Why do we need the F1 to go fast?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Tbh I dunno why we need that F1 key to make you go really fast on ZC games. What's the point of it? All it does it makes your character go fast and get damaged a lot from enemies and die. Seriously tho, why do we need it?

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Really good question. It's helpful in rare circumstances though and I like to use to speed up the game over sequence.

#3 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Testing?

Personally, i never used it, but i suppose it can be useful for skipping long cutscenes and stuff. It doesn't hurt.

#4 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Really good question. It's helpful in rare circumstances though and I like to use to speed up the game over sequence.

Kinda hard to Control, but same thing with F2. I think the useful one is F4 or F3.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

You also can just use the ~ key (or ` for the UK keyboards) if you don't want to press F1 to speed up and then F1 again to slow down. On the topic of the question, I only use it just to get from one place to another really quickly in ZC quests, so I mostly use it if I don't want to waste time walking from one end of the overworld to the other. It also helps a lot for those quests with really slow screen scrolling so you can kinda just skip all that waiting :P

• ShadowTiger and Item like this

#6 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

You also can just use the ~ key (or ` for the UK keyboards) if you don't want to press F1 to speed up and then F1 again to slow down. On the topic of the question, I only use it just to get from one place to another really quickly in ZC quests, so I mostly use it if I don't want to waste time walking from one end of the overworld to the other. It also helps a lot for those quests with really slow screen scrolling so you can kinda just skip all that waiting :P

Well, it does help me to push blocks and get through mazes, also cutting the grass.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

I dunno about cutting the grass, as that relies on a far more intricate amount of personal attention.

But yeah, I am constantly zipping through stuff that I've already gone through at higher than average speeds. I don't have that much time on my hands, so any little time-saver helps.

#8 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

I dunno about cutting the grass, as that relies on a far more intricate amount of personal attention.

But yeah, I am constantly zipping through stuff that I've already gone through at higher than average speeds. I don't have that much time on my hands, so any little time-saver helps.

Actually the grass thing is a faster way to get rupees and hearts in the game

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

I always keep missing the grass when I try, is all. Unless it's grass that grows back instantly or something and I don't have to move around.
  • Item likes this

#10 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

I always keep missing the grass when I try, is all. Unless it's grass that grows back instantly or something and I don't have to move around.

How does one miss grass? Lol

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

By ending up on the other side of the screen before you can swing your sword again.

That is, unless the screen's full of grass and I have the hurricane spin scroll, then that lawn is cut in 2 seconds.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

F1 also let's you fill up your hearts/ magic really fast if you have the items for it. I use it for testing but it's too fast for me to really play long term like that.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#13 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

Why do we need the F1 to go fast?

If yer not first yer last!

Shake n' bake.
  • Magi_Hero likes this

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

I typically tap the uncap button to speed through screens with no enemies, or to speed up slashing grass/healing at refill tiles, so there's your gameplay answer. As far as designing goes, if I'm writing scripts that I fear might cause lag on slower computers, I typically uncap to see what the absolute fastest my computer can run it at is so I know if I'm getting close to the danger zone. And for testing quests again, if I'm too lazy to use the goto cheat, no walls + uncap does the trick. :P
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:39 AM

I typically tap the uncap button to speed through screens with no enemies, or to speed up slashing grass/healing at refill tiles, so there's your gameplay answer. As far as designing goes, if I'm writing scripts that I fear might cause lag on slower computers, I typically uncap to see what the absolute fastest my computer can run it at is so I know if I'm getting close to the danger zone. And for testing quests again, if I'm too lazy to use the goto cheat, no walls + uncap does the trick. :P

Something that I will note, is that I have not found uncapping to be all that useful for performance impact when properly throttled. You are testing against what a system can do, at full potential. if you are seeing values of 60-70 frames, uncapped, it is meaningful, but anything over 200 fps doesn't give you enough information.

Even 120 to 150 FPS may mean nothing, unless you have an extremely powerful system. I used to see that when uncapping any quest, and now I see 700 to 900 fps regularly. The three things that slow ZScript are, in order of severity from worst, to least:

Script Errors: Writing to allegro.log is lag-intensive. Script errors, will cause massive lag. Turning off error reporting is not the correct way to solve this problem. If I see even one reported error, I fix it. Likewise, Traces write to the log, and do the same bloody thing, so disable Traces before releasing a quest.

Massive amounts of draws. By 'massive', I mean hundreds of draws. Some drawing instructions are better optimised, than others.

Iteration of huge arrays, and long nests. if you iterate an array with a size of 214747 every frame, you will see ZC fall to its knees, when you have instructions per iteration. This is because every iteration, ZC is issuing those instructions, which take time to issue, and if you for example have an iteration with ten ZScript instructions, that could equate to calling 21,474,700 ZASM instructions per frame, in the worst cases.

usually, normal nested iteration is not a problem, but if you have many nested loops, you can reduce iteration time by declaring variables outside the loops (a good idea in general), and by using reverse-loops.

Consider:

for ( int q = 1; q < Screen->NumLWeapons(); q ++ )

This is making a function call that checks the number of lweapons, per iteration. If there are 24 lweapons, it is calling NumLWeapons twenty-four times.

versus

for ( int q = Screen->NumLWeapons(); q > 0; q-- )

This makes the function call only once, and the loop results are the same, because both run in one frame.

Nesting positive loops is not ideal. Nesting negative loops is far faster, and if you nest a loop thus:

for ( int q = 0; q < 6; q++ ) {
    for ( int w = 1; w < 10; w++ ) {

The 'q' loop will declare 'w' six times, and assign it six times.

int q = 0; int w = 1;
for ( ; w < 6; q++ ) {
    for ( ; w < 10; w++ )

This is much faster, as it doe snot declare or assign w at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The number one answer is cheating, and we all know it.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 24 January 2017 - 06:53 AM.

• Russ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users