Photo

25 Years of A Link to the Past

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

... technically happened November 21st of last year. In Japan. And won't happen in Europe until September 24th. But today, April 13th, in North America, is the celebration day. I mean I celebrated back in November with a casual playthrough and a couple of Randomizers, but I didn't make a topic. Why didn't I? I find myself kicking myself for it because this is a forum full of Zelda enthusiasts, and this is one of the most important games in the series.

A Link to the Past, or "Triforce of the Gods" in Japan, was the first and only canon Zelda title released for the Super Nintendo, and the first to truly solidify the series' identity, taking elements from the prior two Zelda games and forging forward from there. It took the concept of towns and magic items from Zelda 2 and added them to the overhead style of Zelda 1, and then fleshed out the world and lore more. Things had more of a set progression order this time, but the world was for the most part open to you for the majority of the game, and, if you knew what you were doing, you could even do some out of order.

Finally, the Zelda series had found its winning formula, one that it would follow for more than twenty years. Perhaps to a fault, at times... Ironic, then, that the last game to still take pages from the formula would be A Link Between Worlds, the game that follows up on the one to give us the formula in the first place.

But I'm so thankful for this game, because it's a wonderful game and paved the way for the other wonderful games that many of us enjoy. Is it still my favorite Zelda game? It's tough to say, because I'm still basking in the afterglow of Breath of the Wild, but it's at the very least still one of my favorite games.

And it's me, of course I'm gonna gush about this game somewhere.

• Neppy, Anthus, Adem and 6 others like this

#2 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:38 PM

For us in Australia, the anniversary isn't for a while, but it's still nice to celebrate the game. It's my all-time favourite Zelda game, introducing many important aspects of the franchise including the tune of Zelda's Lullaby, various items, and the entire Triforce in one image. I'm thankful for A Link to the Past for everything it's given the series, and even if I was born too late to grow up with it, it's still the third Zelda game I've played, and its gameplay and graphics still hold up to this day.

Edited by Bombos, 13 April 2017 - 08:39 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Ah, A Link to the Past... one of my most favorite games of all time. It's almost hard to believe that it's 25 years old already. I've played through it several times now, and just recently played my first randomized run through. The first time of being drawn into the alternate world, the Dark World, my love for the series was solidified. Thanks go to Nintendo for this wonderful experience.
  • The Satellite likes this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

... introducing ... the entire Triforce in one image.

Hate to take this away from this great game but Zelda 2 had this first in the ending. :P

But yeah, it introduced many things Ocarina of Time likes to take credit for. Back off, game, back off!

• Neppy and Anthus like this

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

I find it interesting to see how the dual-world thing has been played with throughout the series, the first game emphasized having both an overworld and an underworld (at least in the manual). Then ALttP had the Light World vs. Dark World. Then LA had the dream world parallel to ALttP. Then OoT had the future vs the present. Then MM had the parallel dimension of OoT Hyrule (similar to what Link's Awakening did). And several games since then had dark worlds/other realms/time periods to play with.

Edited by Cukeman, 14 April 2017 - 12:14 AM.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:22 AM

Wait, did OoT 2D finally come out after 25 years? This Linked to the Passed game looks like someone took everything from OoT and poorly translated it to 2D. It's such a blatant rip off. Three gems to get the Master Sword from OoT, and wow, this game even rips off Twilight Princess with the sword being in the woods. They at least tried with the hookshot, that's cool, but the Mirror Shield is useless. These guys probably couldn't code arrows, so we got wands instead. This game looks like a GameMaker game, and why tf is Link's hair purple?

But this is basically my favorite game ever.

• Russ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users