Automatic MIDI Inverter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

I was messing around on YouTube and found a set of videos with a "#Midiflip" hashtag. The idea was to take the first note of a song, and vertically invert every note that comes afterwards until you had a completely different sounding tune. I remember trying this idea a long time ago, and it was a huge pain in the neck to manually adjust every note. However, since it's apparently getting to be a rather popular idea now, I took a look for an online tool that would do it automatically. I found this:

https://midi-inverter.herokuapp.com/

This one's a bit different. It analyzes all of the notes in the song to find the pitch for the entire thing, then vertically flips that instead of using the first note as the flipping point. (There are links on the site to alternatives in case you want a different method) I don't really feel like wrestling with MediaFire to give you guys some examples, but I just spend quite a bit of time just submitting MIDI files to listen to the outcomes, and they usually sound pretty good. My favorite so far is taking the original Hollow Bastion theme from Kingdom Hearts, running it through this, then swapping the instruments around in Anvil Studio afterwards to get a rather pleasant tune that could make excellent town music.

I figure since anybody making a quest probably has a handful of MIDI files on-hand anyways, they could probably run them through this to get some more unique music for their projects, especially if they're willing to also swap the instruments around afterwards in something like Anvil Studio. A couple minutes, and you get some pretty neat tracks that aren't quite as recognizable as they were before.

EDIT: Okay, I lied. I uploaded the Hollow Bastion tune I mentioned. https://www.mediafir...eva7buyn294lkyh Give it a listen and tell me what you think.

Edited by kurt91, 15 March 2017 - 12:47 AM.

• thepsynergist, Avaro and strike like this

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:48 AM

It's fine, I didn't plan on sleeping tonight anyway.

• ShadowTiger and Magi_Hero like this

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

Heh.  This is a fun topic.

A long, long time ago, I had an inverted Ocarina of Time Lost Woods theme.  The song was so interesting to hear.  It was legitimately good. :eek:  I hope I still have it on my hard drive.  I should check.  It's been like, almost fifteen years or something.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

This is great. Many outcomes are really nice sounding. Really liking it, so thanks! My only problem is that many midis dont use track 10 for drums, but oh well.

Edited by Avataro, 15 March 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#5 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

This is great. Many outcomes are really nice sounding. Really liking it, so thanks! My only problem is that many midis dont use track 10 for drums, but oh well.

Thankfully Anvil Studio or FL Studio can swap midi channels fairly easily.

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

I'm reminded of playing LPs backwards, to find 'hidden messages" in the lyrics.

#7 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

https://www.dropbox....ry_MP3.mp3?dl=0

Try to guess what song I inverted!

#8 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

No idea. My little brother keeps claiming it's something from Undertale. What is it?

#9 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

It's Let Me Know The Truth from Final Fantasy 3 inverted with Secret of Mana instruments.

#10 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

Okay, that's what threw me off. I have played nearly all of the Final Fantasy games, but when I got to 3, I played the DS remake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users