EZGBZ Palettes Thread

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

So, people always complain that EZGBZ's palettes aren't very pretty to look at (and rightfully so). While I appreciate the effort the creator has put into them, I don't like them very much either. That's why I'm making this thread! Everybody who has some EZGBZ palettes handy that he wouldn't mind sharing: this is the place to do so!

I'll make a start with a few palettes I've created.

IPB Image
Green Hyrule

IPB Image
Marvelous Mints

IPB Image
Volcano Adventure

IPB Image
Kakariko Colors

IPB Image
Deepwood Shades

With a little effort we could gather a nice collection of palettes. GBC quests are popular right now, so this might be a useful resource should people be willing to contribute. Have fun!

This is also the place where you can post any palette requests for the EZGBZ tileset!

Edited by Yoshimi, 07 August 2012 - 05:09 PM.

• Jared likes this

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

These are marvelous. I'd love to see so much more from you, it would be nice to replace all the blinding palettes in EZGBZ with these.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thanks icon_smile.gif I will see what I can do. While it doesn't take too long to make these, it still takes a good while. Two of them (1 & 4) are actually sort of old and I only retouched them the slightest bit. Any further custom work would probably look more like 2, 3 & 5 (with that slightly pastellish feel to them).
And then I have a few palettes lying around that Joe123 ripped back in the day (zero eyeburn quality) that would only have to be reorganized. (Anybody interested, by the way? Post it here or send me a PM and I would happily provide you with screenshots.)

I actually toy with the idea of remaking the EZGBZ sprite palettes (not the organization, only the colours) because I'm not too fond of these either. I have some pretty nice colors for them in a file and it would actually only be a matter of effort.

#4 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Those palettes look good, Yoshimi. icon_thumbsup.gif I hope that people end up sharing more palettes because EZGBZ definitely needs some better ones.

This is slightly off the wall, but one of the main issues I have with the palettes that have been used for pretty much every Gameboy tileset is that they use the colors from the ROM instead of reasonably translating them to what you would see on the Gameboy screen ("Gameboy" colors mode in emulators such as Visual Boy Advance). Most Gameboy games purposely made their colors really bright and contrasting since the Gameboy was not a very bright system.

The Link's Awakening palettes, for instance.

http://portfolio16.de/zelda/map4/

Compare these maps taken with the "Gameboy" colors with the really bright colors from the ROM and tilesets like EZGBZ.

IPB Image
Tail Cave palette from EZGBZ

IPB Image
Tail Cave from an emulator using "Gameboy" colors as opposed to the ROM colors.

Even though things look a bit faded and "depressing" (as a random comment I found in a Google search put it), this is overall far easier on the eyes.

I mostly wish someone would go through a Gameboy tileset and translate it to the "Gameboy" colors as opposed to just directly ripping the colors from the ROM. I would do this, but I don't have enough familiarity with the Gameboy games to even start approaching this (I haven't beaten any of them) and I have a lot of things on my plate as it is. icon_shrug.gif

#5 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Funny you should bring this up. It seems Akkabus' pallettes are (almost) all based off of the different areas in the Oracles games; they're all named after the different areas. So, I believe they were actually made by Nintendo and Akkabus just copied the pallettes.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we added a few nice pallettes to the tileset. Since I just updated the tileset for 2.5, I could always add your pallettes to it and submit an update.

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Nick, I have a lot of these which you are talking about stored in folders on my notebook. They aren't taken from the eumlator (well they are, but not by me); I've found them on VGMaps. I will look into what I can do about the sprite colours. They would be a lot more like that Link in the screenshot you've posted.

Lightwulf, go ahead. icon_smile.gif I sure don't mind at all.

Edited by Yoshimi, 04 August 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#7 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Lightwulf, go ahead. I sure don't mind at all.

Okay. I just don't know the best way to do this; exporting pallettes takes all of the pallettes, not just a selection of them.

I don't know for sure, but if you made your screenshots so I could download them (they just come up as "X.gif" now), maybe I could grab the pallettes from them.

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

They are in .png format. Works just as well as .gif. Just right-click on one screenshot, choose 'save' and then you can grab from them just like from any .gif.

Edited by Sheik, 05 April 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#9 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Lightwulf, you are encountering the stupid PNG alpha transparency script that activates with Internet Explorer (even though it hasn't been necessary for several IE versions). We'll be getting rid of that eventually. icon_frown.gif

In the meantime, try quote replying to Yoshimi's post and you should get the real urls in the post reply box.

#10 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wow Yoshimi, these look great, and I was a fan of GBC with the bright palettes! They look ridiculously natural, especially after seeing Nick's comparison up there. I never noticed how drastic this palette issue was.

Edited by Hergiswi, 04 August 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#11 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thanks, Nick! That solved my problem. I got the screens now.

#12 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Moo2wo's Field Palette:
IPB Image

Sunset Peak Palette:
IPB Image

Edited by Dragonite, 06 August 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#13 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

These are great! Thanks Dragonite!

IPB Image
Pastel Fall

Giggidy's Edit:
IPB Image

Edited by Yoshimi, 08 August 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#14 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Awesome!

I went ahead and added pallettes in the order listed in this thread. I'll be crediting the creators in the update when I submit it for posting.

The only screenshots I didn't touch were in Nick's thread. I think he said the first one was already in EZGBZ, and I wasn't sure if he really wanted the pallette in the second shot added.
Also, I just wanted to mention, I only grabbed CSets 2, 3, 4 and 9 from each screenshot, making it so only the first 4 lines of each pallette were filled. In the screenshot for Moo2wo's Field, CSet 9 was identical to CSet 10, whereas the other screenshots' CSet 9 was different; I was thinking I should change Moo2wo's Field pallette's CSet 9 to match the others, but I wanted to know if you would agree.

Anyway, I named Moo2wo's pallette "Field (Moo2wo)" to distinguish it from other pallettes; otherwise, I could only fit the pallette names and not their creators. Gigiddy's edit I named as "Pastel Fall 2" (and yes, "pastel" has only one L in it).

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I will continue to monitor this thread for further postings.

Edited by Lightwulf, 06 August 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#15 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Also, I just wanted to mention, I only grabbed CSets 2, 3, 4 and 9 from each screenshot, making it so only the first 4 lines of each pallette were filled. In the screenshot for Moo2wo's Field, CSet 9 was identical to CSet 10, whereas the other screenshots' CSet 9 was different; I was thinking I should change Moo2wo's Field pallette's CSet 9 to match the others, but I wanted to know if you would agree.
Sounds reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users