Photo

Super Mario Run

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:42 AM

The first four minutes of this demonstrate the game a little more, though it's not much new. Also apologies for Fallon's overreacting.

EDIT: Looks like a new introductory trailer went up as well.

#17 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Man, Nintendo's marketing has been really good lately.

#18 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

Flappy Mario.

#19 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

http://mashable.com/...moto-interview/

A short interview about the history of Mario Run. I'm kind of alarmed they almost considered a jump-only game on the Wii and relieved they had the sense not to realize that on the system. I'm also not entirely sure I understand the "security" argument in regards to making sure the game has to always be connected, however... and by that connection, I'm hoping data plans are an option as well, not just wifi, otherwise... Well, there goes the whole idea of it being accessible anywhere and everywhere.

#20 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

The mandatory online is absolutely absurd, and I don't think Nintendo should get away with this without serious flak, and IMO, impact to sales. I honestly think this is something important enough to boycott. I'm not getting it, at least. One of the biggest reasons I get games for my phone is to play on trips such as on a plane or when I may be on the road where signal may be sketchy. If Nintendo isn't going to allow me to play during that, then they don't deserve my money. At least not $10 of it.

#21 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:47 PM

http://mashable.com/...moto-interview/

I'm also not entirely sure I understand the "security" argument in regards to making sure the game has to always be connected,

"Just to be clear: When you say "security," you mean the risk of piracy, right?

That's correct."

From the bottom of the article. 

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, but if a user's pirating the software, couldn't they just detect that and lock out the user using a pirated copy? I understand there are ways around that but it's both a super paranoid decision and, again, kind of defeats the point of having Mario on the go. I much agree with LtM, this is a foolish decision and will probably hurt them, or at least this game, if they don't backpedal. Again, if it works just fine off mobile data, I suppose that's not so bad, but that won't fly for everyone...

#23 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

Again, if it works just fine off mobile data, I suppose that's not so bad, but that won't fly for everyone...

http://appleinsider....ection-for-play

Apparently it takes 75mb an hour to play, so hopefully you have a good amount of free data you don't use each month. Assuming you only play an hour each day, that's over 2GB of data. I have an unlimited data plan, but a lot of people don't. This is just getting more and more ridiculous.

#24 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

http://appleinsider....ection-for-play

Apparently it takes 75mb an hour to play, so hopefully you have a good amount of free data you don't use each month. Assuming you only play an hour each day, that's over 2GB of data. I have an unlimited data plan, but a lot of people don't. This is just getting more and more ridiculous.

Nintendo, why do you do this? I was looking forward to this game (if only to keep me entertained until BotW comes out).

I have a very limited plan because I'm too cheap to shell out for more.

#25 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

Yeah I'm not really feeling the 'always online' thing. I think it will hurt the game, in some ways, but at the end of the day, the average person won't care or notice. I have 2 gigs a month, and already use a lot of mobile data, so this does kinda suck for me. As pointless as it might be, I'm really hoping this doesn't become the norm for their mobile releases but if piracy is that big of a concern, it very well could be.

Or we could stop pirating their games, and making them paranoid freaks, but who has time for that? :P

#26 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

Ouch. Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this either. Granted, I was always skeptic about the game, and I would only be able to get it on Android anyway when it comes out later, but some of the content seemed a little deeper and interesting than initially presented. However... with this kind of requirement, I would probably play no more than the demo version. :-/

I think it will hurt the game, in some ways, but at the end of the day, the average person won't care or notice.

I dunno, I feel like the average person would want to have access to this game anywhere, say the bored kid sitting at the restaurant table while their parents carry on some boring conversation, or in the car to and from the grocery store. Or in the cart while in said grocery store. Yes, that's kids, but plenty of adults commute as well, say by train or by bus. Me? I just stay at home, and if I'm taking any games on the road it's my 3DS.

#27 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

I am interested in this, but I am an Android user, so I can't for the time being. The always online thing is irritating, but so long as it doesn't use a lot of data, it should be alright. It does have a bit more to it, which does make it a bit more attractive, so I will probably give it a shot.

#28 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

I dunno, I feel like the average person would want to have access to this game anywhere, say the bored kid sitting at the restaurant table while their parents carry on some boring conversation, or in the car to and from the grocery store. Or in the cart while in said grocery store. Yes, that's kids, but plenty of adults commute as well, say by train or by bus. Me? I just stay at home, and if I'm taking any games on the road it's my 3DS.

This is true. I observe this every day at work myself. Parents bring their kids in, and give them a tablet or phone while they sit in the cart (or much to my chagrin) run around the store and touch things, so that is a huge part of the user base. I feel like a lot of people who already do play games on their phones (or let their kids) out in the world probably have unlimited data. Even though I have 2 gigs, I don't lose connection if I go over it. Hell, I don't even pay more, it just slows down to where it is hard to watch YouTube at not-shit resolutions, but webpages, and games generally load/ run fine. Either way though, it is kind of a kick in the pants that you must be online at all times.

As far as a demo, I'm still not entirely clear on what is different between the free game, and the 10 dollar game. :shrug:

I am interested in this, but I am an Android user, so I can't for the time being. The always online thing is irritating, but so long as it doesn't use a lot of data, it should be alright. It does have a bit more to it, which does make it a bit more attractive, so I will probably give it a shot.

I have an Andoird phone too. Guess they are easier to hack or something, if Nintendo has "security concerns" that they feel make it a better choice to release on iOS first. :P But I think really, they don't want people doing Pokemon Go levels of hacking. but it's not really that type of game, so I dunno.

EDIT: They should have used this song in that trailer (Around 6:18, it's basically the same trailer for Mario Bros 3)! Gah, this video still gives me goosebumps. edit: I also love that you can hear, "Waaaaaari-O!!" in the background.

#29 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

The problem with games with the always online requirement is that if you go into an area that has a bad signal (just about every grocery store by me) you can't even play the game. Pokemon Shuffle Mobile has this feature while the 3DS Pokemon Shuffle doesn't, so odds are this game didn't need it. They just felt the need to have it for security or whatever. Extra battery drain and data usage also sucks.

#30 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

Not that I was particularly interest in the game before, but as someone with a pretty low monthly data cap, the always online requirement makes the game all but unplayable for me. Add to that that I mostly play mobile games in places with no cell service or a bad signal, and now it's not even convenient for me if I had the data to play it. I can't help but feel that the online requirement is incredibly idiotic on their part, as it defeats the entire purpose of the game being playable anywhere if I can only play it at home, connected to wifi, where I might as well be playing something on a console instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users