First Beta and Future Betas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

With some feedback from the demo, I've fixed some bugs and made some small changes, as well as some additional features.

The big new features are additional options for the quest.

Elder Quests now have a harder difficulty option, which usually means you'll need to explore more of the Island and Shrines to complete it. Item requests are still pretty easy though.

One option will replace the 20 Heart Pieces on the Island with 5 Heart Containers that can appear anywhere except the Elder Shrine.

The Expansions option replaces the Bomb Bags and Quivers with expansion style items like those seen in my other quests.

You can choose what the total number of Hearts you'll end with now. 20 is the default, you can also choose 30 which adds 10 additional randomly placed Heart Containers, or choose a Low Hearts run, which removes all the Heart Pieces and makes Shrine Bosses only drop Heart Pieces. This limits your Hearts to 6, and is very difficult.

Another difficulty option is also available for Key Items appearing in Shrines. The higher the difficulty, the later key items can appear, and you may even have to go into a higher Tier Shrine for an item required for a lower Tier. Hard mode is what the demo had as the item spawning logic.

A few things have been changed.

Boss Hearts now count toward the Treasures Found and Shrine Locations Checked.

There are now 4 Sword levels, with the new level in between the former Level 2 and 3 Swords.

Sword variations that focus on Sword Beams now shoot stronger Sword Beams.

A third wallet has been added. This final wallet caps at 4000 rupees.

Bomb walls in Shrines have larger hitboxes for bombs, and the Lens will reveal them.

There are 5 possible variations of the main Shrines, and 3 different Elder Shrines that you can encounter each run. These additional Shrines have puzzles that make use of different key items the demo did not need.

With the changes above, you can get 114 Items by default, though some options will change this total.

So, there are some plans for future betas. Custom bosses for every Shrine, making the Final Boss Random, and having an ending that includes showing how well you did in the run will be added eventually. However, there are a few plans I wouldn't mind some opinions on.

The next big change is adding some more items per run. 5 new useable items will be added that will appear every run. There is also a chance these items could get upgrades.

Right now, I'm considering having the Lantern (not currently in the quest), the Slingshot, and the Bombchu as 3 of these 5 items. These 5 items could also be an item that appears randomly each run.

To explain that, the last 5 items in the inventory are 5 different possible items, grouped into Melee, Ranged, Bomb, Arrow Damage, and Magic.

If any of these items are your favorite after getting them in a run, you could suggest having them appear every run.

Random Melee
Ball and Chain, Bow Wow, Charge Shot, Rocket Punch, Throwing Shield

Random Ranged
Bubble Rod, Chakram, Daggers, Gem Shot, Rupee Shooter

Random Bombs
Bombchu, Bomberman Bomb, Flame Bomb, Ice Bomb, Shrapnel Bomb

Random Arrow Damage
Bee Bottle, Crossbow, Rapid Bow, Slingshot, Spread Bow

Random Magic
Bolt Tome, Fire Tome, Ice Tome, Multi Tome, Wind Tome

You can also expect more items in the future. As for expanding the inventory of useable items beyond 25... we'll see.

I plan for the next beta to have at least 6 possible variations of the main Shrines, which is enough to start adding another... interesting option.

Thanks again for the feedback and bug testing.
  • Eppy and Jared like this

#2 naal

naal

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

Are flippers in this quest and are they required for the water palace? Also in the Maze palace what are you suppose to do in the three rooms with the switches/buttons in them?

#3 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

No, there are no flippers in this quest...or, at least, he explicitly said that there were none in the last demo, and I have not seen any since.  (I was looking for them, too...hehe.)  If you mean the dungeon that looks like half of it is flooded...no, you do not need flippers, and I have not seen any way to drain that half, though I am tempted to go back once I have a more complete item set, to make sure nothing's hidden...hehe.

Switches are usually manipulated by the boomerang.

In answer to the suggestions you asked for, HeroOfFire:  I, unfortunately, haven't had a lot of time to find all of them, lately.  I know Bow Wow has me really curious, and I always liked the Chakram, but beyond that, I don't really have much preference, yet.

Edited by Ryunaker, 17 June 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

My first run completed...but it feels like I'm missing something.  (1)  There are two empty slots under the left hand side of the inventory, and (2)  I haven't been able to activate the whirlwinds yet.  Knowing how these have gone in the past, I am wondering if I am missing some super secret...or if I am just missing something obvious.  *chuckle*  Still no flippers.  In answer to naal's second question (which I missed before), there is a cane that can place a block for the third button, and then you stand on the fourth.

Spoiler

Side note:  The hint lady seems stuck on "Pols voice are weak to various weapons.  It differs by color."  Out of 5 attempts to get hints from her, four were that.

Edited by Ryunaker, 20 June 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#5 naal

naal

• Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

One of the items is an arrow upgrade. I assume it's the one that slowly refills your arrows over time. However I never borrowed to check that it actually does that like with the other randomizers.

#6 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

Bomb bag and quiver...that makes a lot of sense.  I went with the smaller upgrades, as opposed to the bags and quivers, and that would be the two items.

...Then what am I missing, for the whirlwinds?   I'm going to have to take another look.

Edited by Ryunaker, 21 June 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#7 naal

naal

• Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

If I recall in Eppy's stream Hero of Fire said somewhere in the chat how they work.

#8 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

The Whirlwind rooms act as whistle warp points. While I never really utilized it, supposedly, when you visit the screen and have the whistle, you can whistle warp to the locations outside the cave. The Final dungeon is also one of these warp points.

Also, for anyone else still confused about the Water Dungeon, The item you need is the Ice Wand.

Edited by Eppy, 25 June 2017 - 08:01 AM.

• Ryunaker likes this

#9 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

The Whirlwind rooms act as whistle warp points. While I never really utilized it, supposedly, when you visit the screen and have the whistle, you can whistle warp to the locations outside the cave. The Final dungeon is also one of these warp points.

I had discovered things working that way...I just kept expecting them to actually have a whirlwind that went somewhere else, because of the way the hint was worded, saying they were activated, if I remember right, with a rune.  Or did I misread, and it said tune?  I've only seen that particular hint once.  I'm going to do another playthrough, to try to see if I can get that hint again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users