What happened to Metroid, anyways?!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

I'm not surprised Metroid didn't get a Wii U installment. Zelda didn't get a true main installment either on the system that wasn't a spin-off or an update. Nintendo probably saw from the start that the Wii U was a sinking ship.

#17 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

I don't want every game to be Super Metroid per se, but I want them to at least focus on aspects of the series that feel, well, more Metroidy than the most recent games games have felt. I loved Fusion. I loved Zero Mission. Super Metroid is my fifth favorite SNES game of all time. But Prime 2+ lost a lot of what makes the games fun, or at a minimum, what a lot of fans expect from the series. When they decided to focus more on a real story through the course of the game over exploring an alien world, and being isolated, that's when the series took a hit. But, it didn't have to. Prime 1 handled this perfectly by allowing you to take in as much, or as little story, and back lore as you wanted with the ingenious scan system. Prime 2 could have been a great game, but recycling palette swapped worlds with bullshit limits is so 1980s. :P. I did like the levels better in Prime 2 though. Than scan system felt more fleshed out. The new beams, and return of the Screw Attack are great. I freaking wanted to love this game. But, all of this is compounded by padding, filler, lazy game design in the form of reusing maps, and adding an ammo system, and high-HP, tedious (not hard) enemies. Sorry, I just really hate Prime 2. :P

I really would like to see a game with shoot me Federation Force gyro controls (or options for those who don't like it), but with a more open, explorable, find stuff, kind of world. Like Prime 1. Like Fusion (which proves even cut-scenes are fine, but there's still a huge world to explore). Like the first game, and Zero Mission, and even AM2R, and obviously Super Metroid.

• Matthew likes this

#18 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

I agree with your sentiments on MP2 Anthus. I REALLY want to like the game, but I just can't bring myself to get out of Torvus Bog.

Also, fuck these things.

Spoiler

• Anthus likes this

#19 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

Lest we forget the last time we had a Metroid game with a heavy story focus...

Honestly, we could probably have a story focused Metroid, just don't change Samus into an emotional trainwreck. I mean she has been on countless missions but breaks down at the sight of Ridley, despite killing him how many times now? If Samus was actually the same Samus in Other M, the game would be far more tolerable and might be accepted despite the hundreds of issues throughout the game's design.

Anyway... Could you have imagined a Metroid game on Wii U?  Because man if you wanted to put another nail into the coffin a series that does not sell that well in general, why not put it on a console that never did well while you're at it? 

Perhaps if they made a decent number of games including Metroid, the system would've sold better to begin with. I'd buy a Metroid on the Wii U day one provided it isn't questionable in quality. I.e Other M.

• Matthew likes this

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:58 PM

I really think a Metroid game could have worked on the Wii U. Give them some credit, guys.

And yes, Matthew, the "Oh, wait, this game isn't long enough" keys. Another high point of that game. :P

• Matthew likes this

#21 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:08 PM

While lack of games was a problem for the Wii U especially in that first year drought- the most crucial time to show that you have a library- I'm gonna point more toward the fact that the Wii U was marketed horribly and that killed it early on.  Most people didn't realize it was a new system and just thought it was an add-on for the Wii- and without third party support it was never going to sell well anyway.  From what I've heard, too, developing for the Wii U internally was difficult at times because Nintendo's devs weren't used to the jump in quality compared to developing for the Wii.  I'm gonna stick with my guns and say that Metroid wouldn't have been successful even if the Wii U had done okay, especially since it's one of their lesser selling series- for example: *gestures at every entry*

• Anthus and Matthew like this

#22 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:05 AM

I can agree with that to an extent. Especially if another a Wii U Metroid would have been a continuation of the current 3D formula. I really wanted the Wii U to not suck, but here we are. :P

#23 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:17 AM

Honestly, we could probably have a story focused Metroid, just don't change Samus into an emotional trainwreck. I mean she has been on countless missions but breaks down at the sight of Ridley, despite killing him how many times now? If Samus was actually the same Samus in Other M, the game would be far more tolerable and might be accepted despite the hundreds of issues throughout the game's design.

To be entirely fair, Ridley has caught her off guard before. For instance, in Super Metroid, where his unexpected appearance led to him escaping with the baby. Regarding her PTSD, there's a valid reason there. That being Ridley died. She saw him die. She saw his corpse burn. She saw the planet his corpse burned on disintegrate. And yet, here he is again, the ghost from her nightmares, back from the dead somehow just to torment her further. Additionally, I remember an article where the issue was discussed with an actual PTSD patient (war veteran) who vouched for the incident being very realistic, in the sense that sometimes you just hit the breaking point and seize up in that manner.

Regarding the arguments about story-driven Metroid games, while I admittedly haven't played Prime 2, I don't think having the games driven by the plot is necessarily a bad thing. Fusion was plot-driven, and I thought it was phenomenal. There's also a fair amount of Prime 3 dislike, but again, I thought it was a solid Metroid game, and I was more than happy for the plot. Especially Rundas. Nintendo: Give more Rundas.

#24 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

Prime 2 isn't very story-focused at all, honestly. There's a main narrative and a few story cutscenes in the beginning areas to set things up, but it's still very much an "isolated on an alien world" kind of game. Also Anthus is wrong, dark world was awesome. *cuddles his copies of ALttP and Prime 2*

• Anthus likes this

#25 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:26 AM

To be entirely fair, Ridley has caught her off guard before. For instance, in Super Metroid, where his unexpected appearance led to him escaping with the baby. Regarding her PTSD, there's a valid reason there. That being Ridley died. She saw him die. She saw his corpse burn. She saw the planet his corpse burned on disintegrate. And yet, here he is again, the ghost from her nightmares, back from the dead somehow just to torment her further. Additionally, I remember an article where the issue was discussed with an actual PTSD patient (war veteran) who vouched for the incident being very realistic, in the sense that sometimes you just hit the breaking point and seize up in that manner.

But that's the thing, Samus has gone through so much (especially if you consider the Prime series canon; I do personally.) that Ridley appearing for what? The 5th time? Isn't that a bit ridiculous for her to have this PTSD attack now of all times? Considering the amount of stuff that happens in the Prime games alone one would assume she would be able to handle that mentally if she handled those missions which were far worse than a Ridley clone being created and attacking her. I just have a really hard time thinking we even have the same Samus in Other M for so many reasons.

(I'm aware of the whole "Prime games didn't happen" excuse Other M is trying as well. But all that is more BS than the entirety of Other M if they want to exclude them.)

#26 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

Prime 2 isn't very story-focused at all, honestly. There's a main narrative and a few story cutscenes in the beginning areas to set things up, but it's still very much an "isolated on an alien world" kind of game. Also Anthus is wrong, dark world was awesome. *cuddles his copies of ALttP and Prime 2*

But ALttP's dark world is actually fun.

#27 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

I think Metroid isn't appealing to the main audience of Nintendo, but this is just guessing and I have no statistics or facts. Personally I stayed away from Metroid until recently. I've been playing Metroid Prime 1 (or rather the trilogy on the Wii) and I'm extremely positively surprised. I never thought Metroid is so fun.
  • Matthew likes this

#28 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Pretty much the only stuff i didn't liked in Prime 2 was the Spider Guardian and Boost Guardian. Easily two of the worst bosses in the entire series. Ammo system was fine but becomes redudant midway through the game because of how abundant ammo becomes. Might as well just made it like the other games with infinite ammo.

#29 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Ah Metroid, how I miss you so. There's so much I have to say here, where do I begin?

Well, I'd like to say for starters that I don't agree with Jamian at all, I believe both the 3d Metroids (specificially the Prime Series) and the Gameboy Advance ones were very well done. I loved the Prime series, but they left it on a sour note I believe. It was at Prime 3 is where I felt they were running out of ideas and literally just pulling ideas out of their hats. For this reason Prime 3 was certainly the less memorable of the trilogy. Also, the Wii gimmicks didn't really help that one much.

Next I'd like to make a comment about Samus' PTSD with Ridley. If I recall correctly, according to the Metroid lore, it was Ridley that killed her parents. I mean come on people, there's a reason Samus has a deep hearted fear and hatred for Ridley. I'm not sure if this was canon though because I'm sure it was from written material for the games. It was certainly not of the games themselves and I'm sure this is where Team Ninja pulled some of their lore. 

Also, lets face it, Nintendo made a big mistake trusting into Team Ninja for the project. Team Ninja isn't a very good developer, all their games were filled with poor design decisions but they were a very popular 3rd party developer during the time. It was a strange decision for Nintendo to go with Team Ninja considering their decision choices weren't always the best. I don't see Nintendo normally just going with one of the popular guys to make a game.

Either way, between Prime 3 and Other M, Metroid just wasn't doing very good here in the west as good as it did.

I say the west because as far as I know, we are Metroid's main audience. I'm sure I've read a few times that Metroid overall just isn't very popular over in Japan. Also, the series doesn't fit into Nintendo's family friendly image that they are trying to present. I remember I was talking to a friend, and said "If there is another Metroid game, they'll probably just go all Wind Waker on it with cartoon like graphics", and not even a week later Federation Force was announce. Man, was that game ever criticized. 

Right now at the moment. I don't feel Nintendo sees anything positive coming from Metroid other than the demand from a very "specific" audience. They see this demand, and thus making a future Metroid certainly possible. But is the series a priority? Absolutely not. 

Last but not least, I doubt Retro Studios really cares much more for Metroid because it seems they are about reviving other dead series such as Donkey Kong. It is possible that Retro will find something else to revive sooner than going back to Metroid. 

• Matthew likes this

#30 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

According to the Metroid timeline released by Nintendo, Other M is the fifth time she fights with Ridley. Why would in the world would she have PSTD when seeing Ridley when she "killed" him four times? By this point she should be annoyed the fact that he can't seem to die. The PSTD was stupid and contrived.

Then again, Other M seems to disregard a majority of the stuff that happened before, so what do i know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users