• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

For those of you who don't know, Farore's Wind is a spell that takes you back to your last continue point, for a magic cost. However, this can also be done by dying or using F6 continuing, for free. Why would a person feel excited getting this?

My question is, what would you do to make Farore's Wind a better item? Would you script it? Would it do something completely different than what it currently does now? Do you just bother not using it? Share here!

• Cukeman and Matthew like this

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

It's why I can't help but wonder if hitting F6 to continue can interact with any scripts, or by default loses some attribute of Link or the game.

If using Farore's wind will keep some kind of attribute that hitting F6 naturally loses, then that would be worth it in and of itself.  I'm just not quite sure what attributes carry over or not for either procedure.

EDIT:  For example, if you're wandering around in a dungeon and you encounter a tile that shrouds you in some magical dust.  Hitting F6 to continue would lose that dust, but using Farore's wind would keep that dust on you, and you can walk into a magical shrub to trigger a secret.

Honestly, it's a question I've wondered many times myself.

If I had it do a default action, it would just serve as a teleporter.  Maybe something to whisk you away to the next walkable surface that you're facing;  say, across a pit, or water, or direct warp combos or something.

#3 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

It would be better if it acted like what it did in OoT: You set a warp point with it, and then you can warp right back there. Should be pretty simple to script and it would make it very useful got backtracking.

Edited by Orithan, 14 April 2017 - 05:44 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Sheik and Cukeman like this

#4 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

It would be better if it acted like what it did in OoT: You set a warp point with it, and then you can warp right back there. Should be pretty simple to script.

That would also require extensive testing, it seems really easy to break a quest with that.

• Shane likes this

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

That would also require extensive testing, it seems really easy to break a quest with that.

I keep having this thought.  What if you're exploring a dungeon where something changes and a whole area is now inaccessible?  Like if a floor is flooded?  You shouldn't be able to go back there, but now you might be able to.  Yes, it's up to the questmaker to plan for this, but it does add a whole new layer of planning that they probably didn't need nor want.

I'd rather use it for puzzles.  Or maybe as a more advanced warp mechanism, like using it in front of certain statues.  Similar to the whistle, but faster and easier.

• Shane likes this

#6 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

One idea I had was having Farore's Wind give some kind of buff, instead of warping Link to the start. Like, something like a speed boost, or a boost to melee weapon damage, that lasts until you get hit like 3 times (a lot like the grandmother's soup in Wind Waker). Maybe use it again while the boost is still active to give it up to make an OoT checkpoint/warp to your last checkpoint?

#7 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

What would really make it useful is if it worked like the LttP flute, when it summons the bird.

You'd use the item and be taken to a map showing possible warp points.

The catch would be that you have to access each of those warp points normally and enable them in order for you to be able to warp to them.

It would be even better if you could cycle through maps for each level, so that you could warp from, say, dungeon 5 to dungeon 2, or dungeon 3 to the dark world.

Have fun programming that though.

#8 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

So, aside from scripting it to do something completely different (which kinda kills the point), I can think of a couple different uses for it:

- Acting as F6 in a quest that normally disables it - that is, when there's save points and you have to reset if you die.

- Alternately, in such a quest, you could just have it create a save point instead? That'd be similar in theme.

- Make F6 drain your magic, or similar?

- Finer Control. You could set it up (with scripts or whatever) so that farore's wind brings you to different points than F6 does.

- Even further, maybe have it just warp you back to the beginning of the room, like you drowned?

- You could possibly mess with enemy spawns so that F6 resets enemies and Farore's Wind doesn't?

• strike and Naru like this

#9 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

It would be better if it acted like what it did in OoT: You set a warp point with it, and then you can warp right back there. Should be pretty simple to script and it would make it very useful got backtracking.

I think some portal like in the GB-games would be more than enough for this. A good quest-design should exclude heavy backtracking anyway. I want to use it for puzzles, like for switching to a certain combo in the same or another screen like with a portal, or timed/tricky puzzles that are thought to get you stuck if you mess up, with Farore's wind in mind. Anyway, I think the spells are all rather useless the way they are right know. With Din's Fire you have a wide range attack, though in general it is rather used for screens flooded with enemies (which is not a design choice I favor, not to mention that theses screens often especially include enemies dropping magic) and as secret trigger it isn't that great either. Same with Nayru's Embrace, I am not a big fan of invulnerability, hack'n'slay, invulnerability, potion/magic drops, invulnerability and so on. I would love it though if the invulnerabilty could be switched with a timelimited "block all projectiles" and for Din's fire something like non-dmg magic flames that enlighten dark rooms and reveal certain hidden secrets inside the effect-radius like spirits to talk to for example, fitting the puzzle theme.

#10 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

I suppose Farore's Wind could be useful in a quest that doesn't use continues, like a really short quest or a quest that uses save points instead of F6ing.

Edited by Zagut, 14 April 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#11 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

Here's another option but this may not be a good suggestion on my part. What about if you used Farore's Wind as an attack spell that shoots whirlwind at any enemy pushing them away from you? Just a thought.

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

What would really make it useful is if it worked like the LttP flute, when it summons the bird.

The catch would be that you have to access each of those warp points normally and enable them in order for you to be able to warp to them.

It would be even better if you could cycle through maps for each level, so that you could warp from, say, dungeon 5 to dungeon 2, or dungeon 3 to the dark world.

You mean, something like this?

http://www.purezc.ne...topic=69699&hl=

I don't know if Moosh still has that quest uploaded to Dropbox, but I downloaded a copy if anyone wants to us it.

#13 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

Or just outright disable F6 at all. Save only at specific spots.

#14 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

I have done just that in The Forbidden City (albeit with just the overworld map, not multiple maps). The most annoying thing when designing that was to scale the map screenshot so that it'd fit ZC's proportions and still be readable.

As for the original question, if you aren't using scripts, I can only see the built-in Farore's Wind being useful if F6-continue is disabled.

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

Farore's Wind could be used in a navigation puzzle somehow? Maybe if F6ing is disabled it could be useful? As far as a navigational puzzle goes, one could use some sort of d-map warping to make a physical map space have two continue points, and collecting Farore's Wind is required to access the other area? I dunno if this could work, I'm just kind of spit balling here.

But I do agree that it is farorely useless. If I could script it, I'd make it behave like the Occoos from TP. It only works in dungeons, and can be used to return to a room in a dungeon. This is pretty much how OoT did it, I realize as I type this, and that's where it's from. :P

• Reflectionist, Adem, Shane and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users