Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:00 PM

*searches New Donk City for a "Hotel Mario"*

• Anthus likes this

#77 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:06 PM

Song may have cheesy lyrics, but who cares? The music was great and it was catchy and that makes me like it.

This is catchy as well but I don't think I have to formulate my argument at this point. :P

• Anthus likes this

#78 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:44 AM

It comes out in two days! I've been avoiding spoilers on youtube, and whatnot like crazy, unlike BotW. I want to go into this as blind as possible. That said, don't look this game up on YouTube, unless you want to get spoiled by thumbnails. I am really excited. I won't be getting it at launch sadly, but I should be getting it within about 6 weeks or so.

#79 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:54 AM

I haven't watched anything since E3 myself. I'm far less concerned about Mario spoilers than Zelda spoilers but I do want to see how this route takes me. I cannot wait for this game, dude.

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#80 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

It's official. It's out.

Anyone pick it up at midnight? If I didn't have to work in 8 hours, I would have, but I'm trying to be smart here.

#81 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

I'm just gonna pick it up tomorrow afternoon. If GameStop's out, I'll go to Wal-Mart. If they're out, I'll go to Target. If they're out, I'll go to Meijer. If they're out, I'll cry. Then buy it digitally. The crying is because RIP having the physical media. :cry:

#82 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

Having picked up Odyssey today, here's my initial thoughts on the game:

• The level design so far is very well done and thoroughly thought out as a whole.
  • The amount of freedom you have makes the game feel so fresh, with what so many Moons to find in wide open spaces. At this point, the objective is just a suggestion. It's like Super Mario 64, but more free and you are not kicked out of the level every time you collect a Moon.
  • The controls, mainly the joystick sensitivity, take getting used to. I find it hard to do the spin throw when every other time I try to do it I make the down throw. The Cap jump is also pretty challenging to get down-pat because of that and the camera controls.
  • My only complaint so far is that the T-Rex is very awkward to control and causes issues if you try to use it to navigate narrow passageways. So far, I haven't seen anything that requires doing so as T-Rex and I don't think there ever will be anything that's required doing so as T-Rex.

Edited by Orithan, 26 October 2017 - 11:46 PM.

#83 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:52 AM

Saw Projared's review of the game and it seems to be very similar to 64, at least in the freedom department. Definitely picking this up when i get a Switch.

#84 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

It very much is like the Super Mario 64 successor we've been waiting many, many years for, from the three worlds I've played of it so far. Granted, no hub world, and so far there's been a linear progression in terms of which worlds you get to go to, but the levels themselves carry almost that exact same open exploratory vibe, with updated moves and design to accommodate them. It's... wonderful, so far. Gorgeous visuals, lots of color, controls are quite responsive, it's oozing with charm as a Mario game should... Also the capture mechanic is great. The only thing controls-wise that took me a little while to get used to is the dive ability (because now it's ZL+Y), but I picked up on it quick and can now do that sexy midair hat-throw-dive-jump-bounce-off-throw-hat-again-dive-once-more maneuver.

... need a shorter name for that.

• David likes this

#85 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

What do you mean no hub world? How do you choose what world to play in, then? From a menu list?

#86 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

It looks like it might be another Galaxy 2 situation, where you have a ship but manually select your level.

Turns out I was right, except your ship is no longer a hub world and is just sitting in each world you go to. You use it to choose worlds from a level select screen.

#87 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:56 AM

So it looks like Motion Controls are required to perform every action in the game. If you turn off Motion controls there are various actions you can't perform, even though there are unused buttons on the gamepad (why is Nintendo not using all the buttons!? Why half-ass the option to forgo motion controls? What is the point in that feature if it prevents you from 100%'ing the game?).

https://www.polygon....motion-controls

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 28 October 2017 - 03:57 AM.

• Shane likes this

#88 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

What kind of name is Cappy, lol.  That's like naming your dog Puppy or your cat Kitty.  So original.

But the game itself looks pretty fun.  Not challenging at all, but fun to find all the secrets and stuff.

Edited by Koh, 28 October 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#89 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

But the game itself looks pretty fun.  Not challenging at all, but fun to find all the secrets and stuff.

Well. It has some hard stuff. The way lives are handled it totally different, and it makes the game feel more challenging in some spots.

I bought it. I got the red joycon Switch bundle, but sadly, it came with a digital copy. I'm loving it so far, and can't possibly post any cohesive thoughts at this time. The motion controls ar enot very intrusive, at least not yet. You really just subtly shake the controller (either one) not unlike Galaxy.

#90 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

So it looks like Motion Controls are required to perform every action in the game. If you turn off Motion controls there are various actions you can't perform, even though there are unused buttons on the gamepad (why is Nintendo not using all the buttons!? Why half-ass the option to forgo motion controls? What is the point in that feature if it prevents you from 100%'ing the game?).

https://www.polygon....motion-controls

You can't turn off motion controls, that's only for camera controls. The only actions that require motion controls are certain throw maneuvers with the hat and nothing else; far as I can tell the game is completely possible without them. And the spin throw can be done by spinning the control stick in circles before throwing the hat. While the up/down hat toss moves could be useful, so far I've never once required them. ... or even used them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users