Photo

Enemy of the Month #21: Winter Time Theme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Enemy of the Month #21: Winter Time Theme (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Overall Enemy

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Useful Enemy

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Creative Enemy

Most Entertaining Enemy

Vote

#1 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:26 AM

Welcome to Enemy of the Month #21!

This month, the theme was Winter Time Theme, the theme featuring enemies with a Christmas and Seasonal spirit! We have some pretty interesting enemies this month. Please look through the enemies and vote honestly and fairly. Submit your votes for the following categories:

• Best Overall Enemy
  • Most Useful Enemy
  • Most Creative Enemy
  • Most Entertaining Enemy

YouTube Video
To watch all these enemies in action without downloading any of the enemies, click on the following video below:

All Enemies Download Link
If you wish to download all the enemies in one get go, click on the following link. This is done so that you don't have to download all the enemies individually: (https://www.dropbox....21 All.zip?dl=0)

The Enemies
Here is all the information and download links for the enemies this month.

Chest Mimic Lazily Submitted Under the Guise of a Christmas Themed Enemy - Moosh

EotM_21_Mimic_zpsmdixrg4l.png

• Description: Chest Mimic is getting in the bare minimum of holiday spirit this year and painted himself red and green. Chests are kind of like gifts, right? Pretend I had the time to sprite a gift chest. And speaking of gifts, he wants to give you the best gift of all: Nothing! Less than nothing even! Being chased through the dungeon by a horrible hopping chest monster with teeth. The true spirit of Christmas. Don't forget to check which side of the chest the chain is on to know if it's safe.

• Version of ZQuest: 2.50.2

• Quest File: https://www.dropbox..../Mimic.zip?dl=0

Snowmaster - Avataro

EotM_21_Snowmaster_zpszkgwgnti.png

• Description: This enemy doesn't move (No bounces for you :P). It summons giant snowflakes from the edge of the screen and shoots them at you.

• Quest File: http://www.mediafire...M21 Avataro.zip

Gannaclause - Anthus

EotM_21_Gannaclause_zpsmohdwrzy.png

• Description:

So... it's not like it is completely Ganon from the original game. The floor falls away if you don't take him out quickly enough. You can jump though, which you might need to do if the battle goes on too long. If you can't kill him in time, you fall, and can retry. Like in ALttP, if you fall during the battle, it will restart when you enter. It's really not super hard though, but you can get unlucky.

There is no scripting involved. It's all editor, ALL THE TIME, BAYBAY! :D Open is up, and look at the tediously set up warps. I added a sound effect for when the tiles break, but it doesn't work with Ganon's roar also playing, for some reason.

• Quest File: https://www.dropbox....Anthus.qst?dl=0

Snowman - Lejes

EotM_21_Snowman_zpsvyc0p4e9.png

Gifts - Yloh

EotM_21_Gifts_zpswy1fhch4.png

• Description:

Ganon is terrorizing Christmas and it is up to Link to put a stop to this. The people of Hyrule have scattered gifts all over Hyrule. Some of them have tools needed to defeat Ganon. Ganon has some gifts of his own, so be careful.
  • Version of ZQuest: 2.50.1

• Quest File: https://dl.dropboxus...681936/Gift.qst

Thank you to everyone who submitted! Now go and vote guys! Thank you and see you in the next EotM competition!  :)

• Anthus, Avataro and Joelmacool like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Recovering PureZC Addict

• Contributors

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

The link to all the enemies have been added. :)

You saved Christmas, NJF. To shed some light here, we had a draft of the thread in the dropbox, and I moved it to the main forum, but I forgot to add the poll, so I went to move it back to the dropbox page, and poof, thread gone. Thankfully NJF was awake when it happened and was able to type up a new one.

• NewJourneysFire likes this

#3 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

First of all, I would like to say I really like the new format you presented these enemies in NJF and Anthus. Something as simple as adding a picture of the enemies next to the description makes all the difference. On a unrelated note, there is actually an end goal in my enemy demonstration NJF on the bottom screen, with the death knight, you didn't go left. It lead you to a Ganon fight and you get to read a suggestive quote from Zelda. 

Anyways here are my thoughts on these enemies. 

Lejes' Snowman was my favorite. This boss had so many different attacks and I loved how it throws fire back at you. My favorite part of the boss was when it lost part of its body and it rolls around in the room on top of all of the other attacks.

While I picked Moosh's Mimic as the most useful enemy, I was honestly tossed between that and Avataro's Snowmaster. I feel Moosh's Mimic could be used in more situations, but both enemies are great regardless. I can see the possibilities with Avataro's Snowmaster in the right situation.

For the most creative it always impresses me when someone does something cool without scripts. That is why I chose Anthus' Gannaclause. I loved how he had the floor combos change to warp combos during the fight. It represents the Ganon from the "Link to the Past" as good as non scripting can get.

I love how there is a new category for most entertaining enemy. I'll admit, I voted for myself. Come on, I was laughing at NJF during the whole time he was demonstrating my enemy.   

Great job everybody and I'm glad NJF and Anthus are continuing the enemy of the month. I actually use some enemies from these contests for my quest and I notice some of these enemies used in other people's quests. 

• Anthus and NewJourneysFire like this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Emily, the Gets Stuff Done

• Database Staff

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

Moosh - Chest Mimic: This sure was an enemy that I made. That last blue chest had a triforce piece in it, but apparently the script I stuck on it calls Game->End() before Link can even play the hold up animation. I think whether or not it plays animation depends on how fast your computer is.

Avataro - Snowmaster: Simple, but effective. The one thing I'd suggest is preventing the enemy from taking knockback. It seems weird to me when a stationary enemy takes knockback unless it's some kind of puzzle mechanic.

Anthus - Gannaclause: The room gimmick is pretty neat, but Ganon will always and forever be my least favorite enemy in ZC. The way he's invisible and moves around unpredictably is frustrating and can get in some cheap hits. And then some of the behind the scenes stuff such as how he doesn't care about solidity for 3/4ths of his hitbox and the fireballs come from the top left instead of the center just feels lazy and hackish. So yeah, I just spend most of my comment on your enemy complaining about a ZC default, sorry about that. :P

Lejes - Snowman: I love this enemy. Just the variety of attacks on the thing and how it counters being lit on fire by shooting fire back at you. It's great. Gets my vote for Best Overall, Most Creative, and Most Entertaining.

Yloh - Gifts: Another simple idea, but I can see a lot of use coming out of it. One hit kill fireballs are a bit much, though. Wins my vote for Most Useful.

• Anthus likes this

#5 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

This has been open for a week now and I feel a week is plenty of time to get your votes in. However, I'll leave this open just for a couple of more days to give those who are still deciding a chance to vote an opportunity. As of this post, you now have two more days left to vote.

#6 Eddy

Eddy

Geometry Dash addict :v

• Database Staff

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

I guess I should probably get my votes in before it's too late :P

I definitely like the new layout and video you have, really makes things more fun to watch rather than listening to my emotionless voice lol. Anyway, time to review the enemies this month:

Chest Mimic - Very cool idea for a chest mimic, but I can't really see how it relates to christmas or winter. Maybe having it look like a present would've suited the theme better :P Other than that, I love the little jingle that plays when you open a chest mimic, and I love how it just jumps straight into you lol.

Snowmaster - Seems like a pretty good idea and I can see this being used for a snow dungeon or area. One thing I'd point out is that the snowflakes seem a bit big, so I can image you can get yourself trapped by loads of snowflakes or something like that.

Gannaclause - Neat idea with the sprites, but it's basically just Z1 Ganon with floor collapsing so it's nothing really special IMO so there's nothing I can really say. I also thought the rules stated "Do NOT submit a preset enemy that comes with any version of ZQuest." :P

Snowman - This was a really awesome boss fight. I really love the cool variety of attacks, and it's also quite challening which is nice. I like the text you get when you lose a lot of health too lol.

Gifts - This is a really cool idea, I love the surprise you get when you open the gifts (be it good or bad). I do agree with Moosh though, one hit kill fireballs are a bit too extreme.

Overall I voted Snowman for best overall, most creative and most entertaining, and Chest Mimic for most useful.

• Anthus, Avataro and NewJourneysFire like this

#7 Avataro

Quest maker xD

• Members

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

It seems weird to me when a stationary enemy takes knockback unless it's some kind of puzzle mechanic.

I didn't think anything of it when I enabled knockback for my enemy. I agree now stationary would be better.

Also something about the snowflakes, I wanted them to "spawn" beyond the screen edges out of sight and then move into the screen from there, but unfortunately that doesn't work, so I made them spawn directly on screen edges instead.

Great enemies everyone :)

#8 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

I also thought the rules stated "Do NOT submit a preset enemy that comes with any version of ZQuest." :P

This is something I also overlooked but it makes sense though. lol I guess since the contest is almost over we'll just let it slide just this once. As a new host to the contest though, I am surprised that the rules wasn't something I already thoroughly looked through. But now is a better time than any. 

• Anthus and Eddy like this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Recovering PureZC Addict

• Contributors

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

It's not completely stock Ganon. It has more HP, and the hunger is set to 9 :blah:

But yeah, I overlooked that too. Mine was sort of a "get the contest started" entry then we got three more good, real entries lol.
  • Eddy likes this

#10 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to close this. lol

Best Overall: Snowman.

Most Useful: Chest Mimic Lazily Submitted Under the Guise of a Christmas Themed Enemy.

Most Creative: Snowman.

Most Entertaining: Snowman, Gifts.

Special Shouts out go to:

• Chest Mimic Lazily Submitted Under the Guise of a Christmas Themed Enemy (for getting the most votes in a single category.)
  • Snowman (for getting the most votes overall.)

• Joelmacool likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users