Photo

EotM #25 - Theme Discussion: NES / Gameboy Style Theme

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: EotM #25 - Theme Discussion: NES / Gameboy Style Theme

Should this month's theme include rom hack rules? (Discuss Below)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

It's time to begin our 25th Enemy of the Month Discussion topic. The theme of this month will be:

Theme: NES / Gameboy Style Theme
Deadline: Tuesday, May 30th 2017

This was a theme me and Anthus was going to explore before, but it was postponed for various reasons. It was also originally planned to be just NES style, but I felt that was too restricting and decided to allow both NES and Gameboy type enemies.

This theme is to promote simpler enemies and try and discourage heavily scripted enemies to make this month more fair for quest designers who aren't so familiar with scripting. What we are looking for this month are simple enemies with simple behaviors, similar to what you'd expect to find in typical NES or Gameboy games, meaning we don't have to limit ourselves to just The Legend of Zelda here. The NES and Gameboy provides many basic, but fun and entertaining enemies and replicating that style shouldn't be so difficult. 

It would also be nice to try and use appropriate tilesets too, but it's not a requirement. 

Please submit your enemy using the EotM dropbox. Also, please read the rules/guidelines for EotM. Make sure you submit your enemy based on the submission template as this will keep things organized and easy for others to read your enemies.

Good luck to everybody who's participating and I'm excited to see another month's worth of fantastic enemies. 

• Anthus likes this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Defender

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

This theme is to promote simpler enemies and try and discourage heavily scripted enemies to make this month more fair for quest designers who aren't so familiar with scripting. What we are looking for this month are simple enemies with simple behaviors, similar to what you'd expect to find in typical NES or Gameboy games, meaning we don't have to limit ourselves to just The Legend of Zelda here. The NES and Gameboy provides many basic, but fun and entertaining enemies and replicating that style shouldn't be so difficult. 

I'm guessing that this doesn't mean that scripted enemies are out, right? I had several bosses based on some from the Gameboy Zelda's I was planning to make and without scripting, I don't know that they'd even be possible. So, if scripting was supposed to be avoid, I couldn't submit them.

#3 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Scripted enemies are still fine, as long as they got either that NES or Gameboy feel to them. 

For example, your Magnet Man you provided this month is a qualifier, but Mega Man bosses probably pushes it to the farthest this contest will probably allow because they're typically more advanced than your typical NES or Gameboy boss. 

#4 Maikeru D. Shinigami

Maikeru D. Shinigami

Piper of the Essences

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

Ah. A simplistic theme. I am very interested. I am gonna have to remember this.
  • NewJourneysFire likes this

#5 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Since this is a discussion topic, as I said before, I strongly encourage discussion to be held here. We have a fantastic format for getting enemy ideas out there for many of the various creative people out there who would like to make quality enemies for each and every month. 

This month's theme is NES / Gameboy Style Theme. So I feel it'll be very helpful to source many of the fantastic loose tiles some people have submitted to the database that can aid into the creative process of the following contest. Please check these out because not only will it aid the contest, it will also aid the people who shared these loose tiles to the database. 

Gameboy Style:

EZGBZ Expansion Packby Akkabus.

CGBZ Enemies by Hergiswi.

More enemies for EZGBZ tileset by accela2me.

[EZGBZ] JaqDeBlue Enemies by DragonDePlatino.

[EZGBZ] JaqDeBlue Bosses by DragonDePlatino.

[EZGBZ] Big Tektite by DragonDePlatino.

NES Style:

NES P. Compliant 16x16 Castlevania Monster Sprites by FireSeraphim.

Adventure of Link Tiles by Cereal Guy.

Zelda Awakening Enemies by Mero.

Classic Final Fantasy Sprite Sheet by plith.

Classic Tileset NPC's and Enemies by DaLink.

Rat Tiles for Classic (alternative Ropes). by Ica

These are just a few examples of the many great enemies in our database that I believe would be perfectly suitable for this theme. Also, if you don't want to be limited to just sprites you can find in PureZC. If any of these options are unappealing to you, there are many other websites such as The Spriters Resource who offer many sprites and tiles that can be used for enemy creation. 

Don't forget to share your thoughts, and also post comments and ideas for this month's theme. Your enemy idea just may be featured by one of the many intuitive creators in this forum. 

#6 Moosh

Moosh

No fun allowed

• Database Staff

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

Mega Man bosses probably pushes it to the farthest this contest will probably allow because they're typically more advanced than your typical NES or Gameboy boss. 

So the Wily Capsule from Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is fine, yeah? :P

• Dimentio likes this

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Lmao!

i'm feeling conflicted at the moment.

Since that completely contradicts the entire point of this theme I'll let people decide. This will surely be one of the more discussion heavy topics now because I'll have to put it up to a vote. I'm going to bed now soon so I'll create the vote tomorrow.

Wait, is this an actual NES game or am I being trolled here?

#8 Moosh

Moosh

No fun allowed

• Database Staff

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

Wait, is this an actual NES game or am I being trolled here?

It's a romhack, but apparently reproduction carts have been made. So it is possible to play this on a real NES. Depends on your definition of what is an actual NES game I suppose.

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:07 AM

I personally feel these rom hack rules kinda defeats the purpose of the point of the contest, since the entire objective is to have the enemies feel NES simple. While Rom Hacks are capable of the hardware, this boss you shared clearly wasn't what you call appropriate for the time. It feels completely like your typical highly advanced and scripted ZC boss which kinda defeats the point.

But I digress, I'll leave this one open for discussion and also included a poll up above. As for if this contest should include romhacks, I personally think no because they are clearly designed with modern influences and defeats the entire point. But I'll leave this up to the people to decide. 

#10 Naru

Naru

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

I have no idea what rom hack rules are, but I don't  think that boss fits the theme well. I mean regarding higher difficulty it clearely fits the NES-style, not very different to a classic ZC-room with multiple shooters and speedy darknuts, but I understand the theme rather as more simple.

And no wonder I have always troubles with shooters in ZC if most of you are used to such games - never played a megaman-game or similiar stuff ;)

#11 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

When I think of typical NES bosses, I think of stuff like this:

... This guy fights this boss the same way I do. lol (Just a little sloppier)

• Naru likes this

#12 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

15 more days until deadline and we currently have 0 submissions

At this rate, I'm just gonna have to use the default Zelda Classic enemies for this theme. lol

• Naru likes this

#13 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

ZC Wiki Editor

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:54 AM

15 more days until deadline and we currently have 0 submissions

At this rate, I'm just gonna have to use the default Zelda Classic enemies for this theme. lol

You have at least one, although I'm not sure I would want to win by default.

• Joki likes this

#14 Dimentio

Dimentio

Yeah, I don't buy that.

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

I prefer to submit closer to the deadline (and I need to make a test quest for the enemies anyways).

#15 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

ZC Wiki Editor

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

With regard to the ROMHack question...

ROMHacks typicaly do not do things that exceed the physical limitations of the NES. I suppose there are a few that require specific emulator traits, but if the game can run on real hardware, it does not exceed the system capabilities. I think the question is a moot point, unless the hack does something that is only possible with emulation.

There are still companies in mainland China, and nearby Asia, that to this day release games for the 8-bit Nintendo hardware, and for whatever it may be worth, both Super Mario World, and Zelda 3 started their life as NES titles before moving to the Super Famicom in 1989.

Look at titles such as these (below), when determining maximum system capabilities in areas of graphics, maximum sprites (with little to no flicker), enemy complexity, physics, movement patterns, and the like. All of these are standard, released games from the era.

Arabian Dream Scheherazade
Asmik-kun Land
2010 Street Fighter
Batman
Bucky O'Hare
Contra (Japan version)
Esper Dream (and Esper Dream II)
Fantasy Zone 2: The Teardrop of Opa-Opa
Getsu Fuma Den
Gimmick
Gradius II
Guardic Gaiden
Gun-Nac
Holy Diver
Lagrange Point
Majou Densetsu II: The Maze of Galious
Moon Crystal
Snow Bros.
Ninja Ryuukenden II
Ninja Ryuukenden III
Parodius Da
Recca Summer Carnival '92
Salamander
Snow Bros.
Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti
New Ghostbusters 2 (HAL)
Wai Wai World
Wagyan Land (1, 2 and 3)
Zombie Hunter

Some of these could even fool you into thinking that you are playing a MegaDrive title. I find it amusing that Nintendo were typically producing the least technically advanced games for their own hardware.

It might have been better to state specific mapper limitations, or styles based on a range of games, than 'NES capable'. Hell, I have a Chinese clone system that has identical hardware to the NES with a built-in keyboard, a GUI OS clone of Windows 95, and some basic utilities.  :D

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 25 May 2017 - 12:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users