• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hello Everybody! 

I finally took the time to learn ZQuest 2.5 :eng101: . You know what that means? I am in the process of making a quest. Well, I've only created some sprites and have plenty of ideas on the drawing board. 

Originally, I was thinking about making another challenge quest like "Liberation of Hyrule" and "Armageddon Quest"  :twisted: , but I have decided against it. 

The quest I am interested in making would better fit the troll category :awesome: . Now, I know few people enjoy troll quests, but let me explain my idea. 

My concept is you are trapped inside a huge house. That is "Mike's Fun House". Link has been captured and needs to escape the house. There are rules to follow, or else Link dies. There won't be very many rules and they will be clearly given to you at the start of the quest. The house will be designed in a way as to try and trick you into breaking the rules. For example, red ground is bad, will be a rule. If you step on anything red, Link will die. I would try and find ways to trick the player into stepping on red ground.

There will also be traps that will kill Link that are not listed in the rules, but they are clearly seen before hand. For example, in a 2D section, you see a thwomp above the path you are about to take. If you walk under the thwomp, the thwomp will crush you and kill Link. Instead, you will need to find a way to cover the thwomp before proceeding further into the dungeon. I will tell the players to use common since at the beginning of the quest.

As for the difficulty of the enemies, I plan on making the quest so that you don't need to use any advance battle tactics to complete it. I would, however, like it to make it difficult, but not overwhelming, at the end.

Now here is my question. Does this quest idea sound like something that has the potential to be good? I am open to suggestions.     

• Ventus, Evan20000 and coolgamer012345 like this

#2 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

This sounds like something I'd get some laughs out of playing. Go for it.

The idea of trying to make the player break rules seems like a neat idea.

• Yloh and coolgamer012345 like this

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

My concept is you are trapped inside a huge house. That is "Mike's Fun House". Link has been captured and needs to escape the house. There are rules to follow, or else Link dies. There won't be very many rules and they will be clearly given to you at the start of the quest. The house will be designed in a way as to try and trick you into breaking the rules. For example, red ground is bad, will be a rule. If you step on anything red, Link will die. I would try and find ways to trick the player into stepping on red ground.

If you want to take it a step further to be even MORE of a troll, make there be one part that you're actually SUPPOSED to break the rule. So you beat all of these rooms, then at the end, there are three paths, one red and the other two another color. Attempting either non-red path results in a game over. Also, to be even more unfair and get into guide dang it territory, make a secret that requires passing through red ground to get to it.

#4 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

colorblind players won't like it.

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

I want to play a game! For many years you and your ancestors would explore the world, walking into strangers houses, robbing them, breaking their things, even sleeping in their beds, without ever so much as a please or thank you. You have abused the right of freedom to such an extent that you don't even have an idea of how inappropriate those behaviours really are. So, since you value the self righteous freedom only you felt like you deserved, you have to earn your freedom.

Right now you are trapped inside a big house. This is not a dream, while you were collecting rupees in the Lost Woods, you were attacked from behind and captured. Look around you and see for yourself that what I am saying is not a lie. The rules of our game have been made very clear. You need to abide by those rules! You will be tempted and encouraged to break those rules, the house is designed to motivate and manipulate you, to ensure that you do break these simple rules. All you have to do is to not succumb to desire.

While you try to escape this house, you'll also face traps that doesn't even abide by these rules. Because, lets face it. I have the "freedom" to do so. Freedom that the Goddesses has denied you right now.

Don't think you can try and trick me, I have cameras installed around the entire house, while I am watching the entire thing on your HD tv, in your home, on your bed, where I think I will sleep tonight. If you survive, there will be shattered pots. Oh yes, there will be rupees.... Missing!!!

Live or die! Make your choice!
  • Shane, Lightwulf, Demonlink and 2 others like this

#6 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

I have to be the one to ask but, did you get inspired from the Saw movie series? :lol: Either way, it's sounds like a potential joke quest! :D 

• Lightwulf and Yloh like this

#7 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

@Evan20000: Thanks, I'm glad that you find my idea interesting. This really encourages me to start creating my game.

@RedmageAdam: Part of what you said is very similar to what I have in mind for my fun house. I don't want to give very much away because the point of my game is to try and figure out my traps yourself. 

@trudatman: I didn't even consider people who are color blind. 

@NewJourneysFire: Wow, you are a great story teller. I almost want to steal your story and use if myself. 

@Demonlink: It is funny that you ask that because my concept does sound a lot like the Saw movies. I have never watched any of the Saw movies, but I do have a basic understanding on what they are about. To be honest I don't remember when I first came up with the idea, but my concept for "Mike's Fun House" is anywhere from 7-10 years old now.  

Thank you everybody for your comments.

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

As long as you don't make it Eddy's Troll Day, you're good to go (people must agree with me on this)

But, I like the idea, I'm gonna have a blast playing through this then :D

• Lightwulf and Yloh like this

#9 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

@EddyTheOliveira: No worries, I watched some of your playthrough on "Eddy's Troll Day". My reaction was, I'm sure glad I'm not playing that game. My quest has the philosophy "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

• Lightwulf likes this

#10 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

Hello everybody!

I have an announcement to make. Around this time last year, I had taken my very first steps in creating my quest "Mike's Fun House". This journey has been enlightening for me. I've learned so much about zquest and creating games in general and I am looking forward to this year's continued production of "Mike's Fun House". 

As of right now, I plan on having nine mini worlds, each with nine levels. My main overworld (that connects everything together) and underworld are about 80-90% done. Currently, level six is near 60-70% done. Production is slow, but each step I take adds that much more to my game.

Everybody's feedback has been very helpful and I always find myself going back to improve on earlier areas. Every time I learn something new on zquest, I find ways to touch up earlier areas. For the people who posted videos on youtube, thank you so much. Watching you guys play has taught me so much about how the general public will react to my quest. 

This is the tread that started it all! It was you guys who encouraged me to take on a brand new challenge.

I can't promise you a quick release, In fact, I don't know when I will complete this quest. I do plan on finishing this quest. When it is completed, I can't promise you that it will be your cup of tea. What I can promise you is this, my quest is creative. If you are looking for an adventure that offers variety, you have come to the right place! Link will be on one of his most bizarre adventures ever. Can you escape Mike's Fun House? Mike is watching you! :superevil:

Anyways, I would like to have a QA. I might even make a youtube video, if there are enough questions. No promises on the video, but I will answer your questions.

• Lightwulf likes this

#11 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

colorblindness doesn't work that way lol.

@ontopic

Do you need any help with scripts? I'm willing to help you out if your having trouble.

Edited by Mero, 21 January 2015 - 09:07 PM.

• Yloh likes this

#12 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

Right now, my quest doesn't have any scrips, but I do plan on learning how to add other people's scripts into my quest from the archive. There are some enemy scripts I would like to use and I might find some good environmental hazard scripts from the archive. I don't plan on learning how to script myself, so I don't expect anybody to write any scripts for me.

If I could script, I would make more advance boss battles, solid FFCs, and I would make those ghosts from Super Mario 3.

Thank you for your offer to help Mero! If I am having trouble using a script, I will ask for your help. :)

#13 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hello everybody! Just want to give a quick progress report for my two year anniversary to the production of "Mike's Fun House".

So what did I accomplish in 2015? Hmm, quite a lot. While 2014 was a year of quantity, I feel 2015 was the year of quality. Overall, not much NEW content done in 2015, but rather older content was upgraded from level 6 downward. Level 7 also got done. 2015 is also the year I took to bold step into scripting. 

I do admit, I don't think I put as much time into my quest in 2015 as I did in 2014.

Regardless, my game will have plenty of content. When finished, this is what you can expect. Content is subject to change, but the final product should look something like this.

1 Full Overworld

1 6 x 15 Underworld

9 Mini Worlds

9 Main Dungeons

4 Arenas

3 Optional Mini Dungeons (With great rewards for those bold enough to explore)

At least 5 Mini Dungeons 

1 Optional Super Dungeon

Each area should feel very different from each other. Every level will have its own unique gimmick. Some gimmicks are stuff you probably have never seen before in Zelda Classic history. 

This quest is inspired my "I Wanna Be the Guy". There are a ton of references to video games with a hint of other references. 

You will laugh and you will cry and you will die witch will cause me to laugh.

#14 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

yes.,  it is thing that is forgotten.

i guess there will need to be very stark contrasts of value. i think it's value. for things desaturated.

what was the occurance of true full colorblindness? i hear sometimes it's partial colorblind.

#15 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

Hey Mike - just had a look at your updated Fun House quest.  Didn't get to any parts where I saw a real progression since last time and I kinda got bored early on since its not as challenging as, well, you know what I mean :cheese:   

As for spending time, my advice to you is to ask yourself what your motivation is for making the quest.  Each and every quest creator has to got to ask themselves the question: why am I making this quest?  And unless you can come up with a very good answer to this question, your quest will most likely end up being cancelled.  If you're writing it for the "general public's reaction" and to be considered "good" by everyone else, then might I point you to the mountains of cancelled quests which were written with the same motivation in mind.

I get the impression that you're a really smart guy Mike.  Smart enough to figure out AQ, LoH and LoH:IE - and even though most people think of those quests as pure fighting, you actually need to be very smart to figure out the tactics behind it.  Smart enough to get started with scripting and get a decent foothold into it.  And from what I can see, your fun house requires players to be quite smart to figure things out.  I foresee that only a minority of players will like this and you should be prepared for this if/when you release your quest.  The majority tend to like easy quests that are visually appealing - and I know that graphically Mike's Fun House has much room for improvement in the graphics department.

I still remember when Link got drunk and then those wavy lines started appearing on screen.  I got dizzy and couldn't clearly see what I was doing.  Quit at that point.  But that along with the lack of challenge were my two biggest gripes with the quest.  Otherwise it certainly was very creative and entertaining up to that point.  Good job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users