The Legend of Zelda - The Tower of Dawn

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

Quick update: Just made Level 5 instead of Level 4, due to a random flash of inspiration for a good idea for that level, and I already had a good idea for Level 4. Anyway, I've only seen the Level 4 gimmick used once or twice before and never seen the Level 5 one, so they should be interesting for you guys. I'll post some screenshots when I get around to it.

#32 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Oh dear lord it has been ages. As per usual, I basically got lazy with this quest. And I don't mean just one hour of development a week. Oh no. I mean literally no development has taken place since I last posted here. No planning has either, so I haven't even spent this down time doing anything. It's not just laziness though. I got Xbox Live, Minecraft and a load of other things all in the space of a year, so I've been preoccupied with them. On top of that, my workload for school has increased, so I've been doing that too. I actually have a test on Monday that I need to study for, so yeah.

You may be wondering, why suddenly come back to it? Well really, I felt bad, as I remembered someone's comment stating that not all of these quests are finished. So I felt like I should finish it, and I began this quest with the intention of finishing it. So I might as well, right?

Another reason for coming back is the random flash of inspiration I had for some of the levels. Level 5 is almost finished, as I literally have two rooms to do. I've made the area leading to Level 3 a little more linear, so you are forced to explore most of the area, rather than the way it was before, where you could literally just skip most of the area completely. I still need to plan and create Level 4, which will contain two items that really help with Level 5. The first is required for the boss and the second really helps, seeing as Level 5 is filled with Like Likes.

Well, I do plan on finishing this quest sooner or later, and will post some screenshots of Levels 4 and 5 once I finish them both.

#33 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

Oh wow. I'm pretty sure no-one but me cares about this project anymore, but I'm still working on it, despite about half a year of doing nothing. I've completely redesigned Level 1 to the point where I've finally found something that works. I've also finished up to Level 5, with Level 4 needing two more screens to be added. He's some screenshots I took a few seconds ago.

IPB Image
Level 1. This is the same screen that I once posted that had the two lines of blocks. Yeah I changed that. I think I have the ladder use enabled so if you want to come back for whatever reason you can skip quite a lot of the level. You can't sequence break though because I've designed the Overworld in a way that requires you to fully complete this level. If you don't, you can't progress.

IPB Image
An introduction to Level 2. Really not sure about the coloured blocks in this room, but eh, they can be changed.

IPB Image
Dodongos. Yeah.

IPB Image
More Level 4 action, this time including Like Likes.

But yeah, as I've said, I'm sure no-one but me cares anymore, but this project is still going and I have a lot more free time now, so I'll be developing it. I've got Levels 4 and 5 almost done, and Level 7 completely planned out. I just need to do Levels 6 and 8. Then I have much more to do for Level 9.

#34 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

I was actually interested about hearing news on this quest when you disappeared from here quite a while. Just like how I was interested in hearing news on Fausch's Guardian Angel, a webcomic, when it "fell by the wayside" (as he said) at around November 2010.

Aside from that, I hope to see more as you are going along. Just because a screen design is bland/bad aesthetical design doesn't mean the quest will suck. Just look ABITHF (A Battle in the Hyrule Fields, 2.10 quest) - It has a very bland design but it is currently a 4-star quest in the PZC database, proving that screendesign isn't everything.

Edited by Orin XD, 18 July 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#35 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, I know I disappeared. To be honest, I couldn't think of ideas, and I was busy. But now I have loads of time. I'm currently redesigning some of the rooms in Level 2. It's still the same size as it was, due to the fact that I want it to be large. It's not difficult; I'm terrible at keyboard controls and I can complete it. And F6+Continue is your friend.

Also with regards to this quest. I might release a Demo version soon, with the first four levels, just to see what everybody thinks of them. Although I've only just finished Level 5 as it is, so I might wait a bit until that happens.

#36 -DuCkTApE-

-DuCkTApE-

The "Mask" will take over...

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I cant wait to play this!!! these screenshots look great!

#37 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Quick update before I go, I've spent today adding the finishing touches to Level 4, and starting on Level 6, a level which actively hates the player. You'll see what I mean when you play it, and I appologise in advance.

I'll see how people find it before I decide whether to release a guide on how to do this level. You'll probably need one.

#38 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Okay, here are some screenshots from Level 6, the level that actively hates you.

IPB Image
The horrors begin...

IPB Image
See? He knows.

Yeah, Level 6 is so far the largest level in the game, the hardest by a long way, and the most evil by an even longer way. I'm not changing this, but this level is the first real challenge of the game. It's made easier by the addition of the Magic Sword, but the enemies won't take long to kill you if you're not careful.

You probably won't know what makes this level so horrible. Well I'll give you one hint. I got permission to use this gimmick from someone, who used it once, in Level 5, of his first ever quest.

If you've guessed it (from that purposefully vague hint...) just tell me how evil I am for implementing it.

#39 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

I remember this quest! All I can really say it looks great so far, and i'm looking forward to playing it! icon_biggrin.gif

#40 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Okay another update, since my last post not much progress has been made. Updates include:

- Addition of gauntlet for getting Magic Sword
- A little addition to the first room of Level 6, which is a very nice thing for me to do for the player, after I was playing Level 6 and died at the boss. The prospect of going through that level again, plus the fact that I could die at the boss again, made me do this. It's alright though because you don't get the required item until right before the boss anyway.
- Made many of Level 6's rooms more interesting.

I'm really not looking forward to making and playtesting Level 7 because it involves ripping a lot of graphics and implementing them. I've already done the graphics but it'll take a long time to make the level. And I still need to plan Level 8, Level 9 and the path leading to it. I still don't know how the path should look.

#41 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(Laprabi @ Nov 3 2012, 08:43 AM) View Post
I'm really not looking forward to making and playtesting Level 7 because it involves ripping a lot of graphics and implementing them. I've already done the graphics but it'll take a long time to make the level. And I still need to plan Level 8, Level 9 and the path leading to it. I still don't know how the path should look.
Reminds me of level 8 from my quest! Lots of custom graphics and the fact that it was my largest dungeon yet combined to take me a number of months to finish it. ... Not trying to scare you, though; it actually turned out great, so it was well worth it. I just made the custom graphics as I needed them.
Good luck with yours! icon_smile.gif If you have all the graphics done already, that should make it easier to work on.

Now, about the path, I'm wondering if you mean that you haven't made the overworld screens that lead up to it/them. That all depends on what theme you have picked for each level. For example, if level 8 is a decaying dungeon with ghosts and mummies (e.g. ghinis and gibdos) in it, then you could make the overworld screens leading up to it be a graveyard, maybe a mazelike one.

Do you have the entrance screens done and just not the path leading to them?

#42 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

^I've done most of the overworld already. I have the entrance to Level 7 done, an area only made passable by the hammer (found in Level 7) and Level 8 is a citadel, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna make that. Might try the whole multiple floors idea, which could be interesting.

Level 7 is a mine, which is like 3 floors down, involves stolen MMDWR graphics because I liked the caves there, and is even more horrible than Level 6. Level 7 is really long and confusing. Level 6 is only slightly shorter and a hell of a lot more confusing. Does this make me a bad person? When you see how evil Level 6 is you might answer yes to that.

And also, I really want to do sort of a mountain road sort of deal to get to Level 9. Does anyone have any examples on quests when this is done? Prefferably in the BS tileset, as that's what I'm using. I think I saw one in an example quest, but I can't find it for the life of me. Can anyone help me here?

#43 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Well, it's up to you if you really want to make level 7 long. I would hope for unlockable shortcuts if you do, though.

For level 9, are you talking about a winding mountain road that leads exclusively to that level?
If not exclusively, I'd refer you to the original Zelda; if you('ve) download(ed) version 2.10, you will get (have gotten) a quest called "BS1st.qst" which you could look at for the layout leading to level 9. Because the entrance is bombable, there are other screens with hidden caves to be found in the area and you'd miss it if you didn't know where to look.

#44 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, the mountain road leads exclusively to that level. There may be a few caves and items along the way, but apart from that it's only to get to Level 9.

Just started on Level 7, and that's the only real obstacle I have. It's long, and I'll need to implement some shortcuts back yet, but it's alright and should come out good.

#45 Laprabi

Laprabi

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Okay guys, despite the level of activity here, I am STILL working on this project, just Level 7 is taking a while to do, due to it's sheer size. I'm working on making hints within the level too, as otherwise it would be damn near impossible to complete unassisted. I suppose it's easy for me to do, but I'm the one who made it. I'll post updates and screenshots soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users