The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#286 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:15 PM

Now, what I'm REALLY hoping for is if this thing can increase the internal resolution (as an optional feature, just in case it doesn't work well) of a 3DS game (if it's backwards compatible) in the same way that Citra, a 3DS emulator, can do. That way, games for the 3DS would look a TON better.

Doubt it, it requires good hardware to pull off. Also unsure about 3DS emulation as my Intel i7 920 struggles to emulate most games at an acceptable performance without the Dynamic Recompiler (which causes bugs in various games), I doubt ARM chips have reached parity with any Intel i7 (desktop grade) chip. Though I guess they could do what they did with previous Virtual Console titles and release emulators featuring game specific hacks with each game to eek out as much performance as possible (like Project64 does, though taking it to a more extreme degree). Why else would they release an emulator with every single game they sold on the Virtual Console instead of just having one emulator for each system and you only downloaded the roms? This is also the only way they could've managed to get acceptable performance for N64 emulation and even then I've heard it is pretty buggy emulation (Nintendo sells me PAL N64 games on their Virtual Console so I don't buy them from Nintendo).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 November 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#287 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

https://pvplive.net/...nd-bundles-reve

Yet more rumors, including these tidbits:

- March 17th release date.

- Rhythm Heaven game in development using Nintendo characters.

- Bundles priced at $260 base, $300 for a Mario bundle, $340 for a bundle including Zelda and a Pro Controller.

The release date seems feasible, but the console prices seem way too cheap to me, especially based on the "won't sell at a loss" comment we heard earlier. I mean, I wouldn't complain if these are true, but it doesn't seem accurate. We'll see in January, I suppose.

#288 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

https://pvplive.net/...nd-bundles-reve

- Bundles priced at $260 base, $300 for a Mario bundle, $340 for a bundle including Zelda and a Pro Controller.

USD right?

#289 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:42 AM

Correct.

#290 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:48 AM

Pro Controller and Zelda are exactly what I want. Glad that's a bundle

#291 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

It looks really good, but I can not give Nintendo my money.  I can buy the console and games 2nd hand, but without a way to pirate the DLC, I'd have to leave it behind.

I'm just not in the business of giving my money to companies that would call us misogynists for buying and playing their products.

#292 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:02 AM

https://www.nintendo...brary-upgrades/

These rumors more than the previous ones should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's a couple new things. Most of it was from the last link I posted but two more bits are here, one explaining what the Mario game will be like, the other stating that the Wii U "Director's Cut" games on Switch will be available for free for those who own them digitally on Wii U; Nintendo's working with retailers to get a similar deal worked out with physical copies.

That would be incredibly nice, but we'll have to see it before we believe it. Personally I'd be satisfied if we just get our VC games free instead of paying again...

• Cukeman likes this

#293 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:58 AM

What are Wii U "Director's Cut" games?

#294 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

Well it's kind of written in the article but... Remasters of games for Wii U, with the common rumors being Smash, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon.

#295 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

So, just read a rumor about one of the launch titles for the Switch. Apparently somebody at Ubisoft leaked that there's going to be a Mario RPG as a launch title for the Switch, and they're developing it under HEAVY supervision from Nintendo. Why do I emphasize just how much Nintendo's overseeing this? Well...

...It's a Mario/Rabbids crossover.

Yeah. They're doing a crossover between Ubisoft's Rabbids and Nintendo's Mario series, and making it an RPG. Supposed features include a Rabbid-ified Bowser as a recurring boss fight, as well as the Joy-Con controllers vibrating to show when they're infested with Rabbids. (One of the plans is for your system to be infested by the Rabbids, who will occasionally interfere with gameplay)

Ubisoft had approached Nintendo with the idea, and while they were incredibly skeptic about it, they agreed under the condition that they're going to make really damned sure that they're satisfied with how Mario and Co. are represented in the game, and that their representation meets Nintendo's internal standards for the franchise. It's apparently going to be officially announced in January when we get more Switch info.

First thought: "What the hell?!".

Second thought: "What the hell!?!?!"

Third thought: I'm really glad that they're re-visiting a console-based Mario RPG, especially so quickly with the release of the console. This has the potential to be really great, given Nintendo's track record with Mario RPGs in the past as well as not being done by the company behind the Paper Mario games, meaning it's most likely not going to be Color Splash 2/Sticker Star 3. Heavy supervision could mean that Ubisoft is going to look closely at how past Mario RPGs have been done, and if we aren't including current Paper Mario games, that includes Mario + Luigi as well as Super Mario RPG.

Fourth thought: "WHAT THE HELL?!?! WHO CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA?!"

Fifth thought: "I wonder if that's what the Mario game in question was in the Switch announcement. Mario RPGs always have a heavy platforming element to them in the overworld, and we only saw maybe two seconds of gameplay at most. They could have shown a very brief non-Rabbid bit of gameplay to show that there is a Mario game in the works, while keeping the crossover aspect under wraps for a bit longer. If so, we've got a pretty awesome-looking RPG coming up. Doubt it, personally. Still, it's a possibility.

#296 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

So, just read a rumor about one of the launch titles for the Switch. Apparently somebody at Ubisoft leaked that there's going to be a Mario RPG as a launch title for the Switch, and they're developing it under HEAVY supervision from Nintendo. Why do I emphasize just how much Nintendo's overseeing this? Well...

...It's a Mario/Rabbids crossover.

Yeah. They're doing a crossover between Ubisoft's Rabbids and Nintendo's Mario series, and making it an RPG. Supposed features include a Rabbid-ified Bowser as a recurring boss fight, as well as the Joy-Con controllers vibrating to show when they're infested with Rabbids. (One of the plans is for your system to be infested by the Rabbids, who will occasionally interfere with gameplay)

Ubisoft had approached Nintendo with the idea, and while they were incredibly skeptic about it, they agreed under the condition that they're going to make really damned sure that they're satisfied with how Mario and Co. are represented in the game, and that their representation meets Nintendo's internal standards for the franchise. It's apparently going to be officially announced in January when we get more Switch info.

First thought: "What the hell?!".

Second thought: "What the hell!?!?!"

Third thought: I'm really glad that they're re-visiting a console-based Mario RPG, especially so quickly with the release of the console. This has the potential to be really great, given Nintendo's track record with Mario RPGs in the past as well as not being done by the company behind the Paper Mario games, meaning it's most likely not going to be Color Splash 2/Sticker Star 3. Heavy supervision could mean that Ubisoft is going to look closely at how past Mario RPGs have been done, and if we aren't including current Paper Mario games, that includes Mario + Luigi as well as Super Mario RPG.

Fourth thought: "WHAT THE HELL?!?! WHO CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA?!"

Fifth thought: "I wonder if that's what the Mario game in question was in the Switch announcement. Mario RPGs always have a heavy platforming element to them in the overworld, and we only saw maybe two seconds of gameplay at most. They could have shown a very brief non-Rabbid bit of gameplay to show that there is a Mario game in the works, while keeping the crossover aspect under wraps for a bit longer. If so, we've got a pretty awesome-looking RPG coming up. Doubt it, personally. Still, it's a possibility.

For me, this is actually kind of a bummer. I want a traditional platformer, and not an rpg crossover with a spin-off franchise I despise for replacing mainline 3D Rayman games with mini-game madness junk. Personally, I hope it's not true.
  • Naru likes this

#297 Golden Guardian

Golden Guardian

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

(Late to the hype and reactions, but okay)

First off, the sheer amount of third party support is astounding and definitely what Nintendo wants to be doing given the recent events and perception of the Wii U. As for the system itself, I'm cautious to get too hyped up about it, but it definitely looks like a system I'd enjoy using the features of, with the screen and detachable controllers and whatnot. A huge part of me hopes that they make some use of the detachable controllers to do some cool things along the lines of the Wii's zapper and wheel. 

Spoiler

As far as that Rabbids rumor, I have to say I'm... confused. That's definitely not what I saw coming when Ubisoft talked about working with Nintendo. I'll take it with a grain of salt for now and won't really be angry if it comes true as I was never the biggest Mario, Rayman, or Rabbids fan, but it will certainly be odd. 

#298 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

Rabbids ruined Rayman and they won't go away.  Now they're teasing a Mario RPG with these annoying things.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#299 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

Rabbids ruined Rayman and they won't go away. Now they're teasing a Mario RPG with these annoying things.

My thoughts exactly, I really hope it's false, or at least not as bad as I'm expecting. I really do despise the Rabbids games. At least Ubi-Soft did right with Origins/ Legends, but I don't think we'll ever see another 3D Rayman.

#300 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

For me, this is actually kind of a bummer. I want a traditional platformer, and not an rpg crossover with a spin-off franchise I despise for replacing mainline 3D Rayman games with mini-game madness junk. Personally, I hope it's not true.

Well then good news for you, we're still getting that 3D Mario platformer that was shown in the trailer!  I highly doubt they'd tease that if it weren't close to completion, and I'd put money on it being a launch title.  It's been in development for years now, after all.  They had to be doing something since 3D World came out 3 years ago. :P

And yeah... I'm not too stoked about that crossover.  From my perspective, it's not going to make Rabbids better, it's just going to make Mario worse.  Why not just... you know... an actual good old fashioned Mario RPG?  God, rabbids are like the video game equivalent of Minions, which are universally despised except by small children and middle aged (and older) people.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users