[Request] Cars for Koten

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

So, what I need is cars, doesn't matter what style, SUV, pickup, sedan, convertible, van, whatever is fine, but it needs to be 3 tiles wide x 2 tiles tall, fit within the art style of Koten (I'll probably turn it 8-bit, anyways, so it doesn't have to fit any palette restrictions) and needs to be at a 3/4 perspective,and my own attempts have not produced promising results:

Exmountain2.png
it doesn't look good, at all, the perspective is off, because I couldn't figure out how to draw it except as a top-down perspective. It was mildly able to fit with the old set, but only because that set was based on classic, while Koten is a much prettier and more detailed set (and doesn't work as well with true top-down perspective)

I hope this doesn't come off as demanding or anything, I always worry about my tone when writing these requests, and if anyone could supply this I would be very appreciative.

Edited by Binx, 06 December 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

*cracks fingers*

I'll give it a try.

• Binx likes this

#3 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

Thanks! I took another crack at it late last night, it's still ugly, but if it helps, you can use it as a starting point:

cars%20n%20stuff.png

Honestly, I think part of the problem might just be that it's too small, so detail suffers, but I'm not sure. May need a resize to 3x5, but I'm sure I can do that, myself, if necessary.

Edited by Binx, 07 December 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

ah, I already started from scratch after I made my post, plus, I would have done that anyway. :P

3x2 works fine, anything larger would probably look out of place anyway give the size of other things.

• Binx likes this

#5 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

I thought the same, but I way screwed the pooch on height, misjudging the stage design; and the pool table and air hockey table are 3x2 and 2x4, respectively, so it looks a bit small, in context:

zelda683.png

Also, i should probably make the arcade cabinets bigger.

Edited by Binx, 07 December 2015 - 11:59 AM.

• LikeLike on fire likes this

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

Truck.png

This is 2x size to make it easier to see, will this do? If so I'll dump out a proper tile sheet for you.

Also, most things on that map looks like it has way more colours than koten. :P

#7 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

Well, the base palette is a bit altered from Koten, I removed all the repeated ramps and added in yellow, orange, grey, and green ramps (but I pulled all the colors from the base palette that was already *in* koten, so with the exception of the 12 or so colors added to the level palette for the beginning, all the colors *should* fit within the constraints of an NES palette). Other than that, it's just in 8-bit. It's only going to be on this one map, though, to differentiate between the modern world you start off in, and the fantasy world the majority of the game takes place in. It's actually going to be a plot point!

Also, that looks *way* better than anything I've done! *drools*

Edited by Binx, 07 December 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

mmm well, what I mean is, a lot of the tiles here simply does not follow palette restriction that the NES has, ergo, it clashes quite a bit with how koten looks.
In general, the restriction is 1 palette (4 colours) per 8x8 (pixels). Koten does all it's detail depth from clever perspectives and shading techniques, which is what gives the tileset it's special look.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and upload the sheet then. I included the WIP stuff as well, if you're interested in the process. Furthermore, I made a two ramp version should you wish to use that.

Truck2.png

Also, a tip for the future: Get a better image hosting service than photobucket. In case you did not notice, they have auto converted your image to jpg and ruined the quality, which is a death sentence when it comes to anything pixel related. (Zoom in on the large image you posted to see what I mean.)

Edited by Lunaria, 07 December 2015 - 12:30 PM.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

Right, I do understand that. Again, the 8-bit stuff isn't *really* supposed to match, other than the overall art style, after leaving this first map, everything goes to 4-color, (though, admittedly, I cheated on the mountains, the darker ones use only 4 colors, but they're from two ramps, but you won't be able to tell, in-game) and stays there for the rest of the game. Again, it's a plot point, and it'll make sense, when the demo is finished (granted, considering I still have to re-sprite every single enemy, write at least 3 more midi files, and finish 3 more OW maps, not to mention level 1 and all the caves, tunnels, grottos and other secrets, that'll probably be a while). I even made a special level palette, just for this one map. But yeah, this quest is not, nor has it ever been intended to keep strict adherence to Koten's original palette, especially since every single LoZ reference is being removed from my version of the tileset.

Seriously, though, thanks for the car, it looks amazing!

Edited by Binx, 07 December 2015 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users