1368 replies to this topic

#61 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Theryan @ May 1 2012, 04:11 AM) View Post

But there is a Magic Wallet.

Oops, yeah, this is actually a Triforce dungeon. I don't know why I have the big wallet there.. >.>

QUOTE(L L L L L LINK @ May 1 2012, 11:19 AM) View Post

How? : /

In the 2.5 RCs, go to View-> Map, then select the largest size, and check the box that says "Save Image (Mapmaker)". This will save a full resolution map in you ZC folder. You can scale it down in an image editing program to make it smaller, if you want. Some people do that, but it's not a requirement, unless you want to post the actual image in the thread with no link.

QUOTE(Shane @ May 10 2012, 06:10 AM) View Post

I like this a lot. It truly mized AlttP, and the GB styles pretty well. The colors look nice, and the tiles look nice too. I really like the modified AlttP trees.

Here is most of the southern overworld from my quest.

#62 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

All I have to say is, that's pretty damn great for classic.

You should be very proud of yourself. (The GB castle walls are pretty bad, though icon_frown.gif)

#63 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Anthus @ May 11 2012, 10:52 AM) View Post

When this quest gets finished, it automatically wins the award for most beautiful classic quest. It's amazing. The screen design, the colors, everything! The islands look amazing, especially the references to Zelda 1's level 1 and 9... and is the crescent shaped one supposed to be level 2? The town looks astounding; I've never seen one pulled off in classic before. Are those tiles in the set already, ripped, or custom? And on a final note, on the mountain, is that THE Spectacle Rock, or just a reference of sorts?

#64 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(Dragonite @ May 11 2012, 01:58 PM) View Post

All I have to say is, that's pretty damn great for classic.

You should be very proud of yourself. (The GB castle walls are pretty bad, though icon_frown.gif)

Thanks icon_smile.gif Yeah, honestly, it's hard to find easy-to-use castle tiles that fit in with classic. They will probably stay though, but I might mess with the colors.

QUOTE(Russ @ May 11 2012, 02:05 PM) View Post

When this quest gets finished, it automatically wins the award for most beautiful classic quest. It's amazing. The screen design, the colors, everything! The islands look amazing, especially the references to Zelda 1's level 1 and 9... and is the crescent shaped one supposed to be level 2? The town looks astounding; I've never seen one pulled off in classic before. Are those tiles in the set already, ripped, or custom? And on a final note, on the mountain, is that THE Spectacle Rock, or just a reference of sorts?

There will be a Triforce dungeon in one of the islands (And a mini dungeons of sorts too). But the second dungeon is actually going to be located in an area not shown here. The islands won't become fully explorable in their entirety till later in the quest since you will need flippers. The islands will have a small cave system, and some optional stuff as well.

When I first got into planning this map, I wanted there to be a lot of underground cave connects, but I've decided to keep it limited to ones that are essential, since I don't want players to get board of wandering through cave systems just to get to a certain area. Basically, there are five cave systems planned. There is one for the islands, one for the ice mountain area, one for the Eldin mountain area, one in Death Mountain (near the spectacle rock, which yes, it supposed to be spectacle rock), and one more smaller one the connects some areas of the overworld once you get more items. This way, each cave area can still have its own theme beyond being just a cave (Ice, lava, water, etc.). There will also be water warps to get around quicker once you get the flippers.

The tiles used for the houses and towns are all in Classic. The fronts of the houses are some of the extra 'solid tile' combos near the dungeon tiles, and the roofs are just those 'barrier' tiles that use long lines. The only tiles I ripped so far for the overworld are a few from the FF3 set (extra mountain details) and a few selections from the Gameboy set (Fish dungeon entrance, castle walls). Even the lava used on 'Eldin Mountain' existed in the set, but I just recolored it. It was originally just another waterfall tile. The 'sunset sky' tiles are custom though, and the large 64x64 trees are also custom.. as much as they can be anyway.

But thanks for you words of encouragement. icon_smile.gif

EDIT: I might as well post this here too. It's already in the quest's thread, but here is the world map so far:
Kinda-sorta large image alert.
Spoiler

Edited by Anthus, 11 May 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#65 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

^Quite literally the best map I've ever seen using the classic tileset.

This game's overworld looks amazing! I can't wait to play on this map. Very nice job, man icon_biggrin.gif

#66 ABH15

ABH15

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

^ wow great map. Nothing negative to say.
...Noo! Faron Woods is gone!!!! Why!!!

#67 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

If I told you I wasn't drooling over that map, I'd be lying. That really is amazing work Anthus. I can't wait to get to play it all.

QUOTE(ABH15 @ May 11 2012, 12:53 PM) View Post

Technically, "No" is negative. icon_razz.gif As for why it's gone, he hasn't actually finished it yet. It's a work in progress.

#68 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

I don't think any of them are wrong in saying that's probably one of the best classic maps ever, if not the best. Your skills are fantastic, dude.

#69 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

IPB Image

It's a start.

#70 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Note to self,

Beware of Anthus's and Marco's awesome maps.

~ Shane

Any feedback on my map? icon_frown.gif

Edited by Shane, 11 May 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#71 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

I love it Shane. Simple, balanced and unified. I dig the flowers, too. The beach sand doesn't really go keen to my eye, but I'm sure it will get fixed. I understand it's a beta.

Anthus. You and I, have a talent for Classic. You really nailed the colors contrast and blend. The towns designs are superb, this truly has a flawless fantasy Zelda feel.

Edited by Marco, 11 May 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#72 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ May 12 2012, 11:19 AM) View Post

I love it Shane. Simple, balanced and unified. I dig the flowers, too. The beach sand doesn't really go keen to my eye, but I'm sure it will get fixed. I understand it's a beta.

Yeah the sand is something I'm going to edit a little bit in the future. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

#73 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Marco: I'm in love with a tileset. It's gorgeous. Nothing else to say.

Shane: It really captures the LttP feel well. It's nice, well laid out, and not too empty, while at the same time, it's not too crowded or too busy.

#74 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Russ, I'm trying not go overboard lol. icon_razz.gif

#75 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ May 11 2012, 03:37 PM) View Post

^Quite literally the best map I've ever seen using the classic tileset.

This game's overworld looks amazing! I can't wait to play on this map. Very nice job, man icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks. I feel like this project is really coming along. Once the overworld is done, I can work in more interior stuff.

QUOTE(ABH15 @ May 11 2012, 03:53 PM) View Post

Faron woods was removed to make way for the huge Hyrule interstate that they are building. Instead of forest, there will be sixteen lanes on concrete and asphalt icon_biggrin.gif No just kidding, I haven't finished it yet

QUOTE(Russ @ May 11 2012, 06:14 PM) View Post

If I told you I wasn't drooling over that map, I'd be lying. That really is amazing work Anthus. I can't wait to get to play it all.
Technically, "No" is negative. icon_razz.gif As for why it's gone, he hasn't actually finished it yet. It's a work in progress.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Marco @ May 11 2012, 09:43 PM) View Post

It's a start.

I like the colors and textures you've added to classic. I also really like what you've done with the mountains.

QUOTE(Shane @ May 11 2012, 09:44 PM) View Post

Note to self,

Beware of Anthus's and Marco's awesome maps.

~ Shane

Any feedback on my map? icon_frown.gif

I posted something about it a few posts up icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Marco @ May 11 2012, 09:49 PM) View Post

Anthus. You and I, have a talent for Classic. You really nailed the colors contrast and blend. The towns designs are superb, this truly has a flawless fantasy Zelda feel.

I agree. I'm glad people like the way the towns look, cause honestly, I didn't really like it. They were built using those tiles with the intent of them being placeholders till I ripped better house tiles, but I have a bad habit of getting lazy, and not changing place holder graphics, so I'm thankful people like it so far lol.

Edited by Anthus, 12 May 2012 - 01:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users