Release week: vote about colors

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia is more or less done! I've played through the game and tested and tweaked many things. Many beta testers have also finished, and I thank each of you who tested (as well as anyone who played the expo demo) very much for your input. I added some extra things at the last minute which I want to make 100% sure didn't break stuff, and I'm also hoping another tester or two might finish; but I am planning to go forward with release sometime this week.

The release will also include some extras, like an instruction manual booklet with some bits of modified art, the full library of all my (confusing and terrible) scripts, and several FAQ-style guide documents should anyone want to use those, including a guide on the many different gameplay modes (the settings seen in the expo demo, as well as events where the sequence of the game can be drastically changed, minimalist challenges that are possible, and other weird bonuses.)

Before then, I have a question I'd like to put to a vote!

In the demo and previous betas, Link and Zelda both always wore the same color. Since then I've added an option (which the player can toggle any time by gong to the mode menu) to change Zelda's color, so that if Link wears green, Zelda will wear red. Both options will be available, but I started thinking... which way should be the default?

Posted Image

If you have an opinion, let me know! You can post a comment or PM a vote, whatever you prefer.

...you might also be thinking about complicating factors such as tunic upgrades; I don't use standard permanent tunic upgrades though (there's a level-up system instead), so these default colors will still be relevant up to the end of the game. However, there are color changes for other uses. Here's the full list:
Spoiler

• Avaro likes this

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

I haven't played your game, if you ever felt confused about who is who the different colors should help and I think looking at your screens it also looks better with different colors. Though I think for me it might be better to keep them the same color so I always now who my guys are since I easily get confused when too much is going on on the screen.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:26 AM

I think having them be the same color by default is best. The different colors with the elemental mail look a little confusing, the fire one especially.

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:39 AM

Yeah I think having them to be the same colour as the default would be fine too.

#5 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:33 AM

I'd say keeping them the same colour would be better off in my opinion.

#6 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

Running vote counter:

Same - 3.5
Different - 0.5

I haven't played your game

That's okay! There's a lot of stuff to do in the world and I personally have a lot of trouble getting all the things I want to do done, much less things I'm not really so eager to do (which kind of makes me a bummer for recommending things to, unless the recommendations are very carefully tailored by someone who knows what I'm into). So I totally understand : )

The different colors with the elemental mail look a little confusing, the fire one especially.

Actually, I could change Zelda's color for the fire mail. I was considering making it purple. (This will also make Mickey and Minnie purple, but I can work with that.) Any opinion on that?

#7 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, I'm going to say green as well.

That particular red color is very bold/saturated, too much so to match the brown hair and character outline, but even if you matched it closer, the shared green still makes them look like a team (or perhaps a couple :P).

#8 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

I'll go with same colors as well!

Really looking forward to this being released! I absolutely LOVED the demo.

#9 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

I don't know, I kind of like the different colors.

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:46 AM

I'm going to agree here for the most part. I happen to like the visual appeal of the red dress in 16x32, but not in 16x16. There, the lack of separation and texture make it look rather too standoutish. Moosh is right about armour/ring items as well. You could always use a different shade of green for Zelda, offset a bit toward the blue part of the spectrum, which would be rather pleasant.

I'd also match her eyes to the same as Link, and to her taller sprite, rather than using black for them.

A different shade would make it easier to spot both sprites on the screen at a glance, and recognise them more readily.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 21 December 2016 - 01:54 AM.

#11 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

Running vote counter:

Same - 5.25
Different - 2.25

Well, as I said before, I'll definitely have both color sets available, right at the beginning of the game (there's a settings menu). But it's sounding like I should keep "Same" as the default here, and maybe tweak the Water/Fire Mail colors on "different colors" mode.

You could always use a different shade of green for Zelda, offset a bit toward the blue part of the spectrum, which would be rather pleasant.

I'm not a big fan of having a slightly-different green... it would feel a bit odd to me. But blue-green, or turqoise / cyan... I can experiment with that.

I realized there was a color error in my last picture, on the different Ring Spell color for Zelda. I've corrected it to what it actually is here (it's the Zelda 1 blue ring color).

Also, any opinions on these alternate colors for the Water Mail and Fire Mail?
eQaJeWZ.png
Mickey and Minnie will have to wear these too since they use this same color, but Peter Noone cares about them.

I'd also match her eyes to the same as Link, and to her taller sprite, rather than using black for them.

Nah, I thought about that, but I really wanted her to match her Zelda 1 appearance in overhead view, even though that doesn't really match the technological limitations (since then her eyes would be transparent holes...), whereas I tried to make her sideview appearance match Zelda II Link. Likewise, since Link's eyes inexplicably (actually it's because someone else drew new holdup sprites for the NES version) change to his zelda 1 style when he does a holdup animation, I gave Zelda her black eyes when she does a holdup in sideview, too. It just... felt more consistent with the thing I was basing it on, even if it's not very consistent with itself. I dunno.

Also, I kinda think Link's Zelda 1 eyes look really weird. Especially since they turn red sometimes. Or blue, like he's been exposed to Spice. But then solid brown eyes in overhead sprites also seemed weird because then they look like their eyes are creepy and blank, when you otherwise expect Zelda 1 sprites... so yeah.

Edited by Mitsukara, 21 December 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#12 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Looking at it again I like the different colors a lot less. I like the green/red combination (which was normal and fire in the first example), but regarding the function of the mails it does not really make sense. And I mostly only liked the water mail with different colors since Zeldas blue is more pleasent to the eyes. I dont like the red/purple combination over red/red and the color for the Guardian Acorn has such a slight difference that it is rather irritating than really visible and Zelda looks a bit as if she wears a wedding dress.

#13 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Same by default is my opinion as well.

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

Also, any opinions on these alternate colors for the Water Mail and Fire Mail?

This looks way better. :approve:

• Evan20000 likes this

#15 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

I like the new colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users