The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#316 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

can't believe they'd refer to an internet hate campaign as an internet hate campaign, way to get on the wrong side of history fallon, smdh
  • Anthus likes this

#317 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:39 AM

Jimmy's fake forced enthusiasm is surely a thing. lol

Maybe you wanted Ben Stein? ;)

#318 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Based on a small snippet in this interview about Mario Run (which I'll also discuss in the Mario Run thread), cloud saving is confirmed at least. Good news.

• Neppy likes this

#319 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

So this post was supposed to be in the Super Mario Run thread. :heh:

Spoiler

#320 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

My number one desire for Switch at this point is more leniency for small print run sizes. The reason I own a Vita and the reason I'd like a PS4 more-or-less comes down to how Sony allows indie games that would otherwise never leave a digital store to get physical releases in limited print runs. Don't really care much about region locking or cloud saving, personally. But, dang, I'd love to start collecting cartridge releases of eShop games that otherwise wouldn't get them on a Nintendo system.

#321 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

can't believe they'd refer to an internet hate campaign as an internet hate campaign, way to get on the wrong side of history fallon, smdh

You don't know how propaganda works.

Even ignoring the CON leaks, the fact it has the word "gamer" in it should make it obvious it is being used by the media to smear gamers on the whole, and Nintendo understands propaganda well enough to know this.

Thought at this point, it wouldn't surprise to see Nintendo fans throw themselves into a meat grinder if the big N willed it.

#322 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

There is no media agenda to smear gamers. No propaganda. Why would there be? That idea is ridiculous to an extent that's difficult to fully grasp and you damage your own capacity for critical thought by believing it. Please recognize that.

Nintendo does not hurt themselves or anyone else by condemning a hate movement, this condemnation will not impact the Switch in any way whatsoever, and there is no good reason for this absurd line of discussion to have emerged.

#323 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

A gamer known as Blackbond who's considered himself a Nintendo fan from the very beginning but has spent most of his youtube channel career criticizing the Wii and the Wii U for their lack of performance and 3rd party support. He's now criticizing the Switch for the exact same problems. More rumors are surfacing suggesting that the Switch is going to be an underpowered console and as a result, 3rd party support will avoid this console just like the previous two consoles. 

His video is shared below, I am posting it to get people's thoughts, but before you watch, I must warn you that Blackbond displays a very arrogant demeanor and is very prone to name calling and insults directed towards those who he feels are "corporate slaves" or "clowns on the internet" or just generally below him.

#324 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, the Nintendo subreddits are exploding over this, saying it's the death of the Switch due to no third party games coming to the system. However, it's much too soon to say that, even if the rumor is true.

It is disappointing, but there's a lot of other factors that have lead to the lack of 3rd party support in recent Nintendo generations than just simply power. Some of these reasons have been because 3rd party games haven't sold well, are more difficult to port over due to completely different architecture, and because of a lack of a sales of the systems themselves. Granted, not all of those reasons have applied to every system, but still. There have been other reasons for the lack of support, and the Switch will already strike one of those off since it'll be easier to port games to it.

Honestly, the biggest hindrance to 3rd party support hasn't been power (at least not directly). It's probably been one of the smallest reasons to be honest. 3rd party games just don't tend to sell well. Core Nintendo fans typically don't care about 3rd party games, and the other people that have gotten the consoles have had little reason to buy cross platform 3rd party games on Nintendo systems over their counterparts on other systems. However, with the Switch, people will have to ask themselves "Do I want to buy the new Call of Duty game on XBO/PS4 and have better graphics, or do I want to buy it on the Switch and be able to play it on the go?" That starts to become a bigger debate than previous Nintendo systems which have had no counter to better graphics.

Will it pan out? Your guess is as good as mine. But, I don't think you can argue against that the Switch has at least a better chance than the Wii U did in that regard.

Edit: I will say that so far Nintendo has been marketing the Switch as a home console, and I'm guessing that they've been doing that to prevent impact to sales of the 3DS this holiday season. I think Nintendo will need to do a 180 first thing 2017 on that if these specs are true and market it more as a portal system.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#325 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:51 AM

There is no media agenda to smear gamers. No propaganda. Why would there be? That idea is ridiculous to an extent that's difficult to fully grasp and you damage your own capacity for critical thought by believing it. Please recognize that.

Nintendo does not hurt themselves or anyone else by condemning a hate movement, this condemnation will not impact the Switch in any way whatsoever, and there is no good reason for this absurd line of discussion to have emerged.

The media has always hated gamers, at least in the US, which is why all the "violent gamers caused shootings" stuff kept coming out.  That got debunked by study after study, so they are now trying the "you're a misogynist" angle.  What I am alleging is rather simple, a pattern of the media hating on and trying to smear gamers continues, just with a new angle.  To deny this, is to be unfamiliar with the media's relationship with gamers.

There was also no hate movement condemned, as proven by the CON leaks, FBI documents, and Journo Pros leaks.  Even if it was, the media are propaganda experts and to deny an opportunistic smear to associate a group with "gamer" in its name to smear gamers, whom the media has always hated is naive at best.  Nintendo has marketing and PR departments, and as such, understands propaganda themselves.  They didn't care, they choose the media over the gamers, simple as that.

A gamer known as Blackbond who's considered himself a Nintendo fan from the very beginning but has spent most of his youtube channel career criticizing the Wii and the Wii U for their lack of performance and 3rd party support. He's now criticizing the Switch for the exact same problems. More rumors are surfacing suggesting that the Switch is going to be an underpowered console and as a result, 3rd party support will avoid this console just like the previous two consoles.

His video is shared below, I am posting it to get people's thoughts, but before you watch, I must warn you that Blackbond displays a very arrogant demeanor and is very prone to name calling and insults directed towards those who he feels are "corporate slaves" or "clowns on the internet" or just generally below him.

Quite familiar with Blackb0nd, he's mostly a troll, but he makes good points.  He's also not exclusively a Nintendo hater, I remember when he defended Metroid Fanboys from one of my videos years ago, so he's telling the truth about his love for Nintendo.  Probably just sick of seeing them make mistakes, and tired of Nintendo fans sitting there and taking it, I share his feelings, albeit, for VERY different reasons.  And yeah, the Switch has yet to actually see the 3rd party support come through, though it's also not out yet, so I could go either way on this particular video of his.

Edited by Anarchy_Balsac, 24 December 2016 - 03:53 AM.

#326 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:04 AM

Anarchy, I have worked as a so-called journalist in the gaming industry for about 7 years now, and I have been involved even longer. What you're suggesting seems outlandish to me. Propoganda is very real, and there's is a lot of it going around these days on the political side of things, but "the media" would need to have a motive for this agenda you claim they have, right? The bias against video games you speak about isn't exclusive to video games either, books, music, movies, they've all been claimed as influencing violence and behaviors for centuries. Naturally I can't speak for everyone working in the industry, but a looooot of people play games these days, and they are all technically gamers.

I'm not gonna tell you that there is no one working in "the media" who might have a bias against people who don't hold their exact opinions about everything (read: anything Kotaku, or really any of the kinja sites as far as I'm concerned). Those are the exception though, and if you truly believe they are the norm, then I think you're spending too much time reading articles from sites with an obvious bias against... well, like I said, anyone who doesn't share their stance on literally everything. They suck, but the way I see it, when you go around pretending like they are the norm, you're giving them far more credit than they deserve.

That said I'm longing for the day sites like Kotaku or Polygon goes under, hopefully in a similar matter to that of Gawker. We don't need that kind of trash dragging any of us down, be it gamers or "the media" as a whole.

-----

As for the Switch rumors, I am going to be severely disappointed if it turns out to be true, though I won't be very surprised.

Edited by Robin, 24 December 2016 - 06:06 AM.

• Nathaniel likes this

#327 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:15 AM

I miss when Nintendo had top of the line hardware.  The day the SNES came out, for example, it was slightly underpowered, however it had a sample based soundchip (SPC700), designed and produced by SONY.  I guess I'm just nostalgic for when Nintendo was on top of their game.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and Cukeman like this

#328 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

I miss when Nintendo had top of the line hardware.  The day the SNES came out, for example, it was slightly underpowered, however it had a sample based soundchip (SPC700), designed and produced by SONY.  I guess I'm just nostalgic for when Nintendo was on top of their game.

It also had the superior graphics chip by far, the only downside to the SNES was the CPU performance (Gimped to be backwards compatible with NES, then that idea was ditched later on but the CPU remained gimped). Unsure about internal memory capacities of the various game consoles at the time.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 24 December 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#329 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

Warning! Huge list of rumors!

#330 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:38 AM

VC is such a clusterf*uk.  Licencing issues have held them back more that I understand.  I don't get why not every single one of their first party titles are available on the VC.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users