• Please log in to reply
774 replies to this topic

#16 Smiles the Death Bringer

Smiles the Death Bringer

The smiling demon!

• Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(DavidReinold @ Dec 2 2012, 09:51 PM) View Post

(this is the part where I realize people liked Dragon Ball Z... and then I curl up in a corner and weep for humanity...)

You are probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like DBZ, it's probably the only anime I really like...

#17 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE(Ovasity @ Dec 2 2012, 10:52 PM) View Post
You are probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like DBZ, it's probably the only anime I really like...
Would you mind explaining to me the appeal of fifteen episodes of meaningless banter followed by a single episode of two buff dudes screaming at each other, with occasional plot devices pulled out of the writer's ass at random intervals...?

Also, I am definitely NOT the only person on Earth who dislikes Dragon Ball Z. Talk to any Dragon Ball purist, and they'll tell you that Z was an abomination. DBZ was the Dragon Ball equivalent of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Edited by DavidReinold, 03 December 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#18 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE(DavidReinold @ Dec 2 2012, 09:51 PM) View Post

I don't get how anyone can actually sit through an episode of Naruto, let alone Shippuden. It's absolutely vexing. I mean the manga was sort of alright for the first ten volumes but the anime... no. Just no. It's worse than Dragon Ball Z... (this is the part where I realize people liked Dragon Ball Z... and then I curl up in a corner and weep for humanity...)

I don't know... I guess I just like the series? I can see how they lack of fighting and the constant banter about battle plans can get a little irritating, but I've loved Naruto AND Dragon Ball Z since I was little and I don't think anything is going to change that.

#19 Smiles the Death Bringer

Smiles the Death Bringer

The smiling demon!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(DavidReinold @ Dec 3 2012, 02:10 AM) View Post

Would you mind explaining to me the appeal of fifteen episodes of meaningless banter followed by a single episode of two buff dudes screaming at each other, with occasional plot devices pulled out of the writer's ass at random intervals...?

Also, I am definitely NOT the only person on Earth who dislikes Dragon Ball Z. Talk to any Dragon Ball purist, and they'll tell you that Z was an abomination. DBZ was the Dragon Ball equivalent of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

It's flashy, the animation and characters are good, it's intense, and there's always a lot at stake so there's a lot of hero motivation.

Also I'm probably the only person on earth who actually kind of liked the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. (and the fourth Indiana Jones movie for that matter)

Edited by Ovasity, 03 December 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#20 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Nov 29 2012, 11:33 PM) View Post
As for myself, generally I despise anime so I rarely watch it.
While I try to avoid being a crazed fanatic, I've never understood people who "despise anime." It's never really made much sense to me. While there are some tropes that are quite frequent in almost all anime series, anime is in a sense a very broad term. It's like saying "I don't like TV", or "I don't like books", or "I don't like movies." There's such a wide variety of anime, that honestly just flat out saying that you don't like it is just being close minded. I guess I could understand not liking the traditional art style... but even that varies with some series having fairly realistic styles.

Just take it from someone who honestly doesn't care for 75% of the anime series that have been coming out in the last 5 years or so. There's a trend labeled as "moe", which can basically be described as "cute girls doing cute things." For anyone who has seen the series K-On, that's a big example. It's ridiculously popular - but I don't like it. It bores me. Unfortunately, it has been the focus of a lot of series over the last few years. However, despite the fact that I don't like it, and some other genres of anime, there have been some amazing series (IMO) mixed in.

Anyway, I'm currently keeping up with Sword Art Online and Magi as it comes out in Japan. Also, my roommates and I are watching Higurashi (a really good psychological thriller series).

I do enjoy recommending series, so if anyone would like some recommendations, just shoot me a PM with what you like, and I'll see if I can think of anything. icon_razz.gif
  • Jared, Matthew and Naru like this

#21 Smiles the Death Bringer

Smiles the Death Bringer

The smiling demon!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Dec 3 2012, 08:13 AM) View Post

While I try to avoid being a crazed fanatic, I've never understood people who "despise anime." It's never really made much sense to me. While there are some tropes that are quite frequent in almost all anime series, anime is in a sense a very broad term. It's like saying "I don't like TV", or "I don't like books", or "I don't like movies." There's such a wide variety of anime, that honestly just flat out saying that you don't like it is just being close minded. I guess I could understand not liking the traditional art style... but even that varies with some series having fairly realistic styles.

Just take it from someone who honestly doesn't care for 75% of the anime series that have been coming out in the last 5 years or so. There's a trend labeled as "moe", which can basically be described as "cute girls doing cute things." For anyone who has seen the series K-On, that's a big example. It's ridiculously popular - but I don't like it. It bores me. Unfortunately, it has been the focus of a lot of series over the last few years. However, despite the fact that I don't like it, and some other genres of anime, there have been some amazing series (IMO) mixed in.

Anyway, I'm currently keeping up with Sword Art Online and Magi as it comes out in Japan. Also, my roommates and I are watching Higurashi (a really good psychological thriller series).

I do enjoy recommending series, so if anyone would like some recommendations, just shoot me a PM with what you like, and I'll see if I can think of anything. icon_razz.gif

Yeah, despite not being a big fan of anime, I still watch all 3 Dragon Ball Series.

#22 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Ovasity @ Dec 3 2012, 07:07 AM) View Post
the animation and characters are good,

*COUGH COUGH SPUTTER COUGH*

No. I'm sorry, but no. If you think Dragon Ball Z had good animation, your anime education is SORELY lacking. Yu Yu Hakusho had good animation. Rurouni Kenshin had good animation. CLASSIC Dragon Ball had good animation. Dragon Ball Z had meh animation at best.
  • Naru likes this

#23 Smiles the Death Bringer

Smiles the Death Bringer

The smiling demon!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(DavidReinold @ Dec 3 2012, 11:45 AM) View Post

*COUGH COUGH SPUTTER COUGH*

No. I'm sorry, but no. If you think Dragon Ball Z had good animation, your anime education is SORELY lacking. Yu Yu Hakusho had good animation. Rurouni Kenshin had good animation. CLASSIC Dragon Ball had good animation. Dragon Ball Z had meh animation at best.

Whatever happened to people being entitled to their own opinion?

#24 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yeah we're totally all allowed to like or dislike Dragon Balls, with a Z after it or any other letter. Including W, even though I think we can all agree that that's by far the worst letter, regardless of Dragon Balls or not. Also I've never seen DBZ but I find it impossible to imagine it being as bad as the Star Wars prequels.

(Disclaimer: I actually like the SW prequels! This being entirely in spite of them being really poorly made films.)
QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Dec 3 2012, 08:13 AM) View Post
Yeah... as someone who's tried to get into countless anime shows and disliked almost all of them (save just two -- Azumanga Daioh and Cowboy Bebop) I wouldn't say I hate anime at all. More that it just doesn't click with me, usually. And even if I do dislike a lot of the tropes and cliches I understand that there's a lot of diversity, and so if I'm looking for something to watch I'm willing to give an anime series a chance. If I didn't, I'd have missed out on AD and CB, both of which were absolutely wonderful experiences for me and I know that I would be worse off without them.

Strange(?) thing about me -- despite usually being annoyed or bored with anime, I find it really easy to get into and enjoy manga. Even though I also can't get into comic books. And yet, manga of all things, I like.

#25 Jubbz

Jubbz

Balls Deep

• Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm watching Sword Art Online too.

Terrible stuff. But i'm still watching, and can't figure out why for the life of me. icon_neutral.gif
  • Naru likes this

#26 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

Finally some other people that are watcing Naruto Shippuden, I thought I was the only one....

On that note, a new episode in like......4 hours icon_biggrin.gif

#27 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(Jubbz @ Dec 5 2012, 10:04 PM) View Post

Terrible stuff. But i'm still watching, and can't figure out why for the life of me. icon_neutral.gif

Yeah, the love triangle stuff if terrible, but then Kirito erases someone's face and makes everything okay again.

#28 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Juuust about done with Nichijou. (I plan to finish it either tonight or tomorrow.) After which, I'm actually not entirely sure what I'll tackle next. I'm thinking I'll start Steins; Gate, as I've heard good things about it and whatnot.

#29 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Jubbz @ Dec 5 2012, 10:04 PM) View Post

You're watching it because it's actually good. The fight scenes are amazing, as well as the story and plot. Character development is there too.

#30 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I used to watch Bleach. The arrancar arc was hard to keep interest in... Then I stopped with the fullbring arc.

Death Note was a good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users