Quest 447

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

Just realized I forgot to make an actual announcement thread about this! Bah.

So I get that Classic quests are often not all that popular, especially if they embrace a more primitive NES-like style of play, but they are quick to make and don't take that long to get through either. Honestly an underrated quest type if you ask me.

So I made one. It uses some of ZC's additions as you progress but not enough to really kill the NES feel. It is deliberately cryptic in some ways that the original Zelda was, but this can be mitigated some by finding some of the aforementioned ZC additions. :)

I also re-used some of the soundtrack from Quest 745, so it should be nicer to listen to than zelda.nsf or MIDI files. Hopefully.

The whole quest was done in a week. I am amazed how much faster it is to not have to worry about layering and special effects and floor borders and complex cliff arrangements!

Here's the database page!

• Anthus likes this

#2 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

I've finished levels 1,2,3,5.and some of 6 but I can't find the raft.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

#3 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Spoiler

#4 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

So I get that Classic quests are often not all that popular, especially if they embrace a more primitive NES-like style of play, but they are quick to make and don't take that long to get through either. Honestly an underrated quest type if you ask me.

^ this I think sums up why I like using classic as well. its just not worth it for me to fumble through a million mountain tiles just so they synch up. 

USE THIS TILESET OR DON'T

that said, I'm interested to see what you did with this, so I'll have to give it a try later. 

Or not.

• Anthus likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

I'm going to play this full version tonight, and possibly record it. I'm pretty hyped, I like NES quests. :D

#6 Gold Ring

Gold Ring

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:17 PM

I'm enjoying the quest so far and am just about to start Level 6.   Is there anywhere on the overworld to use the whistle? So far I've only used it to defeat digdoggers.

#7 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

Nope, I kinda felt like whistle triggers are a bit *too* cryptic. One of the things I didn't like about the original Zelda. >_>

Glad you're enjoying the quest though!

#8 bti182

bti182

The Cigar Hound

• Members

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

Went back for the sword and finished the quest, was a fun 4+ hour quest!

Did I miss anything else after Level 9?  Thanks for the play!

zelda001.jpg

Edited by bti182, 29 November 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#9 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

Looks like you've got everything! You're probably the first to 100% the quest!

I am amused at how the quest still says it has 2 downloads on its page. That's ... interesting.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

I've been playing this, and just beat Level 3. Good stuff so far. It really feels like nicely polished NES package. The little changes make some of the more annoying parts of the Z1 formula bearable, and the quality seems consistent throughout. Awesome job with the sound track too. I will write a full review when I'm done.

I am also recording my playthrough, and it can be viewed here, for anyone interested. :)

#11 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

I've been made aware of a couple bugs and some general complaints and will be working on a build to address these. Namely there is a door in one dungeon that is locked on one side but not the other; Level 4 is too hard to find, there's an unused empty room in level 9 which appears on the map, and there are way too many overworld screens without any secrets on them. Level 9 also does not have a level of difficulty with which I am satisfied.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

Is the level 4 key thing game stopping? I'm about to record it, and don't want to misuse a key and get stuck.

#13 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

I've just now submitted an update with the above bugs fixed and many (15+) additional new overworld secrets. The overworld now has more screens with secrets than without. Level 4 is easier to find. I made the wooden boomerang and blue candle slightly cheaper. Levels 8 and 9 are harder. The door in level 7 that was locked on one side is now just a normal doorway on both sides. The map in level 3 is no longer behind an immovable shutter (it was actually triggered by a block, but the room with the block trigger was filled with blocks so that was kind of a dumb idea.) I changed a few strings in minor ways.

As of this writing the new build is awaiting approval.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

Can I use the same save? And yeah, I couldn't get the map in level 3, but I just thought I was missing a bombable wall or something.

I'll continue recording once the new version is up. :)

#15 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

There's no global script in the quest so your existing save file will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users