Photo

Zelda After BOTW

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ezka

Ezka

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Now that BoTW has released, I have already started thinking about and getting exited for what zelda game will come after. As most people know after OOT, came MM, which was considered as good, if not better to many people, after Zelda 1, came zelda 2, which although was a bit odd, I liked because it was new and unique. So here I was wondering what people are hoping for in the next zelda game after breath of the wild.

Just another thing that is related is this reddit thread of peoples ideas of really cool unique dungeons. Which ones would you want in a sequel?

https://www.reddit.c...bottom-comments

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

I've always wanted to see a Zelda game that explains who the heck keeps making all these darn temples everywhere that don't have any actual worship space, and why there's almost ZERO consistency between any of the games in terms of seeing a dungeon you've beaten in an early game appear still-beaten in the next game, despite there being a Faron, Lanayru, and Eldin province for the most part.

Who keeps pranking the Hylians or Hyrulians with this nonsense?! Let's make a Zelda game about that.
  • Anthus, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

I'd like to think that a well designed game could entertain for years. I'd almost think it's way too early to even ask "What's next?", especially if the game is as good as people say it is. 

#4 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

While I also find the inconsistent elements of the series a bit frustrating at times, it is also something I like about the series. I actually even believe that most things in the series would lose a lot of charm with to many background-details.

I sure have a lot of wishes for future zelda games, but I don't believe in them. If you ask me, they will try to invent something new for Nintendo, make a zelda game that perfectly uses the new "revolutionary" mechanics but sacrifices a lot of other things for it. I at least hope it won't be a new Spirit Tracks, that game was such a let down (let's just say I don't own a DS atm. Rails Turbo mode not enough.). Phantom Hourglass was so much better, it is difficult to believe it not being the improved 2nd game.

#5 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

I'd like it to return to the old 3D Zelda style for the next one honestly (I.e OoT, WW and TP). No Item rental shop, no Motion Controls, no adventure pouch, No weapons breaking, Items back in dungeons, etc.

• ShadowTiger, Anthus and Eddy like this

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

I'd like to see another Breath of the Wild that provides complete freedom and depth. It doesn't have to follow everything but those two factors are a must. I don't want the series to go back to the old style, they struck gold with this and it seems kind of crazy to go back now when they have a new, fresh formula that works.

#7 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

I've kind of toyed with an idea that while I don't think it would hold up well as a full-fledged sequel, it could be a sort of "stop-gap" game that they could release between Zelda games.

Basically, what about if you had a Zelda game where you don't play as Link, but one of the random NPCs in Hyrule. Imagine playing as a guard in Hyrule Castle. Instead of a big sprawling overworld, you have the entire castle as your game world, but since you're just a lowly guard, you don't have the authority or permission to enter certain parts. For instance, they probably wouldn't let a guard-in-training or something enter a room like Zelda's private living quarters, a war room, or the parts of the castle used for delicate political meetings.

Ganon attacks, shit goes down, and you have to try and keep things together. Instead of unlocking new dungeons and getting better weapons, people are dying and as things get more bleak, the higher-ups are getting more desperate. You're suddenly getting promotions because the people in charge are dead and need replacements, and you're one of the few people left to fill the position. You aren't getting better gear from dungeons, but maybe the higher-ranked soldiers get better gear, and you make trips to the armory to outfit yourself with what you need.

The catch is, you're not the hero. Yes, you have training and actual armor, so maybe you'd start the game with higher health or stamina than Link would usually. However, while the "Hero of XXXX" has the support of the Sages and the Goddesses alongside the power of the Triforce of Courage, you don't have any of that. You aren't getting Heart Containers or stamina upgrades, you're just as weak at the end as you are to begin with. Even worse, you (the player) knows that Link is going to be the one to save the day with the Master Sword, which you obviously don't have. You know you're going to die, the final boss is simply trying your damnedest to stall for time while what remains of the Royal Family escapes to safety.

Since this would do best as a "stop-gap" game, like I said, you could do some really awesome stuff plot-wise. For example, let's say that this game took place around the same time as Ocarina of Time. Your role in all of this would be ensuring that Impa is able to escape with Zelda. You spend a good part of the game not only trying to keep them safe, but keeping the Royal Treasure away from Ganon's forces. In the end, you die, but Zelda is able to escape with the Royal Treasure. The final scene of the game would be the scene where you finally find out what the treasure was: you see the scene from Ocarina of Time where Zelda and Impa ride out of the castle, and Zelda throws the Ocarina into the moat for Link to grab.

• Matthew likes this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

I.. Don't really know where to start with this. BotW is a Zelda game in a league of its own right now. It is so radically different from any other 3D Zelda, yet it still remains Zelda, and feels like Zelda. I'm sure we'll get a few ports and "filler titles" in the mean time, but whatever they do as long as it isn't another Skyward Sword or shit DS games, I'll probably be happy.

BotW may be a new platform within the series, but that doesn't mean they have to forget the classic 3D formula entirely. It's not like the 2D formula was abandoned when OoT came out for example. So long as they don't completely kill the 3DS, who knows. I'm still thinking they'll make a 20 year anniversary edition of OoT in 2018 so we'll see. :D

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

They need to make a high resolution 2D remake of Zelda 1, and modernize the game.  That should be the next step.  How dare they remake all these other Zelda games BEFORE remaking the game that originated the entire series, lol.

• Matthew likes this

#10 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:45 AM

@kurt 91 - I like that idea a lot, but I don't see such a game selling very well. And the even more obvious reason: There are far to few games similar to Zelda. It shouldn't be that difficult to think up a reasonable quality story for a similar game. And the NPC-/World-interaction never was a too big part in the zelda-games, while I agree that it could be nice to play not as Link, storywise playing as a soldier should be far more complex on the game developers. Though I still think it is weird how Zelda brought out that small elite-group in TP and didn't gave them any screen-time.

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:49 AM

While BotW is really great and pretty amazing, I would like to see a future Zelda go back to their old traditional 3D style again at some point. Of course I wouldn't mind if they tried another BotW-style game, but I do slightly prefer the older style honestly.

Or as an alternative, combine BotW elements and traditional Zelda elements together. I imagine that could be pretty amazing :P

• Naru likes this

#12 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

Or as an alternative, combine BotW elements and traditional Zelda elements together. I imagine that could be pretty amazing :P

Honestly would like this approach more as I can think of many ways to make this happen. And then both sides are happy.
  • Eddy likes this

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

A non-linear and exploration heavy, but traditional Zelda?  Sounds like Zelda 1 and LTTP~  Put the two together, and you get the Legend of Zelda:  The Fantasy of the Past Hyrule, or, Japanese Titles, The Legend of Zelda:  The Godly Triforce of the Hyrulean Fantasy

Edited by Koh, 16 March 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#14 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

I'd like to see another Breath of the Wild that provides complete freedom and depth. It doesn't have to follow everything but those two factors are a must. I don't want the series to go back to the old style, they struck gold with this and it seems kind of crazy to go back now when they have a new, fresh formula that works.

BotW has some things that work really well which is the non-linearity and overworld exploration, but other parts of the classic Zelda formula got overlooked and didn't get much attention at all. Bosses, dungeons, items and the soundtrack all suffered pretty badly, but we got the best overworld any Zelda will probably ever offer.

Opinions and all that of course, but BotW didn't really satisfy the Zelda itch for me. Nothing released after TP has, although Skyward Sword almost did.

• Shane likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

BotW has some things that work really well which is the non-linearity and overworld exploration, but other parts of the classic Zelda formula got overlooked and didn't get much attention at all. Bosses, dungeons, items and the soundtrack all suffered pretty badly, but we got the best overworld any Zelda will probably ever offer.

Opinions and all that of course, but BotW didn't really satisfy the Zelda itch for me. Nothing released after TP has, although Skyward Sword almost did.

Well dungeons I can agree with. But I think BotW's exploration can still work, you know? Items would be nice too and a bit more boss variety (though for what BotW offered I enjoyed it a lot, quite challenging). Soundtrack is a mixed bag, I think there should be more songs however. Either way, now that you clarified, I think I can agree with you although BotW has satisfied me personally but some major aspects should stay exclusive to that title, naturally.

I just don't think Nintendo should go back to having a railroaded experience. I'm completely fine with them bringing in traditional elements into the open world scene however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users