The "Misc Colors" area.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

Go to Quest -> Graphics -> Misc Colors. That's where I'm looking.

It's the darndest thing. After all these years of using ZQuest, I still don't fully understand what the "Misc Colors" area of ZQuest really does.

A one-to-three word description of each just doesn't do must of these justice. For example, what does "Minimap Foreground 1" represent? I never think of Minimaps as having a foreground, much less two of them. :odd:

Sure, some things are obvious. Subscreen background, for example, is fairly obvious. But what's the "Subscreen Shadow" going to represent? I never knew it had a shadow. Why does the Triforce Frame need a color? It doesn't say what the color is for. If you can set your own Triforce frame graphic, what color would that use? It's so weird.

Is there anywhere that has a decent description of all of these cockamamy items?
  • Avaro likes this

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Go to Quest -> Graphics -> Misc Colors. That's where I'm looking.

It's the darndest thing. After all these years of using ZQuest, I still don't fully understand what the "Misc Colors" area of ZQuest really does.

A one-to-three word description of each just doesn't do must of these justice. For example, what does "Minimap Foreground 1" represent? I never think of Minimaps as having a foreground, much less two of them. :odd:

Sure, some things are obvious. Subscreen background, for example, is fairly obvious. But what's the "Subscreen Shadow" going to represent? I never knew it had a shadow. Why does the Triforce Frame need a color? It doesn't say what the color is for. If you can set your own Triforce frame graphic, what color would that use? It's so weird.

Is there anywhere that has a decent description of all of these cockamamy items?

At some prior point, I explained all of these to Lunaria. They're detailed in zquest.txt, complete with their original typos (as I'ven't yet addressed this):

+---------------------------+
| 4.16  MISC. COLORS        |
+---------------------------+

This pane lets you adjust colours for a variety of miscellaneous game features. Choose a color by entering the hexadecimal coordinates for its location in the square to the left.
 - Text: the default text colour for subscreen text.
 - Caption: Caption color on the subscreen.
 - Overworld Minimap: the color of the NES minimap for Overworld DMaps.
 - Minimap Background: the Interior or Dungeon minimaps' background color. In The Legend of Zelda, this is black.
 - Minimap Foreground 1 and 2: the color used to draw the minimaps' rooms. DMaps can use either of these colours.
 - BS Dark and Goal: Used for BS overworld maps.
 - Compass Light and Dark: Light when the Triforce is still in the DMap, Dark when it is gone.
 - Subscreen Background: the default color for subscreens. In The Legend of Zelda, this is black.
 - Subscreen Shadow: in The Legend of Zelda, this is black.
 - Triforce Frame color: the color for Triforce Frame objects in the subscreens.
 - Big Map Background: color for the background of Big Map subscreen objects.
 - Big Map Foreground: color for the background of Big Map subscreen objects.
 - Link's Position: By default, ues Cset 6, color 1 (0x61) so that the indicator will change colors according to Link's ring.
 - Message Text: the default message string color.

Many of these are for pre-250 quests, where a subscreen editor did not exist, and these were the entry points for making small modifications.

Try setting subscreen shadow to green, or red.

The colours that are particularly important in 2.50 and later, are:

•  - Overworld Minimap: the colour of the NES minimap for Overworld DMaps.
    • This is the colour of the backdrop for overworld passive subscreen maps, if you do not use a background tile. 
  •  - Minimap Background: the Interior or Dungeon minimaps' background colour. In The Legend of Zelda, this is black.
    • This is the colour of the backdrop for dungeon passive subscreen maps, if you do not use a background tile.
  •  - Minimap Foreground 1 and 2: the colour used to draw the minimaps' rooms. DMaps can use either of these colours.
    • This is the colour of the squares for passive subscreen maps.
  •  - BS Dark and Goal: Used for BS overworld maps. (These are effectively the overworld compass markers.)
    • This is equivalent to the cursor colour for the compass marker.for BS quests. Without the Triforce/Boss defeated, it uses the 'Goal' colour; and if you have the Triforce for the level, it changes to 'Dark'.
  •  - Compass Light and Dark: Light when the Triforce is still in the DMap, Dark when it is gone.
    • This is the cursor colour for the compass marker. Without the Triforce, it uses the 'Light' colour; and if you have the Triforce for the level, it changes to 'Dark'.
  •  - Big Map Background: colour for the background of Big Map subscreen objects.
    • This is the background colour for active subscreen maps.
  •  - Big Map Foreground: colour for the foreground of Big Map subscreen objects.
    • This is the colour for visited rooms on active subscreen maps.
  •  - Link's Position: By default, ues Cset 6, colour 1 (0x61) so that the indicator will change colors according to Link's ring.
    • This sets the cursor colour for Link's position on a passive subscreen map. If you set this to a colour that is not on CSet 6, it is static. If you set it to a colour that is swapped with level palettes, it will shift as needed.
  •  - Message Text: the default message string colour.
    • Useful if you want the to be other than  white by default; if for example, you always use a Gameboy style display, SCCs for text colour override this value.

The rest exist for compatibility with 2.10.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 December 2016 - 07:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users