Photo

Screenshot of the Week 612

Dimentio Ventus Ecruteak Zaxaphone Joelmacool ywkls Demonlink

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 612 (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

It's great to see such a high turnout this week. So many great screens to choose from! :)

Ventus
Ventus.png
Sloppy Screen is sloppy.

Ecruteak
Ecruteak.png
It's a cold and it's a broken bay.

Zaxaphone
Zaxaphone.png

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
All the dog wanted to do was to bring that seashell back home with him...

ywkls
ywkls.png
You know, I bet that should shut that down before moving on...

Dimentio
Dimentio.png
aesthetic ice

Demonlink
Demonlink.png
"Wait! This shield might be strong enough to block that thing!" (This is an official gameplay shot as well). ;)

Good luck everyone! :D

• Joelmacool and Naru like this

#2 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

had i not nulled for participating, demonlink would be my vote. i love the dried ivy hanging from the wall. the dungeon has a nice balance of content and its a great screen overall. nice job

#3 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:27 PM

I'm nulling my vote as well due to the problem of co-creator bias. All of this week's screenshots are rather nice and I'm pleasantly surprised by this week's high turnout.

• Cukeman and Zaxarone like this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

Didn't vote since I'm in this one, so here's my thoughts.

Ventus- About the only thing I like about this screen is the sign. Your caption otherwise captures my feelings on it.

Ecruteak- A pretty good shot, though the palette looks a bit too green for my taste. Otherwise excellent,

Zaxaphone- I think I've seen this shot before.... oh wait! In the critique thread!  :bounce:  I like the light shining down from above a lot.

Joelmacool- I really, really like this... especially the water. Other than mine, this and Dimentio's is my favorite.

Dimentio- Although it is hard to see what's going on, this definitely channels the ice palace aesthetic. A tie with Joelmacool as my favorite competitor.

Demonlink- I really like the waterfalls and the vines on the walls. They look like tiles I might want to use someday.

For the most part a solid showing by all!

• Joelmacool likes this

#5 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

For me it came down to Demonlink and Dimentio. Both very nice dungeon shots, I ended up going with Demonlink though perhaps somewhat arbitrarily.

I thought Zaxaphone also had one of the most interesting shots, I think the foreground trees are a nice idea, but I think you have to play around with your palettes/translucent shadows. Need to do something to dull the blue color in the leaves.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

I voted Dimentio. The palette doesn't contrast too strongly so it's a smidge easier on the eye. Also that overlay pretty much created atmosphere, it kind of gives me Lost Isle vibes for some reason.

#7 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

Looks like it's time again.

Ventus: Your screen is a little sloppy, I will agree. I can't really agree with the sand just starting out of nowhere. Your signpost graphic is very nice, though.

Ecruteak: Looking back, I feel that my screen's a little generic. 

Zaxaphone: The light streaming down from the trees is very nice. Other than that, I feel this screen's a little bland.

Joelmacool: This screen's one of the better ones here. However, I just think it's cluttered. also blue palmtrees

ywkls: Another nice Metroid screen. The colours are a bit vibrant for my liking, though.

Dimentio: This screen looks nice, but I think that's just the filter doing its job. If it wasn't there, this would be a bland, empty screen.

Demonlink: Probably my favourite out of the bunch. Colour usage is very nice, and I like the overall design. My only complaint would be the random rocks, but that's nitpicking.

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Ventus - Generally seems nice, though I do feel like the grass-sand transition is a bit too straight and looks a bit unnatural. Also seems weird how the sand tiles just randomly cut off before the transition. Besides that, not a bad effort.

Ecruteak - Pretty nice shot. I like the way you used one of the Tarm Ruins palettes to make the screen seem very atmospheric with a thunderstorm and overall coldness. The screen itself is nice and I like the way it generally looks.

Zaxaphone - I really like the look of this shot. I especially like the light rays coming from the sky going through the trees. Definitely makes the screen look very nice.

Joelmacool - Really solid work, great use of NewFirst yet again. Also really like the transition between the beach and the grassland. However, I feel like the beach area is a bit too overcrowded with trees and probably would look better if they were spaced out a bit more.

ywkls - Gotta say, this screen seems very Metroid-like. I really like the general look of the screen, though I dunno what that random fireball is doing on the right side.

Dimentio - Probably one of my favourites this week. I love the mist and generally ice look, makes the screen stand out really nicely. Got no complaints with this one, great job.

Demonlink - Another fantastic shot. I like the leaves growing on the walls, makes the dungeon feel very ancient and abandoned. One tiny critique though is with the subscreen text, it's kinda hard to read the DMap title. Took a while for me to realise it says "Dawnwood Sanctum" because of how close N and H look alike. But anyway, that's incredibly minor, great job anyway.

It was very close between Demonlink, Dimentio and Joel this week, but I'm going for Demonlink.

• ywkls likes this

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

ywkls - Gotta say, this screen seems very Metroid-like. I really like the general look of the screen, though I dunno what that random fireball is doing on the right side.

It's supposed to be the flames of the ship's engines, but I couldn't find good enough sprites in time for the contest. Fortunately, Moosh has since provided some.

• Eddy likes this

#10 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

I'll admit my screen is pretty bad, the composure is is bad, straight lines, desert cutoff looks odd, the funky sign. Eh I give it a F for effort lol. then again I haven't done anything zc related in years and I was just submitting for the fun of it.

My vote went to Zaxaphone, I love the design of the screen, and the trees and sunbeams peaking through is quite nice. I have a fetish for classic tilesets. They always make me feel good when looking at them.

• Neppy and Naru like this

#11 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:33 AM

I really like the effects and the lighting in Zaxaphone picture there. My vote this there for him even with the tall trees in the shadows which i really really likes makes it mythical / mysterious to mez.*

I really need to find a reverse ray overlayer to use from some of my map areas to give them more shadow.  

Spoiler

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 23 May 2017 - 01:34 AM.

#12 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:46 AM

Dimentio had me at aesthetic ice, plus this screen is so cool. Literally LOL.

Dimentio gets my vote

#13 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Ventus- You're too hard on yourself. The biggest issue that catches my eye is the water not matching, but otherwise, it's not terrible, just not really excellent.

Ecruteak- It's not bad, but it looks REALLY cluttered and hard to navigate. You went way overboard on the detail. Sometimes, less is more.

Zaxaphone-Very nice shot. Not sure if I really like the trees in the foreground, but I get what you're going for and I can't say I'd have a better idea.

Joelmacool- This is really good, it's detailed, but it doesn't feel cramped or cluttered. The only thing is that the trees are a little much, maybe cut a few of them out? Especially the cluster of palms.

ywkls- Nice Metroid screen. Well done.

Dimentio- This is my favorite screen. Maybe a bit heavy on the fog effect, but otherwise, it's just about perfect. This is what I'm talking about when I say that you don't need a bunch of stuff on the ground to be a good screen.

Demonlink: A solid dungeon screen, excellent use of the tileset.

In the end, my vote went to Dimentio. Really nailed it this week.

#14 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

Ventus: I actually assumed the darker water was just deeper. The only thing that irks me is the sand. It seems to cut off suddenly. Other than that, it's just not as good as the others.

Ecruteak: I can see the gripe that the ground is a bit cluttered. I don't mind it too much, but in game it would depend on the solidity of said ground pieces. It does looked cramped. But as a screen alone, it looks pretty nice.

Zaxaphone: The trees are really cool. The screen feels kind of empty, but still looks really nice. No complaints here.

Joelmacool: Visually it's excellent. And I feel the ground details are placed in a way which compliments the screen without compromising maneuverability in game.

ywkls: Nice screen that definitely has that Metroid look. Unfortunately, it's not really a style that appeals to me personally.

Dimentio: Nice job taking a basic ice room and making it interesting by giving it depth with special effects. Would that be the right terminology for this? If anything, the wizzrobes make the screen look kind of odd. But the room itself is great.

Demonlink: Super solid dungeon screen that looks fun to play through and lovely as a screenshot. Really well done.

I went with Dimentio for the added effects. Just narrowly over Demonlink and Joel.

#15 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

A lot of good material this week. It was a bit tricky to decide, but I ended up voting for demonlink. Looks to be a well designed dungeon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dimentio, Ventus, Ecruteak, Zaxaphone, Joelmacool, ywkls, Demonlink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users