The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#466 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

I don't think that was ever true. I think they just said that because they weren't confident in its success. It's less embarrassing and easier to move on when a weird new thing fails than when a flagship product does.

Well, I would think that, but they actually did try to bring the GB Micro to the market after the launch of the DS. It ended up being a big flop I believe, but I think Nintendo did have some vague dreams of there being 3 lines. :P

Well, RTU does have a reputation of being an emotional douchbag, but he is right though. There was once a time where specs was all Nintendo ever boasted about. Not saying that they still need to get involved with the spec race though anymore, but some people do believe that Nintendo was never about the specs, but they certainly were.

He's partially right, but it's ignoring two key details: handhelds and Nintendo themselves. In handheld market, Nintendo has never striven to be a powerhouse from the very beginning. The Gameboy was out shined in almost every way by competition (including literally due to the lack of a backlit screen). As far as actually describing themselves as not caring about graphics, I know this dates back to at least the early 2000s as I explicitly remember Nintendo stating that they saw innovation and good games as being more important than graphics when they released the original DS since it was underpowered in comparison to the PSP. So while in the console world Nintendo's modern ideology didn't show up until the Wii, it was a part of the company for much longer than the launch of the system.

There were also some offhand comments he made that were misleading, such as suggesting the disk size of the Gamecube as being the reason 3rd parties left Nintendo during the GCN era (it was definitely a factor, but one of many), but that's beside the point I guess. :P

#467 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

Still haven't preordered since I was too picky on the first night, wanting to get the special Zelda edition. Now I can't at all....I hope I can before it launches though.

#468 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

I'm disappointed with their stance on SD cards for the Switch.  I don't know why they can't allow standard SD cards.  MicroSD cards are stupid expensive to be any use on this system.  Not allowing Flash Drives or external/upgradable HDD was a mistake.

#469 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

There were also some offhand comments he made that were misleading, such as suggesting the disk size of the Gamecube as being the reason 3rd parties left Nintendo during the GCN era (it was definitely a factor, but one of many), but that's beside the point I guess. :P

I believe Nintendo's reluctance to hand out dev kits to 3rd party developers was a bigger issue while it's president at the time calling 3rd party developers "useless companies" would probably be a bigger reason why developers weren't very well in favor with Nintendo during this era. Especially after the whole Squaresoft and 3rd party support controversy during the N64 days. That and Nintendo's monopoly they had during their early days. There were a few particular Blackbond videos I tend to point to nearly every time when people ask me why I'm so harsh on Nintendo. He's done his research here, and I've since been quite critical of Nintendo's business policies. Some of these I've shared in these forums before, and I'm almost certain one of these videos I've actually even shared in this topic already:

I know my attitude is kinda bad with Nintendo. Especially here in a topic where people are of course hyped for the Switch and here we have NJF once again criticizing Nintendo, but are you any bit surprised at this point? lol I try to be fair with my criticism at least. Or at least I hope I am. :P

• Anthus likes this

#470 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

I believe Nintendo's reluctance to hand out dev kits to 3rd party developers was a bigger issue while it's president at the time calling 3rd party developers "useless companies" would probably be a bigger reason why developers weren't very well in favor with Nintendo during this era. Especially after the whole Squaresoft and 3rd party support controversy during the N64 days. That and Nintendo's monopoly they had during their early days. There were a few particular Blackbond videos I tend to point to nearly every time when people ask me why I'm so harsh on Nintendo. He's done his research here, and I've since been quite critical of Nintendo's business policies. Some of these I've shared in these forums before, and I'm almost certain one of these videos I've actually even shared in this topic already:

I know my attitude is kinda bad with Nintendo. Especially here in a topic where people are of course hyped for the Switch and here we have NJF once again criticizing Nintendo, but are you any bit surprised at this point? lol I try to be fair with my criticism at least. Or at least I hope I am. :P

Yeah, yeah. We know all this. You've posted it multiple times. :blah: And that stuff is what I was alluding to, so I'm not sure why you posted it again. :P

In the end, I think a lot of the criticism is well deserved. The only times things like that really get on my nerves is when it starts treading on the lines of acting like people are in the wrong for being excited about the Switch, such as that one Blackbond video you linked. I get being critical and analyzing of the Switch, and believe me I think Nintendo needs to face criticism regarding some of the decisions it's making. But I don't get the point of all the doom and gloom. There was also the fact that Blackbond was a bit ignorant over some of the reasons why the Switch has a chance of being successful over the Wii U. Most notably is that the Switch is apparently a lot easier for developers to make games for and that Nintendo's marketing has been a lot more on point with the Switch, so I think your average person will get the point of the system way better than the Wii U. The ads being shown in Europe are a great showcase of that. Could it still be better? Sure, but it's way better than the Wii U where no one even knew what it was about.

So, I felt that rather than be more analytical and cover all sides, he pretty much just wanted to stick to the points that weighed in favor of his argument so he could use it as an opportunity to bash Nintendo and bash Nintendo fans. That's more the attitude that has been sort of annoying me recently (and not so much here on PureZC, but more on other places such as the Switch subreddit).

#471 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

And YouTube. :P

#472 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Instead of speculation, how about some facts.

http://kotaku.com/ni...ions-1791402953

Sorry for Kotaku link but there's some tidbits in here that are confirmed and good. Here I'll post the highlights for those who don't want Kotaku:

- No backward compatibility for any past controllers at this time, but are considering adding support for "certain controllers" in a future update.

- Will have support for microSDXC of up to 2TB when that particular card is released. All game save data is stored on the system, but digital purchases, DLC, and updates will be saved on the SD card if one is used. Nintendo is researching the possibility of supporting external USB hard drives in the future.

- The "share" button only saves screenshots but support for video capture will be added in the future.

- Miis return but are optional. You can still share them and developers can include support for Mii usage in their games, but they won't be a huge focus of the system. "More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and 'public.'"

- No streaming services such as Netflix will be available at launch, but are being considered for future updates.

- Up to eight Nintendo Accounts can be supported by the system. "The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account."

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#473 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

- Will have support for microSDXC of up to 2TB when that particular card is released. 

Which will cost more than the switch when it comes out.

#474 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Titanfall 2 on Switch?

"Fuck no!" Says developer.

http://segmentnext.c...pawn-developer/

EA also has no plans to release anymore games on the console after FIFA.

#475 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

So when it comes to Smash... I'm honestly hoping we get a new entry, and not just some "deluxe" port of the 3DS/Wii U versions. Why? Because so much has come out since the last Smash game, and will come out before any kind of Smash game if we're to take what has been said on the gaming climate as fact so far. To name a few...

- Tri Force Heroes and Breath of the Wild. The former would probably warrant trophies and maybe music at best, but the latter is a huge release, and not representing it through a stage and either a redesigned or new Link character would be criminal.

- Same for Super Mario Odyssey. Mario himself might not have to change much, but they could at least somehow incorporate the boomerang hat into his moveset (make it an alt special, for instance), and have a stage based on Odyssey.

- Both Splatoon games. Sure, the original got DLC for Inkling Mii fighters and one Inkling trophy, but that was after its release. There really ought to be a Splatoon stage with Inklings as a fighter.

- Assuming the latter stays on schedule—which I do have a couple doubts but we'll see—Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2. Both ought to be represented somehow, though admittedly I'm having a hard time imagining any of X's characters' fighting styles fitting into Smash. But please give us music, and also more music from the original.

- Fire Emblem Fates came out, though we got Corrin as a playable character already. Fire Emblem Echoes is coming and there'll be a new one for Switch in 2018. Hell, the mobile game Heroes has new characters. I know some people might cry foul at this series getting represented even more, but Nintendo will probably at the very least want to promote their latest game, so I expect at least one character from the Switch game.

- Pokemon Sun and Moon. If no new Pokemon fighters, at least a new stage and definitely the music. My hopes would be for Team Skull Boss and Battle at the Summit.

I'd also like for them to bring back Ice Climbers and somehow represent Hyrule Warriors; at the very least, use music from the latter. This would be perfect! Oh, and give us an actual singleplayer mode.

[/ramble]

Oh. And with Skyrim coming to Switch... Dovahkiin for Smash. *runs*

• Adem likes this

#476 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:15 AM

Unless there's a canon version of the Dragonborn's appearance, since Skyrim has such a big character creator to work with, I can't see him in Smash personally. On top of that, while the various Shouts would make decent summon attacks, I'm not really sure how you would set up enough diverse specials to fill a moveset. Sure, there's Unrelenting Force and Whirlwind Sprint, which could be the Neutral and Side Specials, but you still have all of the remaining spots that I'm sure you wouldn't want to just fill with generic spells.

What I could see as more likely to happen would be having someone like Alduin or another dragon as a Summon item. I'd imagine them appearing in the background and breathing fire at the arena much like SNES Andross in Brawl. Sheogorath would be another fun Summon character, with potential to interfere with the visuals or controls, doing something ridiculous to hold enemies down, or something equally random and chaotic. (Imagine something like Peach's Final Smash, filling the arena with healing items, but it's completely random whether grabbing the items heals the user or triggers something like an explosion)

Also, I totally agree on a new 1-player mode like Brawl's Subspace Emissary. Since we have actual Mii fighters now, there's a ton of potential on what you can do. I'd love a story mode where instead of unlocking new characters to use, you unlock attacks and specials that you can assign to your Mii to use in the Story Mode. It was also a lot more fun to unlock playable characters for multiplayer besides things like "Play for 1000 hours!"

(Note: I haven't actually played the 3DS version yet, and I don't actually have a Wii-U, so I haven't played it either. The last Smash Bros. game that I've played was Brawl, so my opinions might be a bit outdated as far as game mechanics go.)

#477 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:28 AM

Plz no dovahsmash.

#478 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I layawayed the Switch at Walmart, so I assume I preordered it!! I'm super excited! Can't wait to get there right as it opens and get the system and Zelda. Woohoo!!

• David likes this

#479 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Plz no dovahsmash.

His smash move would be a swift grab of an arrow and shoving it in to the opponents knee.

#480 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

(Imagine something like Peach's Final Smash, filling the arena with healing items, but it's completely random whether grabbing the items heals the user or triggers something like an explosion)

THE CHEESE!!!! TO DIE FOR!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users