Size Limit on Images

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

This has probably been asked a million times before, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but why is there a limit of 50KB for avatars (and 25KB for quest screenshots)?

My only guess is that they're leftovers from this site's conception (apparently, this site is pretty old), and those limits were in place because of internet constraints of the time.

Is that right? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, but it's a bit annoying when I try to upload a new avatar and it tells me the size is too big.

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:04 AM

This should probably be in the Site Discussion forum, but I do actually agree here.  It forces you to crop a smaller avatar, from a scaled down image anyway, so I'm not exactly sure what the smaller file size limit is for, when the cropped image is what's saved to the server, correct?  Granted it's not too much work to open something like IrfanView and resize and crop the picture manually, but it's also rather inconvenient.

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

Well, ironically, internet constraints have sort of come full circle with mobile data plans. Not everyone has unlimited data, so keeping things smaller is still a benefit to people trying to access the site on the go. :shrug:

That being said, another big reason is simply server space. While avatars don't take up a huge amount of data, I'd personally prefer we try to preserve the majority of the filespace for quests and the like. Plus, idk, 50kb seems pretty reasonable to me (it used to be 20kb for reference) since it's pretty easy to stay under the limit if you crop the image yourself, and I feel like no matter how much we up it, there's always going to be a select few wanting it to be even bigger. Is this a common problem for everyone?

Edit: While I know 25kb sounds small for the screenshot database, unless things have changed since I last used ZC, all screenshots are well underneath that size restriction unless you're trying to upload maps, but that's not really what the database is for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users