ad block

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

Which Ad Block site is the official software? I don't want to download a bogus one. I'd rather not download it at all, but there's a YouTube site I go to for news, but I cannot stand the remaining content and don't want to increase their revenue.

#2 Ben

Ben

formerly Bagel

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Ad blocking is good anyway because it can help reduce drive-by malware downloads. Look up uBlock Origin; it has a lighter footprint than AdBlock or ABP and works better, besides also having script blocking capabilities.

• tim, thepsynergist and The Satellite like this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

I also suggest uBlock Origin. There was a point in time when AdBlock/ABP was notably better at collapsing/removing the giant blank squares where an ad used to be, but now I find the difference negligible at best.

uMatrix is also very good, but it's a little more technical, and can take some time and testing to configure up proper allowances for certain pages to load correctly. Still, I managed to figure it out surprisingly quick, which means that probably anybody could figure it out if they take a few minutes and do some trial and error testing on a bloated page (any news site should work).

• thepsynergist likes this

#4 Joey2216

Joey2216

inea

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

I use uBlock Origin 

#5 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

Composer/Remixer

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

uBlock Origin is definitely where it's at.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:49 AM

thanks

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Members

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

well, it blocks some but not all youtube ads

Edited by Cukeman, 23 April 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#8 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

well, it only blocks some not all youtube ads

Try also using AdBlocker Ultimate, or Adguard. Both of those allow you to right click on an ad, and it gives you the choice to block the element (which you may have to do a few times, sometimes sites will have 'covers' on an ad). Using those along with Ublock origin will probably be your best bet.

#9 Neptune

Neptune

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep!

• Forum Assistants

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

I do have to thank you for pointing out uBlock Origin in this thread. I have noticed over the past few months that AdBlock Plus has been becoming a very big resource hog, and I would restart the extension, and within 5-10 minutes, it was back to using about the same amount of RAM as it was prior to restarting it. uBlock works the same, except for better, and it doesn't take a huge bite out of my memory.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users