Mass recoloring

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

It's not available quite yet (should be soon, honest), but I thought I'd provide a brief introduction to 2.50.2's new mass recoloring tool. It's useful for fixing tiles that don't match your palette structure or making palette-swapped enemies.

recolor-1.png
(Yeah, it says ESP 2, and it looks fine in that. Just go with it.)

Select the tiles to be recolored and click "Recolor" or press Ctrl+R, and this window will pop up:
recolor-2.png

Each color in under "From" will be replaced with the corresponding color under "To." Drag and drop colors into "To" to create the desired mapping.
recolor-3.png

Click "OK," et voilà:
recolor-4.png

If you've got a lot of tiles to redo, you can press Ctrl+Shift+R to repeat the last recolor without bringing up the dialog again.

As you can see, this can be selectively applied to each CSet in 8-bit tiles, but there's also a separate 8-bit mode. This works a bit differently.
recolor-5.png
recolor-6.png

Drag and drop colors to both the "From" and "To" sets. Any colors not in "From" will be unchanged. You can do up to 16 at a time.
recolor-7.png

This mode only recolors 8-bit tiles; any 4-bit tiles selected will be unaffected.
  • ShadowTiger, 4matsy, bigjoe and 16 others like this

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hm. According to my calendar, Christmas is in about eleven weeks. This would have made for one whopper of a gift.

Then again, I'm Jewish, so what do I know.
  • Jared and Astromeow like this

#3 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

That's pretty amazing. Nice to see that new features and functionality aren't off of the table.

This is a bit off in the other direction but I have a question related to 8 bit colored enemies. Would it be possible to get them to pallete cycle as though they were CSet flashing when hit? As in, all the sprite pallete colors would cycle to the respective "other colors" in the sprite CSets, even if in 8 bit mode? I just think something like this needs to be looked at if usage of 8 bit is going to be encouraged.

#4 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

This tool is amazing! I am hoping, you should also address issue regarding mass-making combos from tiles.

http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=61137

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

This makes a great addition, very nice idea. Saves a lot of the dragging files into image editors and back into ZQuest. Should also make it a lot easier to create 'hybrid tilesets' from existing resources.

• Jared likes this

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:42 PM

Would it be possible to get them to pallete cycle as though they were CSet flashing when hit? As in, all the sprite pallete colors would cycle to the respective "other colors" in the sprite CSets, even if in 8 bit mode?

That would be pretty difficult with the current code, but I do intend to do that later on.

This tool is amazing! I am hoping, you should also address issue regarding mass-making combos from tiles.
http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=61137

Yeah, I'll do something about that. I can't even figure out how it's actually supposed to work. It looks like it expects to be used for animated combos, but it doesn't seem to work right for those, either.

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

You are a god.

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Welp, this is going to be amazing. I'm looking forward to using this!

#9 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, I'll do something about that. I can't even figure out how it's actually supposed to work. It looks like it expects to be used for animated combos, but it doesn't seem to work right for those, either.

The logical solution should be "one non-animated combo for each tile in selection" or something similar. This function is usually used when importing graphics like title screens.

#10 Flying Fish

Flying Fish

King of the Fish

• Members

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

This looks like it will save me a lot of time from the horrors of recoloring and pallette swaping to get it to look right in other csets.

I am very bad at GFX and editing them, so any tool that can provide me assistance with that is a plus in my books.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

I've been putting off 8-bit recolouring for a long while--over a year--and this will be an ideal solution. Thank you Saffith.

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

This would have been really, really nice for me to have about 5-6 years ago. :/ Still, is a pretty great thing to add; thanks for mucking through the palette stuff.

#13 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

i still don't get it

#14 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

Tried it out. I ripped a bridge I drew in Paint, ran it through the recolor tool, and while it wasn't perfect, it still saved me a ton of work over redrawing it by hand. It's pretty nice for putting together tiles with lots of detail.

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Saffith, do you think that you could share some details on how to use the 8-bit mode? I'm not having much luck, as it apparently doesn't work at all like 4-bit mode?

Also, it would be nice to have some kind of outline around colours already used in a tile, or selected bank of tiles, especially in that mode. Black, for example, can be coming from any Cset, and multiple swatches in that CSet. Drawing a flickering green rectangle around each colour that the tile uses, would help to identify which swatches I need to change, so it;s something to consider for the future.

It's a brilliant feature, but I'm still perplexed at how the 8-bit mode is intended to be used. I did figure out the 4-but mode easily, however, there is a bug: An undo action after changing any tile, or group of tiles, undoes all recolouring actions since last opening the tile editor.

Essentially, if you select eight tiles, and recolour them, then another eight, and recolour those, and then a third...and you need to undo the change to the third, you can, but in so doing, you also un-do the changes to the first, and second sets. This cascades to as many changes as you make, since opening the tile editor, so, after each change, in order to preserve it and be able to make an un-do action on the next, you need to close, and re-open the tile editor.

This is not true for normal (hand) recolouring, or other tile changes, so it works quite differently from any other tile editor un-do action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users