Quest Idea

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Wow, it has been three years since I decided to embark on this journey of making my very own quest. This post is more for me than anyone else, but you are more than welcome to respond and ask any questions. 

It is funny, I hardly did any planning for my quest at all. In fact, I just start to throw stuff together and figure out how to make it all work out. For me, this is a lot of fun. One bad thing about this is I always go back and do so many touch ups. Some of them are super minor while others are very major. Seeing how my quest rated much higher during its second expo vs its first has shown me that going back to do my touch ups has really paid off. During the second Expo, Eddy mentioned to me how world 2 was much smaller than world 1. I really though about it and added more content to every world I created. Some of them got multiple mini dungeons added, while others just got a single mini dungeon. Regardless, my worlds have a lot more content in them now. Believe me, I'm not just throwing in stuff without quality as well. It all fits naturally with the nature of the game. With that said, some worlds will be significantly shorter than others. I can promise that each world will have a very unique gimmick to it, your objective and method to finding the main world dungeon will be different for each world. That is the point.

I also have the bad habit of going, hey this is a great idea for World 4, lets go back and add it in. This is especially true when I just learn how to do something new in ZQuest. Even if my great idea is just for one screen, that one screen has more quality because of my newly discovered ideas. That is one reason why it is taking me so long to complete this quest. That and I have going though a couple periods of not touching the quest for 3-4 months at a time. My life is full of activity at this moment, but at this moment, I always find time to work on my quest for at least a couple of hours a week. 

My quest is very ambitious. I'm not trying to become the next "Hero of Dreams", but I do want my quest to be great for what it is. I'm going to go ahead and say this, I plan on using every available enemy slot for the enemy editor. That is right, there will be more than 400 unique enemies for my quest. I would say at least a third have their own unique sprites added to them, made by me. Probably about a quarter to a third of them have some sort of script on them. I've also gotten very clever with making unique enemies from the editor. I'll admit, I've some of my enemies are more like two to three enemies because of tribble and the basic boss creator script. Enemy of the Month has provided me with many cool scripted enemies to use. I'll admit, I mainly use them to make bosses and mini bosses. There are some puzzle elements to my quest, but I would say my quest is more battle focused. 

With all of that said, Worlds 1- 6 are very close to being 100% done with every single update. World 7 is more like 90% done. World 8 is probably 70% done. Within the next couple of months, hopefully by the end of Match, Worlds 1 - 8 should be 100% ready to be tested by official beta testers. That is right, I plan on finding official beta testers for my quest. When I am ready, I will post the final demo on this website with Worlds 1 - 3 ready for the anyone to play. Those who want to continue will have the opportunity to get a personal copy with everything unlocked if they can commit to being a beta tester.

There is so much content in this game it is unbelievable. Most players may not see 100% of everything. There will be some hidden areas that take clever exploration and revision to find that provide powerful items. There are some optional bosses with great rewards. Finally there will be a super challenging gold ring standard super level that will be unlocked after defeating the final boss. It will be a true test of endurance.  

Anyways, this is my current update and progress with my quest. It is still active and I have every intention of completing it. Hopefully by 2017 to early 2018 at the latest.

#17 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

This should be my final yearly update before "Mike's Fun House" is finally finished. This will list what is currently done, what I have left to do, and some changes in plans.

Worlds 1 - 9 and Levels 1 - 8 are done! 

Level 9 has the map completed, and most of the warps are set. Just need to place all of the enemies and test this bad boy out. This dungeon will be one heck of a finale. 

Gotta make a final boss. Plans are on the drawing board and I have a good idea on what I want. It will defiantly be a final boss. 

The Overworld and Underworld are done! 

The enemy slots are almost 100% filled up. 

One of the endings has been created. Yes, there will be multiple endings (pretty much all of them can be accessed easily without having to create a new file). (true ending, joke ending, bad ending, troll ending).

Because my final dungeon is so awesome, I am deciding not to put an optional super dungeon. I want the final dungeon to be the conclusion to this crazy quest. 

In terms of giving out the quest password at the end, I probably will do that for a reward. I'm a little afraid of releasing it because this quest is super sloppy.

To give the finale that extra pizzazz, I'm going to use some MIDI music for the final bosses and final dungeon. I already have the tracks selected and downloaded. 

"Mike's Fun House" isn't a visually impressive quest, but it should be enough to get the job done.

With in the next month or two, I should have the quest fully created and ready for people to play! I will release a final demo for anybody to play that will only have the first few world's unlocked. During that time, anybody who wants to beta test the full game will be free to do so. All you have to do is ask and promise that you don't spoil the contents to non-beta testers. The beta-testers will help me balance my quest better. Get ready!

To end this all, I want to make a special thanks list.

purezc.net

vgmusic.com

Enemy of the Month

Scripting Database

Tilesets

Anybody who gave me advise (I will be more specific in the end game credits)

Everybody who posted youtube videos of my demos 

Beta Testers (You will be listed in the end game credits)

My friends and family 

I wanna be the Guy (What "Mike's Fun House" is based off of)

yahoo and google images 

Other people's quests where I stole I mean borrowed some ideas

Thank you for playing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users