Status Effects

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

I've been meaning to write a generic status effect library for a while. It probably won't be any time soon, but I wanted to ask if any of y'all had interesting ideas for status effects, like what they do? I figure you can split them up into various "components", and maybe build status effects from them. Here's what I have so far:

• Drain a counter over time (poison, regen)
  • Change CSet (poison turns green, frozen turns blue, etc.)
  • Change Sprites (bunny!)
  • Delay player input (from Forbidden Ascent)
  • Add a graphical effect (little sparkles when frozen, be on fire)
  • Mess with player input (drunk, can't move, must move, etc.)
  • Take more/less damage (magic shield, oil)
  • Add/Remove equipment (bunny)

Any more ideas would be welcome, as well as any way to further split them up into components.

• judasrising and ywkls like this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

Here's a few I thought up (along with ways to implement them), though these are mostly untested. These are in addition to those you listed.

Postive Status-

Attack and defense up- attacks do more damage to enemies and you take less damage from enemies.

Hover- float in the air, allowing passage over gaps and spikes.

Negative Status-

Attack and defense down- attacks don't hurt enemies as much and you take more damage from foes.

Stop- you can't move for a period of time.

Mute- you can't use abilites that require MP for a period of time.

One of the reasons these are still in development is because I got sidetracked into other projects. (Read: Metroid stuff.)

I know enough now to probably rewrite the code for them to be more effective. If you want I can send what I have so far to you, although at present it defintely needs a rewrite.

Edited by ywkls, 21 February 2021 - 08:00 PM.

• judasrising likes this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Delay player input (from Forbidden Ascent)

Nasty but genius.

Add a graphical effect (little sparkles when frozen, be on fire)

There should be a graphical effect for every status effect somehow. That's important for this kind of library in my opinion. Good luck either way!

Some ideas:

Blinded (Draws a white (or black) rectangle over the whole screen)

Confused? Illusionated? (Draws more enemies or random enemy weapons on the screen that are not real)

• Anthus and judasrising like this

#4 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:42 PM

This would be great by using a library of that kind, i miss that sort of things.

#5 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

Confusion effect: Controls become inverted. (Up is down, left is right, etc). THAT, is evil. XD

#6 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Burned/Aflame - Some graphical indication that Link is on fire and have his health decrease over time, but increase his movement and animation speeds. Maybe even create optional scenarios where getting burned actually allows link to access new areas or complete certain puzzles due to his increased speed, similarly to the Pegasus Seeds from the Oracle games. There could even be a sort of "Hot Pepper" item that allows you to gain this status manually.

#7 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

Sounds like what you are doing could make it possible to add multiple forms like goron, zora, deku, mermaid link?

I remember baby link in one of the oracle series and didn't flow of time had an enemy touch that made your items play roulette? And the curse from wind waker that made you move into the opposite direction. And didn't the oracle series also have link squashed or flatened? Couldn't it be also used to transport a status from one point to another like an alternate to the iron ball in the eagle tower? There is also wall link from between worlds. And wasn't there a game that turned link to stone for a short time? Or a status that kills/warps you after a certain time for games or riddles with time limit?

Also I don't really know much about libraries, but wouldn't it be worth to combine this with an enemy library? Like freezing enemies to behave similar to link frozen.

#8 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

i don't like get poisoned or cursed, but i admit that stuff like this add fun to the game, a classic is that curse that don' let you change equipment, here few othe ideas :

- "status lock" that don't let you have change status, if you enter in this status when you aleady poisoned, you can't heal! if you enter when you are "normal" you cannot have both positive and negative status effects!

- "HP 25 %" this bing your MIN Hp to the 25% of the MAX Hp, no matter if in that moment you have more of less of 25%

- "ovedrive status" : invincible + critical hits + unlimited magic for 15 seconds then Hp drop to 1 !

- "near fatal"..wait this already exist, is the peril beam!

#9 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

Alter enemy behavior - in particular, change tiles (hallucinations) and homing (maybe also step speed, but that can be buggy)

Replace all instances of some combo/type/flag with another

#10 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:24 AM

Alter enemy behavior - in particular, change tiles (hallucinations) and homing (maybe also step speed, but that can be buggy)

Replace all instances of some combo/type/flag with another

Like setting Damage and Weapon damage to 50 hearts. :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users