Photo

AOL Tileset.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Adventure of Link Tileset

Should Limzo make it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hiya everyone.
How many of you think I should make an AOL tileset now that it is fully possible in B15?

I am already to do this, but I don't want to waste my time if people don't think it's a good idea.

#2 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

Go right ahead. I'm sure someone will use it. There are plenty of people here that liked Zelda 2. Not me though.

I say go for it.

#3 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

Yeah okay. I'll get onto doing the palletes now. God Bless Visual Boy Advance.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

yes! Please!

#5 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

I had a little image of a AOL dude doing the macarana at one point, but I dont see how you could make a tileset out of it.

The only issue with an AoL set would be that it was made in a completly different perspective than what most users frequently use... but perhaps now that there is a gravity mode, new fun things will be created to accomidate that. By all means, go ahead, rip away young warrior.

#6 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

IPB Image
Howdy!
Yeah, thanks Eatincake. I've not ripped any of the sideview tiles yet, I'm doing the overworld stuff currently, but I WILL test it fully to make sure that it works when warping from side view areas to overworld and vice versa.

#7 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

No I mean the American Online dude... I was bored one night so I made him. As I recall it was a bit choppy but sweet overall.

#8 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, I think a new Adventure of Link tileset would be a good idea. Romaro Negri (permanently banned) had made one, and submitted it, but I think it sucks, and it doesn't have any sideview enemy and Link sprites. There wasn't even an organized list of palletes or anything.

Oh, by the way. Limzo, how are you going to make it so that when you go to the overhead overworld, the Link sprites change to the small ones? icon_confused.gif

#9 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:43 AM

Yes, I am. However, I may have to edit the small ones a bit so they are 4 pixels taller than 16x16 to save me making hundreds of smaller combos.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

Definitely, give it a shot. icon_smile.gif We could use some Zelda 2 tiles. However, I recommend that you attempt to finish the Link tiles early on, since that's what we need the most.

Beta 15 isn't capable of working exactly like Zelda 2, but it can come pretty close. The main discrepancy is that you can still slash downward with your sword. Yes, AoL has downward thrust, but the graphics don't look like a ZC sword thrust at all.

I suggest you use swim tiles for the overhead map, and disable diving in the quest rules.. It's not a perfect solution, but it will suit most questmakers. There are other ways to do it, but they require a lot of work on the part of the quest designer, so I think you should assume they'll be doing their own customization if they want something else.

#11 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

Oh, great idea Radien! Thanks! I'll make the actual water tiles none water tiles lol.
EDIT: But then you can't hammer the rocks...

Edited by Limzo, 23 December 2006 - 02:47 PM.

#12 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:49 AM

The funny thing about this is that I had already started a Zelda2 quest before this poll came out, but I've already got too much done for this to help. I have the western Hyrule overworld, 2 towns, several caves, and other areas and most of the first palace done. It uses beta 15 and lots of scripting including a dialog system. Unfortunately the tileset isn't really in a releasable state. Here are some in game shots, note I'm still using
small link and a neofirst subscreen (to be fixed):

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

The NPCs walk around or look Link's direction. They all talk, you can hit 'A' when standing over them to make them talk (even when walking around). In addition the dialog system doesn't use extra pages or the standard string system (so the special 4 lines strings can be displayed centered above the NPCs). The doors also work, you hit 'UP' to go inside. And the overworld screenshots are cutoff because I disable the subscreen in the overworld like the original game.

Here's a couple from the palace:
IPB ImageIPB Image

Anyway you can rip this if you want but the palettes are screwed so I wouldn't suggest it icon_smile.gif

#13 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:47 AM

Heh. You know the saying, great minds think alike. Well, we must have great minds, as I was going to do much the same thing as an example of how to make quests with this set.

Since I haven't got too far into AoL, could you please tell me if there are any other overworld tiles besides these:
IPB Image

EDIT: and also, what does the one to the right of the town tile do? Is it walkable, etc?

EDIT AGAIN: Please could I have some of your NPC sprites?

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: Sorry, I made the hills green on that shot by accident.

Edited by Limzo, 24 December 2006 - 04:19 AM.

#14 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:29 AM

It's hard to tell with those colors, but the tile right of the town looks like the swamp tiles which slow the character down (I think). Anyway you're missing the graves (a cross over road-like ground), make sure to have the "Path of Fire" tile (they are the same as the water but red-orangish rather then blue), the bridge/raft dock tile and the creature that blocks the river (that you need the whistle to get past). As for NPCs, I've only done 6 (the ones I need for the important people in the first two towns) but I can post the tiles a little later. I've done all the "fixed" people, ones that always stay in the same place or walk the same paths (healing lady, magic restoration lady, item lady, wise man, etc). I still have to add the random guys that say "I know nothing" or whatever, but that they aren't important yet.

#15 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:40 AM

Well, if they are the swamp tiles, they're near when you come out of the cave south of that town in the north west.

And thanks for the advice. Yes, I can get the graves, they're allready on the tilesheet I ripped from the rom but I didn't know if they were on the overworld or whatever. Okay, that means I already have th path of fire, since I just change csets to get that, or can you not ride the raft on that?

EDIT: and I'm using the original colours nintendo used... icon_sweat.gif

Edited by Limzo, 24 December 2006 - 04:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users