Photo

Screenshot of the Week 15

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 15 (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 15

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 05:19 PM

SOTW 15 is here and when I said it would be. I'm on time for once icon_lol.gif.

And the nominees are...

plith
user posted image
The entrance to a mysterious abandoned Temple.

zoraman
user posted image
No I fell HELP!!!

Praethus
user posted image
The underground Realm of Terran.

Blonde799
user posted image

Bob
user posted image

#2 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 06:37 PM

plith's struck me as really good. I voted for him.

#3 Fox

Fox

Will the Hero rise again?

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:32 PM

While the concept is good, zoraman's pic is odd. I'd at least have him flailing his arms as he falls. It's choppy, which is minus points in my book, but hey, it's either choppyness or using up space and more work. It's a call each person has to make individually.

Blonde's pic just doesn't have the right pallette. The brown Zelda title doesn't look right to me. The Wandering Evil also looks like it's the wrong colors, as it blends in with the background making it semi-difficult to read.

Bob's all look the same, so he doesn't score any originality points. The water is too bright of a blue for my taste. You might also want to fix the corners in the water where there's light blue corners on the tile instead of the regular blue.

For all you who have been keeping track, that leaves plith and Praethus. While nothing is wrong with plith's, the top half of the screen bores me. Maybe some variety would help the screen out. Perhaps a statue on each side or something. Good, but not great.

While Praethus's isn't perfect (it has a few graphical tics regarding the clash between the cave wall tiles and other tiles) it has enough to draw your attention: a lava river, a pathway filled with rocks and pits, and a secret ledge Link somehow managed to climb onto. So Praethus wins my vote.

All your pics have plusses as well, but I thought I'd point out the netatives so you can get my opinion on what would improve your screen rather than hearing what you already know.

#4 KJAZZ

KJAZZ

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:35 PM

plith.

#5 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:57 PM

none. null vote again. icon_smile.gif

#6 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:16 PM

I simply happen to think that sometimes, especially in certain buildings, variety isn't what you should be aiming for. But now that you mention it, I suppose I could put in some cracks and/or vines. After all, this is an abandoned temple.

#7 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:21 PM

I guess I got to vote for Praethus, but it was hard to pick between some of them... icon_neutral.gif

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:22 PM

I vote for plith, although at first I thought that something was up with the perspective.

#9 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

plith

#10 zoraman

zoraman

Junior

• Members

Posted 04 February 2003 - 11:13 PM

[qoute]While the concept is good, zoraman's pic is odd. I'd at least have him flailing his arms as he falls. It's choppy, which is minus points in my book, but hey, it's either choppyness or using up space and more work.[/quote]
His arms are flailing(Bad animated pic) look at my avatar and it is choppy because I'm not the best at animated pics.

#11 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:38 AM

furthermore, that triforce symbol in Plith's screenshot looks like it was ripped straight out of Prince's Mystic Land tileset in one of his screenshots at Palm Beach or something.

#12 Fox

Fox

• Members

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(plith @ Feb 4 2003, 06:16 PM)
I simply happen to think that sometimes, especially in certain buildings, variety isn't what you should be aiming for. But now that you meantion it, I suppose I could put in some cracks and/or vines. After all, this is an abandoned temple.

I don't exactly mean variety in the way you're thinking of it. I agree that the temple shouldn't be a cluttered mess. What I'm suggesting is that you give it a personality. Give it something that will allow the player to easily recognize it while still retaining a clean feel. Nothing too complicated, of course.

But maybe my judgement isn't the best right now. Take it with a grain of salt, if you wish. I'm having second thoughts myself, although cracks and debris might be a good idea if you're going to go with the abandoned look.

#13 Blonde799

Blonde799

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 February 2003 - 01:17 AM

I told ya it'd make you guys vomit.icon_razz.gif Maybe that'll get more submissions up.icon_smile.gif

BTW, it's just a test screen anyway. I've got a cloud background I'm using, with tempered blue text instead of tempered silver. Anyone think that's sub-par too? icon_confused.gif:

#14 Fox

Fox

• Members

Posted 05 February 2003 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(Blonde799 @ Feb 4 2003, 10:17 PM)
I told ya it'd make you guys vomit.icon_razz.gif Maybe that'll get more submissions up.icon_smile.gif

BTW, it's just a test screen anyway. I've got a cloud background I'm using, with tempered blue text instead of tempered silver. Anyone think that's sub-par too? icon_confused.gif:

I'd need to see it first. icon_wink.gif

But with all the time you have before the Quest Contest deadline, I suggest making a completely custom title screen. I know I've been through my share of title screens. *thinks back to the dreaded discolored LttP title from Destined One and shudders* Even if you're no good at tilemaking, it'll be good practice. And something unique, even if it's not as grand as the LttP title, is better than that same title that everyone uses for all their quests. At least, it is in my book.

And about the Quest Contest: I've derived a formula for finding the deadline. Take whatever Cyclone says is the definative deadline and add half a year. icon_razz.gif

Offtopic: Speaking of title screens, I'll be redoing mine again, beta testers. I'll keep the same "idea" as before, but I'm not content with the current one.

#15 Blonde799

Blonde799

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 February 2003 - 01:50 AM

Guess you're right.icon_smile.gif I wanted to take it slow though, as a completely custom title's gonna take a very long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users