Photo

AOL Tileset.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Adventure of Link Tileset

Should Limzo make it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

No you can't ride the raft over the "Path of Fire" tiles, they cause damage (I think) but are walkable. And yes the swamp tiles are south of the northwest town cave (Ruto town) through the cave that you need the jump spell to get through. As for the swamp tile it doesn't look quite right for some reason, like it's offset or something - the forest tile looks odd too. If you look at my screenshots you can see the tree shapes for the forest tiles, I think they're offset too. The other tiles look fine though.

#17 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

I'm using the GBA version, so the tiles are stretched slightly.

#18 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

...you know...the nes version isn't stretched. :/

#19 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:09 AM

Yes, I'm sorry about that, but I can't download a NES emulator at the moment (I'm not going to explain the situation), but these still fit 16x16.

#20 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

You don't really need an emulator, just a rom and a tool for ripping tiles, the palettes can be winged.

#21 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

I can get the palletes from the GBA rom no sweat, but the tiles are a different matter if you want me to start over

#22 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:33 AM

If the tiles have been distorted, many people are not going to want to use them. Hold out until you can do it properly. Seriously.

Also, I'm not sure why even using the GBA version would stretch the tiles...

#23 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:45 AM

Because the GBA has a different screen resolution than the NES. The NES is 256x224, while the GBA is 320x240. So to fit from the Classic NES version with the widescreen view, the tiles would be stretched.

#24 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, what he said, I would highly suggest using a program like Tile Molester to get the tiles from an NES rom, then getting your palettes from your GBA rom if you must.

#25 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Dec 28 2006, 04:45 AM) View Post
Because the GBA has a different screen resolution than the NES. The NES is 256x224, while the GBA is 320x240. So to fit from the Classic NES version with the widescreen view, the tiles would be stretched.

That's right, but why are the tiles still 16x16? They should be, like, 25x18 after being stretched... icon_unsettled.gif

Edited by Sir Pimpalot, 29 December 2006 - 12:23 AM.

#26 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:26 AM

Because ZC rips them in 16x16 blocks. 320 is a multiple of 16, and 240 is also a multiple of 16. 256 is also a multiple of 16. 224 is a multiple of 16. Hmm...

#27 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(Sir Pimpalot @ Dec 29 2006, 05:23 AM) View Post

That's right, but why are the tiles still 16x16? They should be, like, 25x18 after being stretched... icon_unsettled.gif

Because I didn't rip them from the screenshots, I used VBA's Tile Viewer which uses 8x8 and I think the problem is that rather than me saving the tiles, I just took a screenshot of that instead. Perhaps. Oh forget it, I'll just get palletes together and someone else can get tiles. icon_heh.gif *runs*

#28 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:14 AM

[...] icon_whistle.gif

It is an in depth AOL walk-through with plenty of screenshots, it might not be all the graphics, but its quite a few.

Edited by Master_of_Power, 29 December 2006 - 06:15 AM.

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Dec 27 2006, 11:45 PM) View Post

And there is no option to play it in its original resolution? Because last I checked, stretching a game screen across an odd number of pixels makes it look like crap, especially with no anti-aliasing.

QUOTE(Lotus Eater @ Dec 28 2006, 06:43 AM) View Post

Yeah, what he said, I would highly suggest using a program like Tile Molester to get the tiles from an NES rom, then getting your palettes from your GBA rom if you must.

Probably a good idea. It would be a horrible chore for SNES, but NES games have far fewer tiles in comparison. As most of us know, the original Zelda had less than two tile pages worth. I'm sure AoL has much more than that, but it's probably still manageable.

QUOTE(Limzo @ Dec 29 2006, 02:15 AM) View Post

Because I didn't rip them from the screenshots, I used VBA's Tile Viewer which uses 8x8 and I think the problem is that rather than me saving the tiles, I just took a screenshot of that instead. Perhaps. Oh forget it, I'll just get palletes together and someone else can get tiles. icon_heh.gif *runs*

This shouldn't be that hard... all you need to do is be patient and not rip anything until you secure a method that does so without quality loss. icon_shrug.gif

Master_of_Power:

Great site... probably not enough to produce an entire tileset, but very useful nonetheless. icon_smile.gif

#30 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

Um...just wondoring Limzo...you havn't completed or came anywhere near completion of the tileset yet have you? icon_heh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users