The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#541 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Well, it's official. In my area, it seems every possible Switch bundle, and the bare console are sold out on GameStop's website. But, the Wii U version of BotW wasn't so I went ahead an pre-ordered it. I planned on getting both either way, but I also planned on playing that game on launch day. :P

#542 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

Great thing about Wii U was that I never had to buy more controllers for multiplayer, I just kept using my original Wii remotes. In fact, given how I used GCN controllers for a good chunk of Wii's life, I haven't had a serious need to get new controllers with a new console since... the GameCube. It's, uh, been a while.
  • Anthus likes this

#543 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Great thing about Wii U was that I never had to buy more controllers for multiplayer, I just kept using my original Wii remotes. In fact, given how I used GCN controllers for a good chunk of Wii's life, I haven't had a serious need to get new controllers with a new console since... the GameCube. It's, uh, been a while.

That's true. I didn't think about that till now. In a way, the joy-cons are shaping up to be more streamlined Wii-motes.

#544 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

I'm waiting to see if the Wii U Pro controller becomes backward compatable with an update. I don't care about HD rumble :blah:

Probably not gonna happen though, cause, you know, companies tend to like money.

Well, the Wii U doesn't have gyro controls, which is probably the biggest limitation. :(

#545 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

Well, the Wii U doesn't have gyro controls, which is probably the biggest limitation. :(

Oh. In that case.. *gets out wallet*

#546 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

THAT DIDN'T TAKE LONG

(to be fair the patent's from 2015 so it's not like Sony is stealing the idea outright)

#547 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hnngh~ I'm crying inside. (In a good way)

#548 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

I just called my local GameStop, and they said that all pre-orders sold out in hours. They said that Nintendo has said that there shouldn't be a shortage of systems at launch though. They weren't able to give me a clear number of units they'll be getting in, probably cause they don't know yet, or because they don't wanna get robbed. The lady on the phone said that you can show up as early as 9PM on the 2nd to get one if you pre-ordered, then after that, anyone else in line can get first dibs on the systems in the store. Soo, I'm gonna try that. Either way, I can still get Zelda on the WiiU at midnight, but she said since I pre-ordered it, they can likely give it to me before midnight.

It's kind of funny, cause when Skyward Sword came out, I got a copy two full days early because a good friend of mine at the time worked at a game store (not GameStop) and just gave me a copy.

(The reason I'm so set on GameStop, is cause I use their credit card, and it gets you some good deals/ financing options.)

#549 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Wait. 9PM on the 2nd? Dang. I need to find out if my store's doing something like that because if so, hell, I'm on it. Maybe. I'm not going alone to pick mine up because I need to be sure no one's gonna jump me for my Switch, yes I'm that paranoid. And I don't know if my sister would want to accompany me at that time of night. 

• Anthus and Naru like this

#550 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:44 PM

Wait. 9PM on the 2nd? Dang. I need to find out if my store's doing something like that because if so, hell, I'm on it. Maybe. I'm not going alone to pick mine up because I need to be sure no one's gonna jump me for my Switch, yes I'm that paranoid. And I don't know if my sister would want to accompany me at that time of night. 

I would check, especially if you live near, or in a big city. GameStop is all about midnight launches. I just hope this particular bit is true. I'd hate to show up, and them be like, "Hmmm--uhhhh, No, I dunno who told you that, but you gotta wait till tomorrow". To be honest, I thought about the idea of getting jumped too. This particular GameStop is on a huge campus full of.. obstreperous individuals. I have one friend who will tag along, and probably one other, cause it's a few blocks from the store to the parking garage, but yeah. The Switch struggle is real. #partyquest

#551 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

I got my preorder in at Best Buy within the hour of orders going up there. Wanted no risk in missing out on this thing. It's an online order, so it's just going to show up at the door sometime, hopefully not long after launch day, if not on launch day.

Mostly I'm trying to think about Switch as little as possible. I'm a little too excited right now - haven't felt this excited about a console launch since the original Wii - and I don't want to make the wait any more unbearable for myself!

#552 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:32 AM

Officially only one week away...

... and apparently reports of the left Joy-Con having connectivity issues when removed from the console are everywhere. It's a weird issue and seems to be caused by a signal interruption, and it's strange it hasn't been noticed by now by Nintendo. They're apparently aware of the issue and will resolve it before launch. Unfortunately I have no concrete source on this; the most I have is Polygon saying a Nintendo rep was made aware and they said they're looking into it. If this is true, that means it can basically be resolved with a day one patch via some sort of firmware update. If not... oh boy. This is actually something that concerns me. Maybe they'll replace everyone's Joy-Cons. That'd be nice...

I'm sure some vultures are going to hop on this like it spells doom for the system, but it's far from the first time a system's launched with technical difficulties that were later smoothed out. I would at least like to hear an official statement, though...

Oh, and no VC at launch. Wii U didn't have it either, but it's a small shame. Most of us are gonna be playing Zelda anyway but some extra small things to play on the go might have been nice.

But that's okay, Shovel Knight's a launch title, and it gets the Specter Knight campaign before anyone else does.

#553 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

Also the day one patch will download in the background, meaning you can just immediately start playing Zelda instead of having to wait for the system to be up to date. The update only adds certain online features like eShop anyway, so it's not like you'll be blocked out of playing games while it downloads. That's incredibly good news.

#554 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

This is a week old, but I don't think anyone mentioned it here yet. Someone already took apart a Switch. They're not sure if it was a dev kit, but from a technical standpoint, it looks good, and the guy in the video keeps stressing that it is modular, which means potential upgrades, maybe?

#555 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

I went ahead and preordered Zelda for the Switch, I'm going to get a Switch a bit later. I live next door to Gamestop so I went ahead and saved the gas and walked. They still had preorders available and he said so far they have four extra that are first come first served. He also told me that they temporarily stopped production of the Wii U and NES Classic to keep up with demand so they should have more in stock shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users