774 replies to this topic

#751 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

I saw Your Name in the theater, I was impressed

major spoiler

Edited by Cukeman, 25 May 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#752 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

Attack on Titan season two complete, My Hero Academia season two halfway done.

As I stated before, half the length or no, season two of Attack on Titan is much better than the first. Revelations, character development, much faster pace... the first season was a horrible crawl. There was one episode here that basically amounted to nothing but talking and no action, but otherwise the season was really solid and better than the first.

My Hero Academia's first half, meanwhile, was focused on a school tournament. Which honestly wasn't bad, there were some cool and fun moments as well as plenty of character development. It's not as good as the first season, sure, but I mean, that had one of the best fights of all time, so it was already going to be hard to top. Looking forward to the rest of this season.

Now I'm down to a single show until the summer season kicks off. Not much interesting, I was only going to watch a single show until a couple friends decided there was another show they were interested in. That show is... something Touken Ranbu. Which is based off some collectible card game I think, and there was already a slice-of-life series based on it, but this one is more of an action series. Some romanticized Japanese history thing if I recall right. Could be interesting I guess.

The other one I'm looking forward to is called Made in Abyss. It has an interesting premise, let me just quote it:

The "Abyss" is the last unexplored place in the world. Strange and wonderful creatures roam within, and it is full of precious relics that present humans can't recreate. Those that dare to explore the depths are known as "Cave Raiders." An orphan girl named Rico lives on the rim. Her dream is to become a Cave Raider like her mother and solve the mysteries of the cave system. One day, Rico starts exploring the caves and discovers a robot who resembles a human boy.

Here's the trailer. The art style is gorgeous and it gives me Xenoblade vibes in a way, so I'm all down for that. 

Oh yeah, and there's also that NGNL movie that comes out sometime in July. 

#753 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

Not long ago I finished watching seirei no moribito. Easily one of my favorites. I can recommend it if you like Avatar. Though it is more serious with a lot less comedy, action or side-stories.

#754 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

Summer season's beginning. There's a show coming in a couple weeks that didn't catch my eye at first, but now it has. The Reflection. At first, I passed on it when I saw the premise because "suddenly superheroes everywhere" sounded like My Hero Academia, but now I look again, it seems to be going in a different direction with that. The only reason I looked again though is because... well, it comes from the mind of Stan Lee. So hell yes, I want to watch it.

#755 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Just finished Tsugumomo today....will be starting on Grimoire of Zero tomorrow.

Current animes I'm watching now:

Working!! Season 3

Rozen Maiden Season 1

School Rumble Season 1

Will probably watch Madoka Movie #1 later too.

#756 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:50 AM

Okay so apparently Trigger's been working on a new project for a while, but with no release date yet. And it's by the key staff behind Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. Said to be carrying the same tone as those shows. Called "Promare." Needless to say I'm excited. Source.

#757 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Might as well give first impressions of the summer shows that just started, minus The Reflection (which I mentioned a couple posts up) which debuts in a couple weeks.

Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu - Based on a collectible card game called simply "Touken Ranbu"... about personified legendary Japanese weapons I think? This is actually the second anime series based on this property, but the first one was more slice-of-life I believe, and this one is more of an action show. It seems neat enough, the characters are apparently tasked with preserving history by defending against some time-traveling demon army. One of my friends was big into the first series and a couple of others took interest in the new one, so decided might as well give it a shot.

Vatican Miracle Examiner - The premise of this one sounded interesting enough. There's apparently a secret organization of the Catholic Church that go around to examine and determine the authenticity of purported miracles. It sounded like it had some good humor potential but it's actually a completely serious show. And weird. I'm not entirely sure I know what's going on in the first episode but maybe that's the point. I'll have to give it a few episodes to see how I really feel.

Made in Abyss - I'm one episode in and I love this show already. It has amazing art style and animation, a very interesting world and setup, fun and adorable characters, and it's all very intriguing. Hopefully it stays the course and doesn't disappoint me but it's very much JRPG-ish in a good way. Not sure when the last time I fell in love with an anime this quickly was.

Just waiting on The Reflection. And, of course, still watching My Hero Academia.

#758 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Might as well give first impressions of the summer shows that just started, minus The Reflection (which I mentioned a couple posts up) which debuts in a couple weeks.

Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu - Based on a collectible card game called simply "Touken Ranbu"... about personified legendary Japanese weapons I think? This is actually the second anime series based on this property, but the first one was more slice-of-life I believe, and this one is more of an action show. It seems neat enough, the characters are apparently tasked with preserving history by defending against some time-traveling demon army. One of my friends was big into the first series and a couple of others took interest in the new one, so decided might as well give it a shot.

Vatican Miracle Examiner - The premise of this one sounded interesting enough. There's apparently a secret organization of the Catholic Church that go around to examine and determine the authenticity of purported miracles. It sounded like it had some good humor potential but it's actually a completely serious show. And weird. I'm not entirely sure I know what's going on in the first episode but maybe that's the point. I'll have to give it a few episodes to see how I really feel.

Made in Abyss - I'm one episode in and I love this show already. It has amazing art style and animation, a very interesting world and setup, fun and adorable characters, and it's all very intriguing. Hopefully it stays the course and doesn't disappoint me but it's very much JRPG-ish in a good way. Not sure when the last time I fell in love with an anime this quickly was.

Just waiting on The Reflection. And, of course, still watching My Hero Academia.

Made in Abyss,  i'm reading the manga and..its a bit cruel even if the 2 main charactes are adorable and nice, but many Anime are really different from they Manga, i will look it for see if is different.

#759 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:04 AM

Summer season's beginning. There's a show coming in a couple weeks that didn't catch my eye at first, but now it has. The Reflection. At first, I passed on it when I saw the premise because "suddenly superheroes everywhere" sounded like My Hero Academia, but now I look again, it seems to be going in a different direction with that. The only reason I looked again though is because... well, it comes from the mind of Stan Lee. So hell yes, I want to watch it.

It's time for first impressions! And by that I mean through episode three, because I forgot the show aired until a few days ago and saw the first two episodes then the third today. Anyway, I like this so far. It's a stylized anime and resembles 80s comic books, very unique look and a nice visual change of pace from the common styles of anime. The story is so far not fully fleshed out, with just the basic details handed out (i.e. what the cause of the sudden emergence of powers was), but our villains and motives remain elusive for the time being. There's a part of the third that's a bit over the top in a weird way, but I mean, that's comic books for you, I suppose? Anyway...

Let's talk about further impressions of the other shows I picked up this season, including one I hadn't mentioned yet!

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu - Because apparently I did the wrong syntax last time. And I'm honestly getting bored by this show. The characters aren't interesting, they're archetypes. The action is cool, but the plot is generic. There was an attempt at drama in the last two episodes that... kinda fell flat. I honestly might end up dropping this, but if it's a 12-episode show (I'm actually not sure how long it's meant to run for), it seems too late to drop it halfway through, so I might just tough it out.

Vatican Miracle Examiner - While it remained weird, it too was seemingly generic... up until the fourth episode. That had a twist ending that was so utterly ridiculous it made it watchable. I didn't say it was good, but it came completely out of left field and I laughed at how ludicrous it was. Here I thought I'd be laughing with the show, not at the show. But the most-recent episode was actually (mostly) interesting enough, despite being a backstory episode, and I may stick with this one; I was considering dropping it until the eccentric escalation.

Made in Abyss - I FUCKING LOVE THIS SHOW. ... ahem, excuse me. But seriously, it should be criminal for a show to have animation this good. It is possibly the most gorgeous anime I've seen, and it's just so good at building an interesting setting and world that I'm completely absorbed by it. There's a handful of eyebrow-raising moments that are a bit over the line, but they're easily overlooked in favor of the good this show pulls off. Seriously, this has potential to be anime of the year. I've started reading the manga as well... but only up to where the anime has gotten to. Once this season's over... I'm gonna binge the rest of the manga, or at least to where it's currently-released, since it's not yet finished.

Mahoujin Guru Guru - This is the other one I picked up. It's apparently a 90s series that's a fond parody of JRPGs, and this is actually a reboot anime series; there was an older anime adaptation as well. I picked it up because I was charmed by its style and colors, and it looked cute. So far, it is cute. And wild. And insane. And over-the-top. And hilarious. It fills a niche none of the other shows I'm currently watching do, and I appreciate that.

... I'm watching too many shows again help.

#760 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:12 AM

I dropped Touken Ranbu.

It was too boring and there was zero reason for me to get invested. Maybe it would be better if I was more versed in Japanese history? Or played the game it was based on? Or both? But the characters are completely flat and just there to fill roles, and there's no real plot hook other than "oh no, demon bad guy things are trying to change history for some reason." I actually quit three minutes into the latest episode; I'd been putting it off and when I finally tried watching it, I finally realized that I just don't want to watch it anymore. So why bother? It certainly lightens the anime load a bit at least.

I'm also certain it was more made to appeal to fangirls anyway, so in that regard it was definitely not my thing as well.

• Naru likes this

#761 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

lately i see some old animes of robots like Getter Robot,Mazinger,Daitarn 3.... and many other of this genre, of course the almost part suffer the oldness but some have stories that are still actual.

There a lot of violence and sometime i doubt that the "good guys" are alright, few seem more dangerous of the invaders.

#762 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

I'm watching the "Jojo'z Bizarre Adventure" series, apparently.  I just finished watching the one in Japan with the "Stand" superpowers.  Now I'm watching the one with the vampires and the Pillar Men.  Fun stuff.  Those Pillar Men are seriously overpowered. :freak:

#763 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

I just discovered the formula to making good shows: Make sure its title is only three words and its acronym begins with M and ends with A. My Hero Academia and Made in Abyss are great shows. Their acronyms are MHA and MiA. Coincidence?!?!?!

... considering MHA's actual original title is "Boku no Hero Academia," yes.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#764 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Alright, all my shows are over, let's get to the quick review process.

Made in Abyss - Anime of the year. Start to finish, it was fantastic. Well, there was one episode that was arbitrarily extended, adapting a mere chapter (maybe less, I don't remember for sure) into an entire episode with added footage. A whole lot of nothing happened there. But in the rest? Character development, world building, intrigue, gorgeous art, everything about this package was fantastic. Yeah, there's some... questionable moments, but they're buried beneath the sheer artistry of the writing and emotions involved. I loved it so much I went to read the rest of the manga immediately, but now it's on hiatus with not nearly enough material for a second season yet... I fear I'll be waiting a long time for another adaptation but it'll be worth the wait. Amazing show. One of my new favorites.

My Hero Academia - Not as well-paced as the first season, but still great nonetheless. The tournament arc might've went on a bit long, and the "final exams" arc was a lot of me tapping my foot waiting for a particular final exam I cared about more than the others. But it was as usual a very entertaining show with great character development and growth, awesome music, and thankfully a third season's already confirmed. The foreshadowing of things to come is intriguing as well and I can't wait for more. There is a part of me tempted to read this manga too, but...

The Reflection - I liked how this one started kind of "slow" in the sense that, instead of throw everything at you at once, it tried to build up the mystery and story slowly. It made me want to keep watching and see what the story turned out to be... but the payoff was a bit odd. I'm not sure I followed the climax properly. The character development for a couple characters seemed a bit off as well. It was a fun show that was (usually) nice to look at in a nostalgic sense, but then it cliffhanger'd me. I can't say I'd give it a solid recommendation to be honest. If there's a season two... well, I'll think about whether or not I want to watch it.

Vatican Miracle Examiner - This show was just complete shenanigans. By the end, I was unsure whether it was entertaining for the right or wrong reasons. I'm still not sure. It was ridiculous, it was crazy, and... I actually did care about the characters a bit. Honestly I recommend this. It's great if you need something off the wall. Now, it's not "off the wall" in the constantly crazy hyperactive atmosphere and movement sense, just more in how the plots work. It's also got pretty good music; I highly enjoy the intro song. Like I said, I recommend it.

#765 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Finished Flying Witch today. Clearly one of my new favorites. Also started serial experiment lain and like it a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users