Beside Game Maker what are Steam buy recommendations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

What game making program(s) can I buy from Steam besides Game Maker that allows exporting to multiple platforms.

I prefer software that you can code
if variable = someone else's variable
and also can code in a game for people to be able to load external resources.

I look up stuff on google alot.

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

RPG Maker MV supports exporting to apk now, so that's cool.  I looked into it, since it codes in javascript now (used to be ruby), but I like VX Ace too much.

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

Not sure if any of the other big name development software have Steam versions.  Unreal Engine 4 is free for college students for a year I think.  Unity is free and uses C#.  BYOND is still around after all these years apparently, and uses its own language that's similar to Java/C++.  Game Maker uses its own programming language GML, that's similar to Java/C++, and can do external resources as well.  Multimedia Fusion I think is still around, but I'm not sure on its multiplatform capabilities.

Edited by Koh, 06 July 2017 - 05:11 AM.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

Multimedia Fusion is called Clickteam Fusion these days and has quite a few multiplat exporters (though you need to buy them all individually I think). It doesn't have traditional line-by-line coding though so probably not what the OP is looking for, but there's a Lua plugin (which I frequently use) that allows you to write scripts for any game functionality that's a bit clunky to "code" with the default event editor (although calling functions and handling returns within the event editor is a bit awkward in itself). EDIT: CF also allows for loading external resources but as far as I've been able to figure out if you want to load in an animation each frame has to be its own file (so spritesheets are a no-go). Not deal-breaking, but definitely a pain in the ass.

Speaking of Lua, LÖVE is an *awesome* framework you can use to make 2D games in Lua. It's free, open-source, and works on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android and iOS. Way more code-oriented than Clickteam Fusion or Game Maker or even Unity (you'll have to code your entities and animation controllers and whatnot from scratch) but as it says - it's free, open-source and multiplat. If you have prior knowledge in game programming it's a great framework (and Lua is a very forgiving language), but if you'd prefer something to handle all the nuts and bolts for you then Game Maker is _probably_ closest to what you want (which makes me wonder why you're looking for alternatives).

If you want to stray away from line-by-line coding and go for event-based coding like Clickteam Fusion there's also Construct 2 (which is free unless you want to release a game commercially) and the older, free, unsupported, Windows only "Construct Classic" (which isn't multiplat but I'll mention it anyway). The fatal flaw for me personally is that Construct 2 handles collisions with a vector mask which makes collision detection very sloppy and unreliable at low resolutions. Since I make low res "retro" games that demand pixel-perfect collisions Construct 2 is no good for me, but if you can get away without pixel-perfect collisions it's a solid framework too.

Edited by NoeL, 07 July 2017 - 12:07 AM.

• Anthus and Koh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users