Photo

Indesiciveness...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Stuff

Link Size? (Please comment on WHY)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Prequel Placement? (Please comment on WHY)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

Okay, so I'm, wait for it, changing my mind about LoR II again as well as the alleged update for Kamala's Tomb.

First order of business is about LoR II. I've been debating (once again) whether or not I want to use big Link or not. It would look different enough and making enemies to fit wouldn't be difficult, but it could be harder to gather resources that work well with it. While it's not that I don't want to work hard at making it work, it's more a matter of 'I do want to finish this stupid quest some time this century.' At the rate I'm going, that probably won't happen. icon_razz.gif

Secondly, I'm going to be swapping sets again to a heavily modified version of the MZC set I'm working on. I've shown a little bit of what I've done publicly, and I've got some ideas on what I want to change and add. Mostly in terms of dungeons. I'm going to be using an RPG perspective instead of a Zelda one, since I prefer that style personally. I've already got a bit of a head start on that front, so we'll see where that goes.

The next thing I want to discuss is the Kamala's Tomb update, or lack thereof. I've decided that I'm trying to dwell too much on that quest. I see no reason to go back to it to change things over and whatnot. It'd be diverting far too many resources to something that at the end of the day is essentially a main character sprite swap among a few other things when I could be working on LoR II. So, I'd like to say that Kamala's Tomb is going to be staying as-is.

The obvious issue is that Mistress of the Wind is a sequel, and with Kamala's Tomb not being modified, there's really no 'prequel' to it to start after. This is very true since the story of Link going through the tomb and Alice going through would be very different and would make no sense to say 'Well, Link's gotta be ready for the Mistress of the Wind when she comes by, but now you're playing as someone totally unrelated.' Not to mention that I want to severe all ties to Zelda, and instead have it being a part of my own universe. :3

Instead, what I may do is just make Mistress of the Wind without any sort of reference to the quest of Kamala's Tomb. What I will probably do is add the back story in the read-me file or refer to her ventures in the tomb in the quest itself. I really don't want to revisit it by making another quest or forcing her into one I didn't design with her in mind.

Anyway, that's what is on my mind right now. As for the update for IMaQWICHBS, I'm nearing completion. I literally just have to finish the final boss and the ending as well as test and it's done. The boss may take awhile though, so it's not going to be out right away or anything.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrator

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Alright, here's my two cents. First, use small Link. Let's face it, ZC just isn't designed for characters bigger than 16x16. You can try to force it, but it looks awkward, and detracts from time you could be using to actually finish the quest. For the second poll, I voted other. Keep in mind I don't exactly know the story of Kamala's Tomb (I only ever beat level 1, sorry. icon_frown.gif ), but I would do it through a series of playable flashbacks. At certain points, you play through a small chunk of the tomb while the character's remembering the trip through, and at the end you get a piece of the story, and the more flashbacks you go through, the more you begin to put together the story and figure out how it ties into the present story (that of Mistress of the Wind). I don't know if it'd actually be feasible, but that would be the road I'd try to take.

On a side note, when you say part of your universe, is this the same universe all your other characters come from?

#3 Twilight_Knight

Twilight_Knight

• Members

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

I voted for small link and having a full scene. Small link is just for your own ease, to prevent Link looking taller than trees etc. Plus I small link fits better into the small screen that ZC uses.

The scene would simply be most enhancing to the quest I think. Prettiest, most understandable.

If you want to change to 16x32 simply so Minish Cap NPCs fit in, don't stress, I got a whole sheet of sprites I modeled after the Minish Cap ones, but they are 16x16. Maybe we could share them and improve them together so they can be released. I feel that they look a bit poor in their current state.

#4 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, it'd be where all my other characters canonically come from. (So in theory, Blaman could meet Alice for example if they found some means of travelling that great distance in space. XD) I pay it no mind when I'm RPing them though. icon_deformed.gif (Otherwise I'd have a lot less characters to pick from, given a lot die in their own canons. icon_razz.gif)

The playing through the tomb could be feasible... Hm... It could be like after each dungeon you get a simple segment to pass through before moving on, kind of like in Paper Mario or the dream segments in Hero of Dreams...I like it. :3

Thanks for your input. icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Ninja'd. XD Thanks for the input Twilight_Knight. icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't mind helping out in that regard it you'd like. :3

#5 Moosh

Moosh

No fun allowed

• Database Staff

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

So just bear with me, because I have a potentially stupid idea. I think you could maybe have a sort of Lufia II type starting area where you play as Link and eventually confront the mistress of winds and fail. From that point you can (albeit cheaply) completely remove all Zelda ties from the sequel while still leaving the original as unaltered cannon. I'm of course not very familiar with what exactly you have planned for LoR 2's plot, but I'd assume that hopefully it doesn't involve a completely new character that "was there all along". I guess what I'm saying is what's done is done and if you don't feel like updating Kamala's Tomb, why not have this quest stand alone somewhat by completely nullifying the ending of the first quest fairly early on? You know, like Resident Evil: Afterlife...Ok, that was a terrible example.

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

That puts me in a corner in terms of answering why I couldn't do something like that. Points that'd I have to cover to show why I wouldn't be able to could very well ruin a lot of the story's twists and tricks. Had this been just about anything else, I would have really considered it, but with this particular case, I just can't.

When it comes to Kamala's Tomb, I guess I can just say 'Yeah, the whole thing was originally a Zelda fan-game but I decided to branch off that and severe the ties.' and make the second game simple a stand-alone without even touching upon the 'original'.

In other words...

LOL RETCON

SpacemanDan runs from that certain someone(s) who will completely get that joke that is not even mine to begin with so why am I even using it. icon_deformed.gif

But seriously, I think the best way for me to handle the Zelda variation of Kamala's tomb is just to sweep it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen. Not in the sense that I won't acknowledge it's existence, but just not part of the Ailgathian canon. (Ailgath being the world the whole thing takes place in, since Romia is basically just a small country in the scheme of things. :3)

But to be clear, I really appreciate your words and opinions. It's just that I couldn't fit it in. Sorry man.

#7 Jared

Jared

The delayed hero

• Members

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

Sorry for being n00bish, but there is the first LoR? I've never heard of it, nor seen it.

#8 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Here. It's an older quest made back when alpha 254 was still relevant, originally made on 2.10 so it doesn't really feature much in the way of new features or anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users