• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Current Race Plans

• Nothing currently.

Keep in mind that impromptu races will happen whenever people in the chat want them to happen. This section is more to let people know of any pre-planned races with at least 1 day of forewarning.

Racing? What is this?

People get together on Skype and casually race each other at a video game through a call (preferably with voices included since that's easier to hear your screams of frustration keep up with for the other racers, though you can text chat if you really have to or want to).

Games we will be racing will depend almost solely on what everyone is interested in racing. It could be Zelda Classic Quests (though we may want to go for shorter ones), Zelda games, Mario games, Sonic games, or even modern stuff. There are a lot of possibilities here!

Keep in mind this isn't a really formal thing that requires a significant amount of training to even be allowed to participate. During our first race of Super Mario World, we had wildly varying levels of skill and a few people didn't finish the race for various reasons. We also had someone going in completely blind (they never played Super Mario World before). The entire point is to have fun, so we're really not expecting pro speedrun gameplay or even knowledge of the game! You can bring it if you have it, of course, but it's not a requirement!

What are the rules?

The rules will vary depending on the race and the preference of the racers, but the big rule we'll usually be following is no emulator trickery. This includes fast forwarding, save states (unless we waive it for particularly gimmicky game choices), rewinding, playing a TAS keystroke recording instead of playing for real, and such.

Basically, don't be an uncooperative jerk by purposely trying to cheat your way to victory. That's not fun. It's also pointless since there are no real prizes for winning these things.

Do I need to record or stream this stuff if I race?

Not unless everyone participating in a particular race is keen on doing it. Everyone during the first session streamed their stuff through twitch so that other PureZC members could see it happening live, but that's not really a requirement since we're just doing this for fun.

Recording Races for Race Videos?

At some point in the future, we may want to start making compilation race videos that show an entire race unfolding with most or all of the involved racers. If a particular race group wants to do this for a race (remember this isn't a requirement), everyone involved should try to do these things:

1. Recording the video. I think for our purposes, live streaming recordings would be fine if you don't have hard drive space or CPU to spare if you want to stream. But if you want to record locally and can handle that, please do so since it's probably more reliable and easier to edit. :P
  2. Someone recording the Skype call. It'd be preferable if the recording didn't have the game audio because everyone won't be playing the same length of time maybe, though it's fine if you want to be super lazy and just use the video recording audio.
  3. If you do record Skype audio off by itself, be sure to sync it with when everyone starts playing by clearly doing a countdown or something.

I'll try to have a more in-depth guide here on a way to do this stuff somewhere down the road. But for now, all I can suggest is making sure this stuff works ahead of time if you really want to do it. That means testing your recording stuff before you race while also in a Skype call (Skype eats resources like crazy).

Example of what I'm talking about with a compilation video from people far more entertaining than me.

Do I have to wait for the races Nick announces to race people at something?

Nope! In fact, I highly encourage you to race whatever you want whenever you can if you can get a group of people together. You can use this thread and/or the Skype race chat as an announcement and gathering medium so long as it's involving multiple PureZC members!

I've re-iterated this a few times in the thread, but you don't have to wait for me to announce races to race. Part of the reason the Skype chat exists is for people to organize races whenever. This can be short term or longer term. If you figure out a time with a few people and want to see if others are interested on the forums, post about it!

Also feel free to share race videos in here if you have any amongst PureZC members and I can add them to the OP.

The Skype Race Chat

Gathering for a race will happen on Skype. For this purpose, we have a general race chat group on Skype. Here's how to get in on it if you're interested:

1. If you haven't added me on Skype already, I'm EternalKyo (my display name is "NickZC"). I have my Skype settings set to only accept IMs from friends, so you'll have to send me a contact info request. So that I'm not confused, you should note who you are on PureZC if it isn't obvious. :P
  2. Send me a message letting me know you want in the race chat.
  3. I'll add you to the race chat when I get a chance. Sometimes I'm busy, so this might be delayed.

If you have any questions related to the races, feel free to ask.

Original Topic

Anyone interested in doing some video game races?

Edited by Nick, 09 July 2014 - 08:03 PM.

• Rambly, SpacemanDan, Haylee and 2 others like this

#2 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

E-peen is the most important prize of all.

...In all seriousness, yes I'd be up for this.

#3 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Depends on the game but I'd probably be up for it.

So... uh... anyone wanna do A Link to the Past with me :twisted:

• LinkFan212 likes this

#4 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'm not sure if there would be anything I would actually do decently at, but I'd probably give it a shot. :P

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Sounds fun to me! I'm in!

#6 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'd be down for Super Mario World.  My PB is about 12 minutes, though I'm sure I can do better with practice.

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

I would do it, But I do not know how to Stream.

#8 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Kind of an odd answer, but I don't like being in races because I'm bad at racing. However, I do like to watch races. I'm more of a casual and challenge run gamer than a speedrunner/racer.

#9 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Kind of an odd answer, but I don't like being in races because I'm bad at racing.

Well. Like I said, I'm not expecting racing pros to join up for this. I'm fairly certain that there will be some games we'll probably be racing that are going to be games I suck at to the point of probably not being able to beat them during a racing session or I'm just not going to care about going fast through at all. But I still want to give it a try just to hang out with people and have fun. Of course, there might be people really good at some games also participating (I'm probably going to suggest one or two games I'm decent at). But you shouldn't worry about that since you're definitely not going to be the only person bad at racing or even trying to seriously race if you participate.

Of course, if you're still not interested, that's okay. I just wanted to mention that to make it clear we're not expecting racing pros.

#10 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Better off going on SRL for that :P

• Jared likes this

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I wouldn't be able to race any ZC quests, since it's been forever since I played one XD.  I'd race LTTP or something.  The question is if in-game glitches can be abused.  Because if they can, LTTP has plenty to work with, especially the GBA version.  Also, whether or not savestates can be used.

#12 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

I wouldn't be able to race any ZC quests, since it's been forever since I played one XD.  I'd race LTTP or something.  The question is if in-game glitches can be abused.  Because if they can, LTTP has plenty to work with, especially the GBA version.  Also, whether or not savestates can be used.

Like beating it in less than 5 minutes with minimal effort (SNES version)?

Edited by thepsynergist, 04 January 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#13 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I would like to do races and what not, sounds fun. The only problem is if I am to be talking through Skype it has to be with people around my age (14) because my parents don't want me talking to any older people. They don't trust me to make good judgments sadly, so I might not be able to talk through Skype, but I can type, but that would interfere with game play i'm sure it's jsut for fun. I can be in the call, but not say anything. I still hope I can play, it sounds fun.  :D If someone is in the age group of 12-16, I can talk, otherwise, no. :(

#14 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

I would like to do races and what not, sounds fun. The only problem is if I am to be talking through Skype it has to be with people around my age (14) because my parents don't want me talking to any older people. They don't trust me to make good judgments sadly, so I might not be able to talk through Skype, but I can type, but that would interfere with game play i'm sure it's jsut for fun. I can be in the call, but not say anything. I still hope I can play, it sounds fun.   :D If someone is in the age group of 12-16, I can talk, otherwise, no. :(

I can not skype, But I can type.

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#15 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

I could do it as well (I've done partial races a couple times already) but I have a really weird availability, so it'd have to be like on a Sunday/Monday evening or something when I wasn't working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Racing, Casual, Skype

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users