• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7351 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

It's just a limitation of the tileset is all. Not a huge deal in my opinion.

#7352 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

Meh, never noticed that error until you guys mentioned it. :P Still, it's a minor thing that GB design can still live with. BTW, pleasant shot Jared, nice and clean. :)

• Jared likes this

#7353 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:25 PM

I personally don't see anything wrong. GB mountains aren't perfect, but they're simplistic. Having tried to "correct" the perspective issue... it's not worth it. It just makes screen designing and walkability a bit needlessly complicated.

That said I love the screen. It's a bit monochromatic. I would suggest different colours for the rails, and maybe a pond of water or better yet, different shade of brown for the mountains! But you nailed the layout so hard!

• Jared and Matthew like this

#7354 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

What I love about the GB set is that it's very diverse in how you can use the set. By this, with a bit of tinkering, you can use interior tiles in outside areas, and vice versa, something that's hard to pull off in other sets like Pure, DoR, and similar, mostly due to how many colors are used by each object and the palette structure itself.

What I'm working on lacks caves. Taking in mind the above, and after an hour more or less on creating a palette (again), I came up with this:

Prw7Ztk.png

I dunno why, but I'm pretty proud of it. The palette was based off of some shots I've seen from Lunaria's Secret Side Project and Ebola Zaire's (cancelled?) Setraline. But then again, I tried to make the palette fit with a MIDI I'm using for cave areas. I think I nailed it pretty nicely. Thoughts?

Credits to Shane/Polaris for his sexy cave tiles by the way. :)

Edited by Demonlink, 20 April 2017 - 01:17 PM.

• Shane, Eddy, Avaro and 4 others like this

#7355 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

MsP3ob5.png

For some reason, the shade of the trees is yellow-ish in game, but gray/black in ZQ, even after rebuilding the transparency table. Not a big deal, but just wondering if anyone else experienced it too. :)

• ShadowTiger, Shane, Eddy and 3 others like this

#7356 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:09 PM

MsP3ob5.png

For some reason, the shade of the trees is yellow-ish in game, but gray/black in ZQ, even after rebuilding the transparency table. Not a big deal, but just wondering if anyone else experienced it too. :)

Do you have the screen and the Dmap set to the same palette? Looks good btw.

• Jared likes this

#7357 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:51 PM

I do! That's why I was confused.

#7358 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, I hate how ZC does transparency. If you don't mind redrawing some tiles, you can work around it fairly well.

Just make a duplicate of each shading tile, and erase pixels on it like a checkerboard. On the second version of the tile, erase the pixels that you left alone on the first version, so you have two alternating "checkerboards".

Make your combos all two-frame animations that run as rapidly as possible. This should create an optical illusion that will give you a pretty decent transparency effect, and you can even combine it with ZC's built-in layer transparency to get yet another effect that can look good. It works amazingly for mist and fog, but it should work well with shade. It's a technique that they used to use in the classic Sonic games to pull off effects like water transparency for the rippling surface.

The only thing to keep in mind is that it'll wreak havoc on YouTube videos of your quest. If I recall correctly, when the effect is used in ZC, it alternates frames at around 60 FPS. By default, most people will record YouTube videos at 30 FPS. This means that they'll only catch a single frame out of the animation. It's easy to deal with, though. Just place a note in the quest description that people recording will need to do so at 60 FPS.

Edited by kurt91, 21 April 2017 - 07:12 AM.

• Jared likes this

#7359 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

What I love about the GB set is that it's very diverse in how you can use the set. By this, with a bit of tinkering, you can use interior tiles in outside areas, and vice versa, something that's hard to pull off in other sets like Pure, DoR, and similar, mostly due to how many colors are used by each object and the palette structure itself.

What I'm working on lacks caves. Taking in mind the above, and after an hour more or less on creating a palette (again), I came up with this:

Prw7Ztk.png

I dunno why, but I'm pretty proud of it. The palette was based off of some shots I've seen from Lunaria's Secret Side Project and Ebola Zaire's (cancelled?) Setraline. But then again, I tried to make the palette fit with a MIDI I'm using for cave areas. I think I nailed it pretty nicely. Thoughts?

Very gorgeous! Did you get those cave top borders from Shane as well?

• Demonlink likes this

#7360 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:06 AM

Prw7Ztk.png

I don't argue that it looks nice, but I would go ahead and argue that it looks like a cave much at all. It uses many overworld tiles and that kind of makes it look very little like an actual cave.

As for Jared's screen: I like it, very forest-y.

• Jared likes this

#7361 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

Very gorgeous! Did you get those cave top borders from Shane as well?

Yep! Ripped them from his Sanctuary Tree set. :)

I don't argue that it looks nice, but I would go ahead and argue that it looks like a cave much at all. It uses many overworld tiles and that kind of makes it look very little like an actual cave.

Actually, that was the intention. Since making a cave look interesting is kinda tedious to pull off using only interior tiles, I decided to just combine outside elements as well. This, with the idea that caves usually have some ponds, grass/plants and such. :) Besides, EZGBZ is good for trying various combinations.

• Avaro likes this

#7362 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

I decided to work on a project and got some progress good down. I decided I'm going to show teasers infrequently as opposed to just outright giving PureZC an info blackout with what I'm up to. This project isn't fully set in stone (story and gameplay ideas are still in shambles) but this has been worked on for a while now so we'll see where this goes I guess.

3W1176S.png

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, FireSeraphim, Bourkification and 5 others like this

#7363 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

I decided to work on a project and got some progress good down. I decided I'm going to show teasers infrequently as opposed to just outright giving PureZC an info blackout with what I'm up to. This project isn't fully set in stone (story and gameplay ideas are still in shambles) but this has been worked on for a while now so we'll see where this goes I guess.

3W1176S.png

I think you've solidified your place as best city designer. I'm never disappointed with the urban shots you release.
  • Shane and Sheik like this

#7364 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

Started work on the expanded area for my quest, Metroid: Origins. One shot will be in this week's SOTW contest, but here's another for good measure.

eqy2cmN.png

My original intent was to have this new region to be optional, but after a bit of thought I decided to make it a required section.

There will be three warps, hidden in the three main regions of the normal game which let you access three different parts of this section and various other upgrades within. Some items from the main areas will be moved here and I'm planning to install a few new bosses to guard them.

I may also have a section of this area devoted to the source of the signal which drew you to the planet in the first place, if I can find good enough tiles for it.

Edited by ywkls, 14 May 2017 - 12:28 AM.

• Jared likes this

#7365 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

3W1176S.png

I must say, Shane, this is quite a great looking screen. Love the buildings, and well... pretty much everything. I must say though, perhaps making the area between the 2 trees into a grass or flower patch. That way, it gives the screen just a little more variety in color.

Started work on the expanded area for my quest, Metroid: Origins. One shot will be in this week's SOTW contest, but here's another for good measure.

eqy2cmN.png

My original intent was to have this new region to be optional, but after a bit of thought I decided to make it a required section.

There will be three warps, hidden in the three main regions of the normal game which let you access three different parts of this section and various other upgrades within. Some items from the main areas will be moved here and I'm planning to install a few new bosses to guard them.

I may also have a section of this area devoted to the source of the signal which drew you to the planet in the first place, if I can find good enough tiles for it.

ywkls, this continues to look quite interesting to me. Really feels Metroidy to me, and I am looking forward to seeing more of this.

• Shane and ywkls like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users