Photo

Zelda Classic 2.53.0 Beta Release 2 (Official)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#76 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

I thought so, but the post was not entirely clear if it is a new issue. I'll go in and re-apply the fix when I have some time.

I'll add both default behaviour for old quests, plus a QR so that quests saved in 2.53 do not need to reconfigure their scripts.

Hm well it's very unlikely it's a new bug. Also you can do that? That would be great.

#77 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

Zoria, critical bug:

I was playing Revenge 2, and when I went for the Fire Boomerang, picked up the Mushroom, and the guy came back when I left the cave.

I imagine this is pretty bad (compatibility with 1.90)

-James

I'm not familiar with the quest, can you explain a bit more the scenario?

#78 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

It would've been nice if there was some mention of this on Shardstorm >.> I've been sourcing news on updates to this software from that seemingly dead site. This topic makes me feel like I've been missing out on status updates (seeing as there's been seemingly multiple beta's since 2.50.2).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 17 July 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#79 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

Screenshot, please.

James, please check these two issues in 2.50.2. I need to know if these are issues that we never knew about before, or if they are new, introduced in 2.53. I suspect this is a quest rule that is not being set, or something odd. I'll need to check the quests.
Are you testing this stuff with, or without cheats?

Without cheats. :)

DD, wrote the bug up completely in the Bugs forum on AGN.

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 17 July 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#80 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hm well it's very unlikely it's a new bug. Also you can do that? That would be great.

All things are possible. This one, at least, is easy. I did precisely the same thing for SetComboSolid: Old quests use a specific COMBOSDM based on the QHeader, or based on a rules bit for Build 31+.

I'll note here, that while we are running out of QR bits, which is why Saffith and Gleeok did not want to use them for these things, this will not matter in 2,54 and later, as those have a new save format; plus, I am rewriting rules in general. A lot of things will be in the editors (enemies, items, and such), or available on DMaps or Screens. Some rules will become toggles that can be set at any time by script, and some things are undecided.

The present QR bits will be locked as of 2.53 Final, whenever that is out, and ZQuest thereafter will read these as old_quest_rules. THe new system, that I plan to have in class FFScript::FFRules[] will be a centralised location for rules that are forwarded from old_quest_rules, that are not part of the editors, so using up the last few bits in 2.53 no longer has the weight that it would carry, if we were doing 2.50.3, 2.50.4, 2.50.5, and such.

The decision to kill the 2.50.x line with this build allows us to be able to fix things without as much bother, in future builds; and my personal policy that each new release should not produce quests that play in older versions of ZC, as 2.50.2 and 2.50.1 did, will ensure that we do not run into these issues, ever again.

It will also give users a valid reason to update. Allowing 2.50.1 and 2.50.2 quests to run in 2.50.0, for example, did not encourage upgrading, which meant that (1) quests had bugs in older players, and people were scrambling to use one version over another; (2) fixes that would have worked for some issues, could not be implemented, because they would break quests when you play them in the older players, and (3) not even the slightest new feature could be added for the item editor, enemy editor, combo editor, sprite editor, map editor, screen editor, or ZScript.

If I am going to work to support ZC for the long-term, I do not want to create an intentional developmental cul-de-sac, which is why that policy has to end. Do not expect to see 2.53.1, 2.53.2 and so forth. I want this to be the pinnacle of the 2.50.x line, so I do want to resolve as many of these issues as possible.

One main concern, is of course, Allegro, and I may need to recompile that on my own toolchain; and then, compile it for Linux and OSX... This is neither fun, nor easy, and it is why I wish that we had more staff, but hey-nonny-nonny; what can I do about that?

It would've been nice if there was some mention of this on Shardstorm >.> I've been sourcing news on updates to this software from that seemingly dead site. This topic makes me feel like I've been missing out on status updates (seeing as there's been seemingly multiple beta's since 2.50.2).

I do not have write access on Shardstorm, and that is not technically where this stuff is going now. The live changelog will be on ZeldaClassic.com, and I might pester War Lord to update it, once this is out in Gamma form.

#81 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

Reusing quest rule bits makes me extremely nervous and has been the source of tons of compatibility bugs. Best to just expand the questrules bit field. In any case this thread is not the place for that discussion.

#82 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

I do not have write access on Shardstorm, and that is not technically where this stuff is going now. The live changelog will be on ZeldaClassic.com, and I might pester War Lord to update it, once this is out in Gamma form.

Still though, it would've been nice if anyone with access to there left a note at the top saying the site is no longer relevant/is dead or something. I also didn't notice that Zeldaclassic.com had changed significantly (or is that a new website?). Didn't Armageddongames used to use zeldaclassic.com too as a redirect URL?

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 18 July 2017 - 02:40 AM.

#83 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

Still though, it would've been nice if anyone with access to there to just left a note at the top saying the site is no longer relevant/is dead or something.

Done.

• Nicholas Steel and coolgamer012345 like this

#84 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

Awesome, thank you DarkDragon.

#85 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

Reusing quest rule bits makes me extremely nervous and has been the source of tons of compatibility bugs. Best to just expand the questrules bit field. In any case this thread is not the place for that discussion.

I'm not planning to reuse any of them. That would be a terrible idea, and I agree that we can discuss that aspect elsewhere. I posted about it because the present limit on available bits will not exist in the next major release, and as an example of why back-porting ZQuest output is just not a wise policy to continue.

#86 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

The first thing I do when using ZQuest Editor is turn off Auto-save. It's strange to me that is turned on by default. It really sucks when you're testing something out, then you don't like your changes, but it saves them over your file, it can be hard to remember how to undo/restore everything you've done that session. Plus new users are apt to make bad changes and fiddle with things they shouldn't and auto-save can make those mistakes "permanent" since new users probably won't remember what they've done, what it means, and how to undo it.

• Jared likes this

#87 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Timed saves make separate files. They don't overwrite manual saves.

#88 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

Is the .qt the auto save and the .qb the backup saves?

Edited by Cukeman, 25 July 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#89 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

Yes.
  • Cukeman likes this

#90 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

I like to report for error respond for 1.92 quest.  Isle of the Wind.    It seem d-pad or rather arrow key have problem respond time to time.   For example, there is cracking wall on right side.   I set the bomb and I press left and it didn't respond and I died on spot.  *wah-wah-wahhhh sound*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users