#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy

Wonder-Boy-Title.gif

Genre: Platformer

Released on the Sega Master System in 1987.

Developed and published by Sega.

Description:

Wonder Boy is a 1987 platformer developed and published by Sega for the Sega Master System. Originally an arcade game developed by Escape, both this game and Hudson's Adventure Island (released in September 1986) share almost identical gameplay to it's arcade older brother. Even though this game was released a few months to a year after Hudson's Adventure Island, this game is more true to the original Wonder Boy that was released on Arcades in April 1986. Don't be confused by this game's release date, Wonder Boy is the game that pioneered the successful Adventure Island series as we know it today. 

I chose to stream this game because this is the first game I remember ever playing from my childhood. I was more of a Sega child than a Nintendo child because it was the only console I had back then. So I never really got the opportunity to play many Nintendo games in my youth. Therefore the game that feels most nostalgic to my very first days of video games is Wonder Boy. I absolutely adore this game and it's amazing to me that it's still fun today as it was for me back then. 

Join Tom-Tom as he adventures through many Areas (or worlds) in his quest to save his girlfriend Tanya from the villainous Dark King (Later named Drancon in future installments).

Stream & LP Information:

This stream was completed in a single night, so there won't be anymore streams of this game unless I decide to unlock the final hidden optional world that I missed during my first playthrough. Lets Plays will be shared here every few days. 

----------

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (01 - Area 1)

WB_01_zpsixc9rokz.png

(10:40)

"Those demons, always eatin' your food." - LejesR @ 8:23

"Oh, it's a doll. I thought you just snatched a woman out of the tree." - LejesR @ 9:14

Tanya has been kidnapped by the Dark King and it is up to a boy named Tom-Tom to save the day.

Credit
byWizards @ deviantart.com for title image.

Did you like this video? Or did you hate it? Please share your thoughts down below! Discussion is highly encouraged as it keeps me closer to my fans and improves the overall quality of this series!

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 24 December 2016 - 04:23 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (02 - Area 2)

WB_02_zpssdggv5so.png

(13:28)

4:30 The Miracle of Life...

LejesR: Did you just break an egg and get a mushroom out of it? (5:05)
LejesR: I don't think that's how mushrooms work. (5:41)

The Dark King lost his first battle, but this war is long from over. Tom-Tom explores Area 2 to get his revenge against Drancon.

Credit

Did you like this video? Or did you hate it? Please share your thoughts down below! Discussion is highly encouraged as it keeps me closer to my fans and improves the overall quality of this series!

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 24 December 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#3 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

yessss... mushroom born from eggs !  ​...the miracle of life... :confused:

Anyway, nice play, i always loved this game and  will be glad to look the rest.

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (03 - Area 3)

WB_03_zps9crnbsf7.png

(11:06)

Tom-Tom explores Area 3 to once again challenge The Dark King and find his girlfriend Tanya. 

Credit

#5 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:31 PM

when you are up on the clouds...the second item... is better of the 3°....

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (04 - Area 4)

WB_04_zpslmufhdkd.png

(14:05)

LejesR: Those volcanoes must be miles away, but they're still flinging rocks at you. (2:22)
LejesR: Those things must be going 800 miles per hour. (2:31)

"Oh wow a desert. I thought this game was going to be beach/cave/forest the entire way through." - LejesR @ 7:29

Tom-Tom explores Area 4 in his quest to save his girlfriend Tanya from The Dark King. 

Credit

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:09 AM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (05 - Area 05)

WB_05_zpsgxbpz6ze.png

(14:06)

LejesR: It's not that bad right now. (5:14)
LejesR: But if this was playing on loop in hell, I wouldn't be THAT surprised. (5:28)

Tom-Tom continues his quest to save his girlfriend Tanya. The Dark King hides behind many masks, but sooner or later, Tom-Tom will reveal his true identity and defeat him. 

Credit

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (06 - Area 6)

WB_06_zpsdkevpbsk.png

(9:19)

The journey to save Tanya continues!

Credit

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (07 - Area 7)

WB_07_zpsoqgjlokg.png

(9:22)

"Agh!! Noo!!! NOO!!! Why do I wanna skateboard on ice?!?! Urh.. Okay... This is not!!! uhkhkh.. Normal!!! Skateboarding on ice!!!" - NJF @ 3:43

"Like skateboard hatches out of an egg? What?" - Moosh64 @ 6:00

The adventure to save Tanya continues!

Credit

when you are up on the clouds...the second item... is better of the 3°....

second item?

#10 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

i was talking of the Area 3, you take the 3° item and warp to "2", whit the second you will warp more far.

It happend between 3:00 and 3:20.

For what i remember, is like this for area 1,2,3 and 4  

#11 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (08 - Area 8 part 1)

WB_08_zpsjrtvdmg0.png

(9:17)

Tom-Tom is getting closer to the end of his adventure, exploring new terrain like cliff sides and even darker forests than before. 

Credit

#12 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

NJF Plays Wonder Boy (09 - Area 8 part 2)

WB_09_zpsvnm3hyll.png

(10:29)

Tom-Tom returns to the clouds for his toughest challenge yet. 

Credit

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

(Note: Due to recent rule changes, video updates will no longer be shared in this topic. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more.)

#14 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

Reflecting on this Series:

We are coming close to the end of the Wonder Boy Lets Play series! I'd like to take a moment to reflect on what I feel were the best parts of the series as a whole. Though there isn't much of an overall description I can add to each and every video, it was the overall experience of the Lets Play itself that was most enjoyable. This was one of my most memorable games as a child, and I was glad to revisit this.

The Confusion Between Wonder Boy and Adventure Island:

There was a small misconception I made during the Lets Play that this particular game was released before Adventure Island. This information is actually false as this game was released after Adventure Island that was released on the NES just a few months before. However, both games still were ported from the arcade version of Wonder Boy and as such Wonder Boy as a whole is generally the father of Adventure Island.

The Level Design:

One thing I've made comments on a few times during this Lets Play was the impressive and quirky level design. This is surprisingly a very well thought out platformer, and because of this, I still enjoyed this game as much now as I did when I was very young and the many times I revisited this game as I grew older. But now that my own taste in gaming is kinda more "refined", I can gladly say that I'm still impressed with how this game is still structured, and you can see that during my Lets Play as I did not get bored or disappointed at any given moment. This is an impressive feat for its time.

The Music:

Some funny comments was made about the catchy, but very repetitive music. Lejes is right that the music in this game is probably playing on autoloop in hell. The music in this game I believe is much more favorable than Adventure Island and even the arcade version of Wonder Boy. I just wish there was more variety.

The Trolling:

Though this game has good level design, the design is sometimes a bit mean and often funny at times. Not once did I feel the design was stupid or unfair, but there was some tricky spots where I felt like giving the developers the middle finger for their obvious trolling nature which of course back in that day wasn't considered as trolling.  

My Favorite Moments so Far:

Generally the level design cannot be more emphasized. This game has a remarkable way of throwing the same repetitive levels at you with the same repetitive music, but somehow still be fun and engaging! And just when you think the game is becoming a bit too repetitive, they just randomly throw a new and unique stage at you out of the blue. These unique stages that appear randomly throughout the game usually adds to the experience. Like the volcano stage, the desert stage, and the Vienna Sausages mountain stage. 

What About You?:

What was your favorite moments during this Lets Play series? Are there anything you particularly liked or disliked about this Lets Play Series? What would you like to see in future series? Should I play more platforming games like Wonder Boy? Please leave your comments down below!

#15 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

Just like you, i like levels that are a bit different to the other, the moment i liked the most ? maybe when you was left whitout weapon and pass the level anyway.

I never play to any game of the Adventure Island, is almost unknow in my country, but i played whit this game and other 3  games of the saga of Wondeboy.

Due incorrect numeration of the games released outside of japan  ( just like FF VI that was released as FFIII ) i'm not sure of the title of the games i know are the same in your country :  

Wonderboy 3, very similar to the first, but is more a  game where  you must shot to all foes, you may do a play whit 2 players, a boy and a girl.

Wonderboy in Monster World, an action RPG, i think you can do a nice play whit this game, the hero is a blue-haired boy. 

Wonderboy V, another action  RPG, it have a green-haired girl -  maybe this is the better of the series, but is really hard and there a puzzles in the pyramid that may be too hard to pass  if you play the jap vesion ( unless you know how read ideograms... )

try to give a shot to one of them!

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 19 December 2016 - 05:32 PM.

• TheLegend_njf likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users