What did you accomplish in ZC today?

• Please log in to reply
4954 replies to this topic

#3856 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

With the help of Lejes, my quest now has three global scripts.

Also, level 8 is looking quite nice. It is about 70% done. 

#3857 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

U7FtNqu.png

Testing out a few different ideas. The lower left is the lowest floor, then it goes top left, top right, then bottom right. The idea is to make it so you can see the shadow from the platforms above, but you can also see the floor immediately below you. There is also a step->next, and combo-cycling workaround to make direct warps less touchy. As in, you have exactly one half a second to correct yourself if you touch, or land on the edge.

I might remove the shadows altogether, since it kind of makes it more confusing. In an actual quest, the bottom most floor would just have one-tile high walls where the shadows are with steps leading to the stairs, and the higher floors wouldn't have shadows at all. This might be better. I'm happy with how the 'lower level' tiles turned out though, in spite of being a simple edit. What I really want to know though, is does this actually make sense?

EDIT: There won't be too many 'vertical' sections though. I know platforming isn't always the best in ZC out of the box. :P

• Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 1 other like this

#3858 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

ZaBmkWH.png

Is this the beginning of something evil?

Every time I say I don't want to make/ mess with graphics, here I am... making and messing with graphics. Very WIP shot here. Not really sure how I'll get the layers and "collision layer" all working in tandem, but I have a few ideas. It looks nice in motion. Colors for the rocks are subject to change, and more tiles will be added/ edited so it is not so bland. Also, those green undertones in the lower portions of the waterfall look blue in the editor, so, I'll get right on that. 

This is the music I had in mind for such an area.

#3859 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

I finished and submitted an entry for the next Map of the Month contest. I made a new tileset for it, but it's nowhere near usable. It only has the graphics needed for the map, and no animation. Still, it looks really nice, and I might decide to come back to it and flesh it out a little into something usable for a mini-quest or something.

The idea is to follow the color palette on the NES, but having access to the full palette at all times, not just four colors per tile. I'm also adding layers, so things can go in front of or behind other things. I'm really happy with how it looks, but to be honest, whoever designed the palette for the NES had absolutely no idea how colors work. Even with full access to the palette, I had next to no options on some types of graphics, had to incorporate blues in place of dark greys, and there is no way to make a nice transition between certain shades. I have a bit more respect for the people who designed graphics for some of those old games now.

• Anthus likes this

#3860 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:32 PM

I have officially put Adam's Quest Redux to rest. I simply cannot get motivated anymore with ZQuest and I don't know why. For those that wanted to see my first ever quest rebalanced, I'm sorry. But I cannot keep making 2 screens a month then getting demotivated because of fear of what people MIGHT rate it. What can I do to get back into the groove? I've failed as a quest maker, letting three quests die. First Adam's Quest 2, which pretty much dropped off the face of the planet post Expo, then Link's Blade Crusade which I killed because it was a TERRIBLY flawed idea. Now, I'm killing Adam's Quest Redux because I can't be asked to open ZQuest for more than 5 minutes every 3 months. Three strikes I'm out.

• Avaro likes this

#3861 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

I've been feeling that way too, Adam. Feeling pretty lost any time I open ZQuest. I have parts of a skeleton of something I want to do, but when it gets down to making actual screens for it I can't make anything inspired or distinctive. It doesn't help that I have less free time than usual lately.

#3862 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:01 AM

WYkkXmh.png

More tile stuff. I'm pretty happy with how these turned out since it was kind of on a whim.

(and they glow when they animate.)

• Shane, Eddy, KingPridenia and 1 other like this

#3863 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Perspective is kinda messing with me because I keep viewing those walls as if they're from a sideview platformer instead of top-down.  They look really Metroid-y.

#3864 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

Perspective is kinda messing with me because I keep viewing those walls as if they're from a sideview platformer instead of top-down. They look really Metroid-y.

Yeah, honestly, it kind of bugs me too, a little. Not sure what to do since I don't really want to make the walls too complex. I'm going for simplicity here. :P I was thinking of adding some type of shadow to the south facing walls, but I'm not sure if that helps too much.

And yeah, I had Norfair in mind, for sure. I was also heavily inspired by (read: almost completely ripped off, but still custom drawn) KA's lava in level 5 of his Magic & Fantasy quest.

#3865 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, honestly, it kind of bugs me too, a little. Not sure what to do since I don't really want to make the walls too complex. I'm going for simplicity here. :P I was thinking of adding some type of shadow to the south facing walls, but I'm not sure if that helps too much.

To me it's the lava that's giving off the illusion of sideviewness, I think. That's the part I look at when I completely reinterpret the screen as sideview. I'm not sure how you could fix it, though. Maybe if you made it a little more apparent that the lava is a level below, shifted it down a bit and add some more black at the top of the tile? Also if you didn't place it adjacent to dirt tiles. Lava looks best with some elevated tile or border around it.

• Anthus likes this

#3866 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

I made a lava border to see if it looks any more in line with the top down perspective. These tiles are WIP, and I didn't do the glowy colors yet for the new edges, but this is a proof of concept. I like the shadows too. Not sure if it makes the perspective look better, but it adds a layer of depth, and to me, makes it seem like more of the upper walls are visible. Hmm.

ATDSWNP.png

EDIT: See it in motion.

• Shane likes this

#3867 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:12 PM

I don't think the lava bubbles work so great as a border. It looks less sideview now, but the lava looks like a bubbling mass of stuff instead of being a level below in elevation. What I had in mind was a simpler fix like this:

6oNGmA6.png

• Anthus likes this

#3868 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Is that a hole in the bottom left corner? I think it looks weird not to see any lava there, or at least the solid part of the level that would contain the lava.

#3869 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:47 AM

working on remaking my likelike quest, because the combo table became such a mess(and almost could be again)

but with revamped graphics and that is taking long.

I'm possibly going to need recrutes to do my cutsceens or help down the line. but i;m not allowed to ask for help here.

I had lost intrest for a while, not just with the program, but i guess with the community. maybe because if i'm not doing one I won't do the other. but it happend before.

Edited by LikeLike on fire, 05 October 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#3870 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

touched up my rotating platform script. Now it have movement effects, sfx, and solidarity!

Next up the color cube...
  • judasrising likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users