1368 replies to this topic

#1081 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

xhsdlHv.png

Basically, when you "combine" mountains or "retract" them the elevation has to change to suggest this clearly otherwise it looks weird. Always keep in mind the number of "rows" a mountain has and add and subtract each time mountains diverge or come together.

As for the water thing, maybe something like this? Or something similar. Either way I wish you good luck with your project, it should be interesting to see!

• Jared and Matthew like this

#1082 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

xhsdlHv.png

Basically, when you "combine" mountains or "retract" them the elevation has to change to suggest this clearly otherwise it looks weird. Always keep in mind the number of "rows" a mountain has and add and subtract each time mountains diverge or come together.

As for the water thing, maybe something like this? Or something similar. Either way I wish you good luck with your project, it should be interesting to see!

Thank you. I hope that I actually finish it and don't burn out on it with working every week. Right now I am doing my best to finish as much as I can on my 2 days off a week. I don't expect flawlessness visually, but I'd at least like to try to keep it pleasing and error free. And hopefully I can make up for anything that bothers people with my writing skills, things to discover and interconnective design.

Anyways, so this is what we are looking for then?

It sort of takes a while to understand proper corner tiles. Like I am not 100% on the mountain retraction on the bottom.
44xQiYZh.jpg
  • Shane, Jenny, Jared and 1 other like this

#1083 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

Looking into it now actually. I wanted to just go through each palette and check them out. The issue I had is that none of the colors were changing while I was trying to change the palette with F4. Is there a reason for that?

The palette won't change if you haven't created the screen yet (if you haven't placed a combo on layer 0 yet. You'll know if it's active if it's not a blue screen). Also, palettes only change CSets 2, 3, 4, and 9.

Thank you. I hope that I actually finish it and don't burn out on it with working every week. Right now I am doing my best to finish as much as I can on my 2 days off a week. I don't expect flawlessness visually, but I'd at least like to try to keep it pleasing and error free. And hopefully I can make up for anything that bothers people with my writing skills, things to discover and interconnective design.

Anyways, so this is what we are looking for then?

It sort of takes a while to understand proper corner tiles. Like I am not 100% on the mountain retraction on the bottom.
44xQiYZh.jpg

The mountain on the right in the left picture should be lower like the rest of the mountain on that cliff. Also, the ground detail looks really odd, those borders on the left picture shouldn't be used like that.

Also, you shouldn't merge mountain types, and the mountains on the right picture should be more varied than straight.

Edited by Dimentio, 19 April 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#1084 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Finished up the Kokiri Forest/Lost Woods

ATvHmdV.png

EDIT: It's also a handy guide for getting through the Lost Woods; since there are no in-game hints about it (although, if you use the minimap, you should be fine, at least eventually).

Edited by Binx, 20 April 2017 - 11:30 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#1085 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

The lay out, isn't that bad. Although, I'm not sold on the Lost Woods being empty. Hmmm, given classic does have a few limited tiles, I still suggest you should add a bit of details here and there: grass, rocks, anything. But then again, that's only my opinion. :P

#1086 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, I may add some more detail, the biggest issue is keeping the screens identical. That being said, the enemies onscreen do have a tendency to make it look less empty.

#1087 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, I may add some more detail, the biggest issue is keeping the screens identical. That being said, the enemies onscreen do have a tendency to make it look less empty.

Hmmm, I'd suggest to not worry too much about having the screens identical. Even if they had a bit of variety, it wouldn't lose the sense of confusion the player would have on guessing what is the right path. Jay (not sure if he's still online nowadays), did this with an old MC quest that was also based on OoT. 

But then again, you're free on your design. :)

• Naru likes this

#1088 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

Eh, I'll think about it. The intent is for it to be reminiscent of the "Forest of Maze" from the original LOZ, I only even used multiple screens/side warps instead of a maze path to shorten it and to give the player a subtle hint with the minimap. But, like I said, I'll probably add a little more detail to the individual screens. Can't have it getting too cluttered, though, or the enemies will be too difficult to avoid and fight.

Edited by Binx, 20 April 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#1089 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

Finished Hyrule Field, pretty happy with it. EDIT: Except for that tile error on the western edge of Hyrule Castle, but I fixed it already.

Hyrule Field

Also updated the Lost Woods:

Kokiri Forest

EDIT: Decided to look over my old maps of Hyrule Field and the Kokiri Forest from Trials of the Gods for comparison. Holy crap, what a difference a few years of experience can make! I'm half-tempted to re-open TotG and use these maps (With some alterations, of course, using the exact same maps would make for a very boring quest), once I finish this project.

Edited by Binx, 20 April 2017 - 11:27 PM.

• Jared and Matthew like this

#1090 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

A new map, Hyrule Castle:
snFigwN.png
It's a little closer to Kakariko than I would have liked (The screen on the bottom right is the entrance to Kakariko Village), but it's the price you gotta pay when you shrink down maps to make them easier to traverse.

Edited by Binx, 22 April 2017 - 02:40 PM.

• Eddy and Matthew like this

#1091 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

I didn't like the way the castle walls came out, so I changed them.
9aZ9k4U.png

• Eddy, Matthew and Naru like this

#1092 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

Dimentio, I took what you said into account and worked on fixing the mountain issue. Haven't done anything else with the borders, except close them off yet. I kind of like the borders to be honest. But it's something I am just gonna keep as is, for now at least. I'd rather hold off on playing around with that area until I have a bit more experience.

Anyways, here is the basic layout for the Lost Woods. It's not entirely finished. I want to get the top half a bit more active, like the bottom half. Even then, still edit the bottom half further. If it wasn't already obvious, this is inspired by the Skull Woods layout from A Link to the Past. There are drop downs into the below area, and stairs that lead back up. I have to add more, which I will probably do by actually hand editing a printout of the map. I set it up to where when you step on the slanted surfaces, conveyors will pull you toward the pit.

fVmkqXP.png

#1093 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:56 AM

Recolored Hyrule Field.

CfFBYD0.png

• Avaro and Naru like this

#1094 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

I don't like the yellow color of the houses, the stairs that are as brown as the mountains, the blue masterkeydoor, the candle-lights without candles on the castle-walls. The dark green trees feel a bit too dark, only a bit light green. And the gasha-trees, please edit them a bit to fill the hole for the gasha-nut.

[Edit] Just my opinion, but I just looked up your previous version of the map and I like the old palette and colors a lot more than the new ones.

Edited by Naru, 02 May 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#1095 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Well, there's your to-do list!

I do think that, for wooden houses, the yellow cast is a bit strong. I've also seen stairs that were clearly carved out of the mountainsides, in which case the similar color was to be expected, but since these seem clearly man-made, a different color might suit them better. Maybe the same as the wood from the houses if you want them to look like they were built from the same material. The green of the grass(y stuff) in the center of the stone buildings is quite bold / saturated to compared to every other green. Unless you have a specific reason, I'd suggest pulling it back.

To be clear, I generally like it. Most of your colors are distinct, and nothing appears mucky to me. But it is those matters regarding the consistency of hue and saturation that should be tweaked up.

• Avaro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users