Photo

A blast from the past (kid who attempted to troll this website)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

Hey there, not sure how much this community has changed or if the same people from about 6 years ago are still here...but if you are then this post is for you and possibly the memories of something slightly insignificant, or someone insignificant. I was the user who originally signed up under the name of "LinkFan64", think I used MANY other names such as "Rain/ThurriRain", "Bolero, Bolero5097" and a bunch of other random names at the time. I actually found interest in the software ZC and creating Zelda games. I would've been around 13 at the time (now 19), so I couldn't really get to grasps on the complex aspects of the program meaning I could never really create a great game or finish a project. Nevertheless, I used the IRC chat and posted in forums, I spoke to a few people and think I made a few friends. However, I think I was toxic, immature (can't really blame me I was quite young and thought the power of anonymity was great) and just too young to be a responsibility person within a website community and forum. I remember one moderator specifically, (maybe not a moderator), although I cannot remember their username. Someone I spoke to a fair bit during my time here on the chat, I feel the name "Russell" but not too sure, remember he/she telling me that they were a girl in real life but their gender was male on the website to prevent attention of being a female (not sure if it was a joke), they told me about 4chan (thanks for that btw) and basically told me how it is, I cannot be a brat on this website, or anywhere on the internet because no one was going to listen to me when I wanted to defend myself (a good example of when I was getting in trouble with admins and mods). It'd be cool to speak to that person again since so much time has passed by, I remember them telling me that I should stay off the website for about 2 years since my ban wasn't going to be changed anytime soon and any further accounts detected to be me would get banned and I should take a break from attempting to be a part of the community. Afterwards, I trolled a lot, making new accounts, shit posting (still doing it lol), pretending to be really smart and witty when I guess I looked so stupid. Such a random post I know, this whole part of my time on the internet in the past has just popped into my head and I thought I'd post saying one thing...

I'm sorry for being such a dick back then.

#2 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

I wasn't around during that time period, but your experience of acting immature and then growing beyond it is pretty common. It's always cool to see how people mature as they get older. Most of the time, at least. ;)

If you'd like to stick around and enjoy the forum, work on another project, then I'd be happy to see you around.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Rain

Yo, were you that Rain? The "White hat hacker, don't make fun of me or I'll hack you!" Rain? Man, do I feel like an idiot. I actually fell for it and tried to troll you back back then. That's like falling for the Navy Seal copypasta...

• LinkFan64_Reformed likes this

#4 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

Yo, were you that Rain? The "White hat hacker, don't make fun of me or I'll hack you!" Rain? Man, do I feel like an idiot. I actually fell for it and tried to troll you back back then. That's like falling for the Navy Seal copypasta...

Yes, I was a young kid who knew how to DDOS, pretty special right. Felt like the whole fucking Anonymous group back then LOL. I thought I was the God of Trolling. Embarrasing. 

I wasn't around during that time period, but your experience of acting immature and then growing beyond it is pretty common. It's always cool to see how people mature as they get older. Most of the time, at least. ;)

If you'd like to stick around and enjoy the forum, work on another project, then I'd be happy to see you around.

I think a lot of people around the age I was then would find comical value in thinking their a great troll and shit talking. As many people, I've grown up. I wouldn't mind sticking around, I'm not sure if my assumption is right but this website has a lot less traffic than what it used to have, not too sure. It's also had a change in interface and design (this change I think happened a while ago but I just remember the old purezc). I think many here all share one common interest: Zelda and that's enough to want to stay here. As the moderator told me "stay away for a few years, your reputation may get better then". I think it's been a long enough time. Although, I believe making games with ZC may not be in my interest, it's intuitive and well-designed but suits the purpose of creating games in the style of Zelda (not strictly limited to that style but I believe you would need some advanced understanding of the program to making anything that doesn't resemble a traditional 2D Zelda game). Personally for my 2D games I use Construct 2 and for 3D, currently learning C# to use within the Unity engine. 

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

Although, I believe making games with ZC may not be in my interest, it's intuitive and well-designed but suits the purpose of creating games in the style of Zelda (not strictly limited to that style but I believe you would need some advanced understanding of the program to making anything that doesn't resemble a traditional 2D Zelda game). Personally for my 2D games I use Construct 2 and for 3D, currently learning C# to use within the Unity engine. 

You mean using ZScript to make ZC behave as a different game entirely isn't a worthwhile use of your time and you're better off using a real game engine? Well darn, I've made some poor life decisions. :P

• Naru likes this

#6 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

You mean using ZScript to make ZC behave as a different game entirely isn't a worthwhile use of your time and you're better off using a real game engine? Well darn, I've made some poor life decisions. :P

No, not at all! If you understand the engine properly there's no reason to not use it. I imagine ZScript is a programming language specifically for the ZC engine? That may be the only downfall, having knowledge of a language that is strictly relative to one piece of software (if that is indeed the case). Also, learning everything in ZC is just going to make the next environment you use easier to learn in my opinion. ZC is a legitimate game engine, just a bit underground. Have you made any projects that are 100% not related to Zelda within ZC? If so, can you give me a link would love to see. 

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

No, not at all! If you understand the engine properly there's no reason to not use it. I imagine ZScript is a programming language specifically for the ZC engine? That may be the only downfall, having knowledge of a language that is strictly relative to one piece of software (if that is indeed the case). Also, learning everything in ZC is just going to make the next environment you use easier to learn in my opinion. ZC is a legitimate game engine, just a bit underground.

Yeah, ZScript is the language of ZC. It's good for adding extra features onto the base game, but some of us take it a little too far. Like here, where one of the ZC devs made Crashman's stage from MM2 in ZScript, physics and everything. I've probably gotten to the point where I could move on if I wanted to, I just haven't. There are actually some old school limitations about ZC that I rather like, such as the palette structure, maybe less so when it messes with transparency effects.

Have you made any projects that are 100% not related to Zelda within ZC? If so, can you give me a link would love to see.

Depends on what you mean by 100% not related. The furthest I've gone from Zelda in a finished quest was Forbidden Ascent, which was a collab project with Russ made for a one month quest contest. The gameplay isn't Zelda, the story isn't Zelda, but some of the graphics come from Zelda and some other assorted games due to my limited spriting capabilities. We're currently working on an update that should add some new content and fix some of the frustrating and stupid parts. In typical Moosh/Russ fashion, the update ends up taking way longer than the month it took to make the thing. :P

There's also this and this showcasing a couple of ways I've done goofy shit with ZC.

#8 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, ZScript is the language of ZC. It's good for adding extra features onto the base game, but some of us take it a little too far. Like here, where one of the ZC devs made Crashman's stage from MM2 in ZScript, physics and everything. I've probably gotten to the point where I could move on if I wanted to, I just haven't. There are actually some old school limitations about ZC that I rather like, such as the palette structure, maybe less so when it messes with transparency effects.

Depends on what you mean by 100% not related. The furthest I've gone from Zelda in a finished quest was Forbidden Ascent, which was a collab project with Russ made for a one month quest contest. The gameplay isn't Zelda, the story isn't Zelda, but some of the graphics come from Zelda and some other assorted games due to my limited spriting capabilities. We're currently working on an update that should add some new content and fix some of the frustrating and stupid parts. In typical Moosh/Russ fashion, the update ends up taking way longer than the month it took to make the thing. :P

There's also this and this showcasing a couple of ways I've done goofy shit with ZC.

First of all, the first link you gave me where you are fighting a boss battle and it's basically "how well can you dodge" just throws me back to "I wanna be the boshy". I'm impressed on how well you could dodge stuff, but as the designer I imagine you pretty much mastered it through testing. Looking through everything you've referenced to me, I don't see any reason for you to leave ZC for 2D games. I mean, from my interpretation you're doing this for fun which is another reason for not needing to leave to another engine, although you probably should just for fun, learning new stuff and whatnot. My ability to create graphics in games are awful, I mean I could sit down and rip everything off a spritersresource website and actually make a decent game (I remember making a 2D side scroller game where Link was playable and the first boss was Birdo from Mario). The main thing with creating games is just sitting there and working through the project. It takes so much commitment and whilst I'm in univeristy I always find myself never having the time, I think one of the major issues is I haven't died down from playing games, meaning instead of making them, I'd rather spend all my time on Dead by Daylight or something haha. I'd love to collaborate with someone who would like to make a game, always thought a group project is a challenge I need to tackle. 

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

I don't think I've seen you around before, but welcome back to the site! I guess we all have those kind of phases when we were younger. I remember when I used to spam quest reviews with 0 stars because I couldn't open them on ZQuest :P

But it's always nice to see older members come back and apologise for things they've done in the past. It really does show maturity, and that's always a good thing.

Edit: lol, I didn't intend this post to sound similar to Aevin's. Oops :P

#10 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

I don't think I've seen you around before, but welcome back to the site! I guess we all have those kind of phases when we were younger. I remember when I used to spam quest reviews with 0 stars because I couldn't open them on ZQuest :P

But it's always nice to see older members come back and apologise for things they've done in the past. It really does show maturity, and that's always a good thing.

Edit: lol, I didn't intend this post to sound similar to Aevin's. Oops :P

It sucks you may not have been there to see it, or just didn't notice me at the time. You'd probably get a little giggle from the memories of possibly the greatest troll on the internet. One thing I want to know is that the original creator of this website, I can't remember his name; didn't he retire from working on this site a long time ago? If so, has he ever came back or just posted saying hey?

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

It sucks you may not have been there to see it, or just didn't notice me at the time. You'd probably get a little giggle from the memories of possibly the greatest troll on the internet. One thing I want to know is that the original creator of this website, I can't remember his name; didn't he retire from working on this site a long time ago? If so, has he ever came back or just posted saying hey?

Now thinking about it, I might have actually seen you around back in 2009 or 2010. Does eddy23911 ring any bells? :P

Also regarding the original creator of this site, his name was WildBill. He sadly passed away in 2013 though, and since then LinkTheMaster took over the site.

#12 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

Now thinking about it, I might have actually seen you around back in 2009 or 2010. Does eddy23911 ring any bells? :P

Also regarding the original creator of this site, his name was WildBill. He sadly passed away in 2013 though, and since then LinkTheMaster took over the site.

Oh wow, he passed away? I remember the name WildBill as well. Also yes, eddy23911 rings a familiar bell. I think you were in the post of my Rain account claiming I was ub3r hacker. What happened to WildBill? :( 

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Your name seems familiar, however I joined here in 2011, so I dunno.

As for our internet personality. I used to go as another username in other Zelda sites around 15 years ago, and I wasn't very well liked. Now I didn't change my username for that reason, I just decided on a better username, and I like the one I'm using now. Anyways, unlike who I am now, my posts used to be often very dramatic and whiney. I was a very emotional teenager and even young adult who was prone to rubbing everybody the wrong way. I made more enemies than friends. I later went on a complete hiatus from internet forums altogether for many years. One day I decided to join this forum to promote and discuss Souls of Wisdom, and I've been here ever since. 

So I know the feeling of having a troubled internet past. Growing up helps.

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Oh wow, he passed away? I remember the name WildBill as well. Also yes, eddy23911 rings a familiar bell. I think you were in the post of my Rain account claiming I was ub3r hacker. What happened to WildBill? :(

Yeah, sadly he did. I don't exactly remember what happened though :/ There is a story about him here though, by his father.

And uber hacking huh? I might go back and find that post of mine lol.

#15 LinkFan64_Reformed

LinkFan64_Reformed

Game Developer

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, sadly he did. I don't exactly remember what happened though :/ There is a story about him here though, by his father.

And uber hacking huh? I might go back and find that post of mine lol.

If you can find that original thread, please link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users