Rules Changes and Topic Steering Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Hey everyone. We're introducing a semi-big change into the rules.

In further efforts to relax the environment while getting members to communicate with each other more, we've decided to flat out replace the "Respect the Staff" rule with this new rule that has a similar purpose:

5. The staff handles punishments.

Do not suggest, recommend, or demand punishments (especially bans) for members that you feel are breaking the PureZC rules. The staff decides on such punishments since that is part of what they were hired to do.

We also frown upon people using the staff as a threat with statements such as "you better stop or I'll report you to the staff!" or "I reported this! Have fun getting smacked by the staff!" If there is a problem and you feel the staff might need to step in, just go ahead and report it. There is no need to antagonize members with staff threats.

If you submit a report, keep in mind that the issue has been handed over to the staff. Reports do not give you clearance to join in on staff discussions on what to do with a member. If we're being slow on handling your report after a day or so and haven't contacted you, you can ask about the status of the report one time. Please do not continually pester the staff about a single report unless you have additional details you need to give us.

You may notice that we replaced the broad, subjective term "rent-a-modding" with more precise language.

Because of this change in the rules, we're also encouraging a change in how members can steer topics.

Topic Steering Etiquette

In a departure from previous sets of rules, we're allowing a bit of wiggle room on what was formerly called "rent-a-modding." If you feel something is off in a topic, you are free to bring it up so long as your post follows all of the existing PureZC rules (especially the harassment rule) and you are polite about it.

For example, suppose we have a topic about cheese that has somehow evolved into a heated debate on supermarket safety inspections. If you feel this tangent is detracting from the cheesy goodness of the original topic, you are welcome to redirect the topic's course or ask the descendent safety discussion be moved elsewhere. Something like "Hey. Maybe you all should take that supermarket debate somewhere else so we can get back to talking about cheese?" would do nicely.

This rule change is an ongoing effort to encourage open communication among members. If a member is uncomfortable with something and their concern is phrased more tactfully than "you're stupid; get off my lawn," then they should be allowed to express it. Of course, this isn't an excuse to maliciously pick apart someone's posting behavior just because you personally don't like it. The harassment rule is still in full effect. If the only reason you are barging into a topic is just to ruin someone's day, you should reconsider posting.

If you have any questions about this stuff, feel free to ask.  :)

• Dawnlight and Haylee like this

#2 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

This community is pretty sweet really, never seen such as one ever! do we really need all these rule changes? o.o
What am i missing? XD

BUT I guess you got to do what you got to do.

Thanks mods and admins who put their time into the community to make it a better place!
Even tho i am still here ;)

btw,,,

Spoiler

Edited by LTTP, 20 January 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#3 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I feel silly for asking this... but um, what exactly do you mean by topic steering?

#4 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Basically, members can "steer" conversations back to the original topic without it being considered any kind of offense. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get back to the original topic, so we don't want people to be discouraged from doing so, and the way the rules were written deterred from that.

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

It's mainly a loosening up of the rent-a-mod rule, which would often be an issue when it comes to the direction topics were going.  Bascially, throughout our history, what is considered rent-a-modding would create two main scenarios:

1. Someone rent-a-mods but is friendly and polite.  Their intentions are in the right place, trying to simply be helpful, but not act like you're in a position of authority.  We feel this sort of thing is okay.  Having a rent-a-mod rule, however, would say that this sort of thing is also against the rules.

2. Someone rent-a-mods but does so in ways that we would only want our moderators to act, or worse, in ways that we wouldn't even want our own moderators to act.  Maybe they were being rude about it, or they were acting like they are the boss.  The main intent behind a rent-a-mod rule was to address this sort of situation, to prevent problems that otherwise would likely not occur if handled by moderators.

Ideally, you want to prevent #2, but not bar #1.  I think the way our rules are set up currently allows for this to be properly rectified, with the new changes along with what is still there.  A lot of it is also covered by the harassment rule (a conglomeration of what was once upon a time flaming, trolling, bigotry, etc.), since the worst of the rent-a-modding would break that sort of rule anyway.

So in regards to topic steering, it's okay for a member to say that you want the topic to get back to what it was originally about, or to go a particular way in general, which in and of itself should not be considered off topic, distracting, lacking substance, buzzkilling, and certainly not rent-a-modding.  They have a right to at least say it, and thus wouldn't be in any trouble with the staff for doing so, just like going somewhat off topic (mainly going off on tangents) doesn't either anymore.  More freedom to say more things, as long as other existing rules are being followed in the process of course.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

I think Zecora just read the headline of that new rule "Topic Steering Etiquette" without reading further. :P
The rule is pretty self-explanatory, so there's no need to re-explain it all :)
I like this new rule. There was in fact a case where I wanted to redirect one of my threads back to it's main topic, but then I realised that would be rent-a-modding, so I refrained from doing it..
So, yeah. I like it. :)

Edited by Avataro, 20 January 2014 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users