Metroid Origins: Version 3.0-Help/Bug Reports

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

I'm going ahead and putting this up now, before I finish my own run of the game so that anyone interested in helping can reply and start testing it out once I am done.

And of course, for the sake of future bug reports once it is officially released in probably 2-3 weeks.

Anyways, basically everything for this is done and I've just got to make sure there's nothing unexpected which is occurring, fix that and then I can either get others to test or go ahead and release it.

Included with the new quest file will be a change log and readme along with the older version of the quest.

These files will be packaged with the new version upon release, along with the last stable build of the older version. I'll try to take some new screenshots of this as I go along for submission to the database as well.

Barring the discovery of major new flaws, I anticipate being done with my own playthrough as early as this weekend.

Edited by ywkls, 16 July 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

It is here. Download to test for unknown bugs at your own risk. Please do not use with any previous versions of this quest.

For your own sanity: Use ZC Version 2.50.2!

Metroid: Origins Version 3.0

And here are some screenshots.

Z9HUXVA.pngEJ6xptP.png

mJa5xMm.pngnqZJgkp.png

OXqABY2.pnggalu25J.png

Please post any comments, bug reports or questions about this quest here.

And above all, have fun!

Edited by ywkls, 17 July 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#3 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

I couldn't get past kraid. My zelda classic refuses to play sound or music anymore so i couldnt tell if i was damaging him or not, but 15 super and 50 missiles in the first phase wasnt enough to move him along to the second. For the map, im assuming it stays as a single dot on the screen until you access the map points? or was it supposed to fill out as you go?

I do like not having to open the menu anymore to switch to weapons, and the diffusion beam having its own button. 

oh and theres the minor thing from the games earlier versions back in this one where theres a wall of the spinning enemies on the screen for a short time before they go off screen and disappear in the areas near the starting point.

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I couldn't get past kraid. My zelda classic refuses to play sound or music anymore so i couldnt tell if i was damaging him or not, but 15 super and 50 missiles in the first phase wasnt enough to move him along to the second. For the map, im assuming it stays as a single dot on the screen until you access the map points? or was it supposed to fill out as you go?

I do like not having to open the menu anymore to switch to weapons, and the diffusion beam having its own button. 

oh and theres the minor thing from the games earlier versions back in this one where theres a wall of the spinning enemies on the screen for a short time before they go off screen and disappear in the areas near the starting point.

Kraid's tactics are a bit obscure. You have to hit him with a beam, then his eye glows and he opens his mouth. At that point, missiles or Super Missiles work. (Also, there is no second phase.)

Edit: I should note that I actually went and sat through the first phase of Kraid on Super Metroid (which I normally beat with a single Super Missile) just to see what he does. I don't recall if shooting him in the eye with anything else works in that, though.

The spinning enemies you're referring to weren't designed to be larger than 1 x 1 so I'll have to work on the script to move them offscreen properly.

Edited by ywkls, 26 June 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#5 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

ya in super metroid, a charged beam, or a missile would get his eyes to glow and mouth to open. I'll give it another shot after lunch

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

ya in super metroid, a charged beam, or a missile would get his eyes to glow and mouth to open. I'll give it another shot after lunch

I could probably replicate the behavior where a charge beam would work too. Making it where a regular one worked was just easier. Making missile do the same thing would be child's play.

#7 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

childs play is killing kraid as the last boss in super metroid with the plasma beam lol

#8 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

I went with my old instincts and decided that after getting the grapple and speed booster, i should go through that gate in the heat sink area that opens with the charge beam. doesnt work anymore so i got stuck there and needed to reset.

edit: the space pirate boss for the upgraded wall upgrade is either bugged, or i screwed something up somehow http://imgur.com/a/yHQaG

also, was my old powerbomb sequence breaking room with the shine spark turned into a mandatory thing players have to do to progress?

if you dont know the room off the top of your head, im referring to the screen a few rooms to the right of where theres a super missile pack that needs phasing to get through, and you shinespark upwards next to the mountainlike formation with the large flying enemies.

Edited by chocobothief12, 26 June 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

I went with my old instincts and decided that after getting the grapple and speed booster, i should go through that gate in the heat sink area that opens with the charge beam. doesnt work anymore so i got stuck there and needed to reset.

That's one of the first major changes in the game (along with the location of the Varia Suit).

If you haven't found them by now, there are several devices which allow you to access a previously non-existent area which houses various devices that open sealed paths. One of these activates that gate you were referring to.

#10 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

i've found 2 or 3 terminals that dont work so far. the one that opened up the gate before crocomire worked just by walking up to it. the rest have no interaction. I also got stuck in the morph ball tunnels of the new area due to unmorphing accidentally in one small section, and samus clinging to the wall with no way to let go made remorphing impossible. is a majority of the new area supposed to be explored after getting most of the major upgrades? or are some of the things like space jump locked behind these new barriers?

#11 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

http://imgur.com/a/FK7Mothis is the room i got stuck in. trying to go to the right is blocked off for some reason.

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

For the map, im assuming it stays as a single dot on the screen until you access the map points? or was it supposed to fill out as you go?

I forgot to reply to this earlier, but the single dot version is what it should be until you get the map for that area. This is mostly because I couldn't figure out how to do the other method.

edit: the space pirate boss for the upgraded wall upgrade is either bugged, or i screwed something up somehow http://imgur.com/a/yHQaG

Definitely a bug. I had changed the combos he was supposed to use, but forgot to alter the set up of the enemy. Fixed now.

also, was my old powerbomb sequence breaking room with the shine spark turned into a mandatory thing players have to do to progress?

if you dont know the room off the top of your head, im referring to the screen a few rooms to the right of where theres a super missile pack that needs phasing to get through, and you shinespark upwards next to the mountainlike formation with the large flying enemies.

Yes, this is now a requirement. While I know that a few people have had difficulties with using the shine spark, I haven't had a lot myself so I made it part of the game.

If enough people have trouble making this, I might alter it somehow.

i've found 2 or 3 terminals that dont work so far. the one that opened up the gate before crocomire worked just by walking up to it. the rest have no interaction. I also got stuck in the morph ball tunnels of the new area due to unmorphing accidentally in one small section, and samus clinging to the wall with no way to let go made remorphing impossible. is a majority of the new area supposed to be explored after getting most of the major upgrades? or are some of the things like space jump locked behind these new barriers?

Was that after getting the Hyper Grip? I'm seriously considering adding a method to switch that thing on and off at will to get rid of clinging to the wall when you don't want to.

The new area is somewhat non-linear. The only required visit prior to getting the Space Jump is the one you already discovered which unlocks the route to Crocomire.

The third portal that gives access to the icy region now contains a certain "walk through walls item", then once you get the Ice Beam you can reach the terminal which opens the way to the Space Jump.

Regarding the terminals which don't seem to react to you, I had that happen myself. The room where they're supposed to open something up was still affected, however. I'm thinking of changing it from having to examine them, to just having to walk up to them.

If the doors which they open in Security Access don't part, that will be a bug.

http://imgur.com/a/FK7Mothis is the room i got stuck in. trying to go to the right is blocked off for some reason.

I'm probably going to have to rework the shape of that room slightly. I forgot that the script which handles interaction with slopes doesn't work at the edge of the screen.

I'll post a correction to the errors which i can fix to the same link by tomorrow.

Edited by ywkls, 26 June 2017 - 10:15 PM.

#13 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

I managed to get all the major upgrades in the game besides the homing missle. i havent found the terminal that allows access to that area. or maybe i have and its one of the glitchy ones. a way to turn off the hyper grip would be nice, since platforming suddenly needs to be 10x more precise once you get it, and after getting space jump, it really isnt needed anymore.

#14 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

I managed to get all the major upgrades in the game besides the homing missle. i havent found the terminal that allows access to that area. or maybe i have and its one of the glitchy ones. a way to turn off the hyper grip would be nice, since platforming suddenly needs to be 10x more precise once you get it, and after getting space jump, it really isnt needed anymore.

The barrier that guards the homing missile is the last one you'll reach in the new area.

I probably won't get the method to turn off the Hyper Grip scripted today, but it's definitely on my to do list. I might add in the ability to disable other items just because I can.

I figured out what was wrong with those security rooms where you seemingly couldn't activate them. The way the script was set up, it was actually running the first frame you entered the screen and then shutting down. While it is fixed now, you'd have to start a new game to see it's effect.

I'll probably add some kind of hint near that air circulator on the way to Crocomire so people will know you have to go somewhere else first.

The quest file is updated with a change to that room where you got stuck where it should now be possible to get through.

It also has fixes for the gray Space Pirate and the Security Rooms.

Edited by ywkls, 27 June 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#15 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'm starting a day early, because I remembered some stuff I have to do tomorrow...so I'll do shorter daily segments.

Love the shortcut keys...especially for the Metroid. I admit...I rarely used the Metroid before...but I know I'll be using it alot now.

In the beginning of the game...the waver enemy movements are....strange. First they're stuck on the left side of the screen....then flying along the bottom? 

The mini map doesn't seem to work...nor is the map sub screen recording any map details...but I didn't find a map station yet either. 

I see you added to the overall challenge level of the game. Thank you so much for that. :)

Ok....I noticed several bugs...one..the SM interface for weapons disappeared completely...I think it happened after a death. I can't even tell how many missiles I have, though I can still switch to and use them. The other is a bigger problem...the 65525 Metroid energy glitch is still there. Suddenly I can't use the Metroid.

Ok...further observations...

The weapon display disappearing is fixed when you warp back to the ship...(warp...no need to refill). It disappears to begin with when you die, and then continue.

The energy glitch for the Metroid seems to occur when you come close to dying while the Metroid is active and its own energy is low. This is likely because it needs to drain your energy to keep going, but you don't have enough to actually give to it...so it causes a bizarre, endless loop. Refilling at the ship fixes this (maybe also a energy station too) but the fact it still occurs is a issue.

I should also mention I'm playing with double enemy HP and double damage taken

A suggestion...the ship itself does not become a warp point until you examine it. I remember this from my very first play through. Especially now, given that the ship at least temporarily fixes the glitches so you can still play and continue without becoming permastuck....is there a way to make it a default warp point for the absent minded gamer who doesn't examine it first thing when they begin playing (like I did that one time)?

Edited by Epsalon ZX, 27 June 2017 - 11:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users