Conventions Thread

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

I think this deserves to be a separate topic. This topic also serves for sharing your upcoming convention experiences.

Have you ever been to a convention before whether it would be Comic Con, a Gaming convention, or an Anime convention? What was your experience like? Did you meet several of your favorite artists, singers, or actors?

I started going to conventions about four months ago with Anime Central 2015. I had a really fun time at the event. I met a lot of people who share the same interests as me, went to several amazing panels, shop around from all the awesome merchandise they offered at the dealer's room, and also meet some of my favorite voice actors. From the three cons I went to this year, I met several voice actors such as Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Micah Solusod, Alexis Tipton, Cherami Leigh, Sonny Strait, Greg Ayres, Spike Spencer, Chuck Huber, and even Eric Stuart (voice of Brock/James/Kaiba). I also like the game rooms they offered. At Anime Iowa, a lot of Smash players were all after me after winning 6 straight matches as Robin. That was such a fun memory from that event. Overall, I'm now starting to attend more conventions. I have three cons I plan I going to for 2015 and quite a few in 2016.

What are your convention stories? Who knows? We might run into each other one day!

Edited by Dawnlight, 16 August 2015 - 08:56 PM.

• Logos likes this

#2 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

I've never been to a convention. I've always wanted to go to PAX, though. Maybe when I'm independent and have enough expendable income :>

Glad to hear you had such a fun time though! I bet winning all though smash games was pretty thrilling.

Edited by Logos, 16 August 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#3 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:11 PM

Next year will be my 7th time going to FanimeCon in San Jose, California.

It's every memorial day weekend.  I have to say, I enjoy that place so much, that it's very sad when I go.  My friend Adam and I have likened it akin to leaving a horcrux there, and retrieving it again once the con starts over.

I've met LittleKuribo about 3 times already, and met Daisuke Ishiwatari, the main composer of Guilty Gear, and the band Phoenix Ash.

All in all, I love going there.  The cosplays are great.  Last year, about 25-26k people went.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

I went to Anime Expo in July, and am planning on going again next year. Anime's not really my thing, but my girlfriend and her friends are all into it, and it's fun going with them. Not to mention, people watching at an expo is always fun. So many cosplays... We're actually planning two big group cosplays for next year: Four Swords and Teen Titans, so it oughta be enjoyable.

#5 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

I've been to one last year with MeleeWizard.  It was an Animazement event.  Pretty fun experience.  

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

I've never been to a convention before since most of them are never in London ;_; The recent Minecon was in London, but I missed it >_>

However, I have been to a musical event for The Legend of Zelda over in North London, and I've never seen so many Zelda fans gathered up like that in all my life. Besides that though, that's about it.

• Timelord likes this

#7 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

I went go Grand Rapids Comic Con last year and plan to go again this year. It was a blast. Met some cool up-and-coming artists, Nichelle Nichols of 'Star Trek' fame. Bought close to $500 bucks worth of swag. Fun time for sure.

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

I have attended AVCon, my city's own anime and video game convention. Though it's nothing too special, it's real fun with friends and family.

#9 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

5-year Anime North goer. I look forward to it every year for all kinds of reasons. The past two years I've even met Arkada randomly around the con which was pretty cool. The first time I made a fool out of myself, but the second time went much better, ha ha.

Usually I spend a good chunk of time in the dealer's room and artist alley nabbing cool stuff where I can. (I'm big on buttons and prints. On-the-spot commissions are also a lot of fun!) Every year I have an idea on what I want to find, but I always end up surprised by the end. It's a nice feeling, really. x3 This past year actually got me into collecting (Super) Famicom games with finding Puyo Puyo and Super Castlevania IV (complete in box, too!) for an actual fair price.

There's also an evening event on Friday known as Nominoichi where a bunch of con goers buy tables and sell their old anime (and more) stuff. I've been able to scope out some good deals there, which is always fun. x3 (I walked out of there with Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for 10 bucks and SMT Strange Journey for 20, among some other cool deals. Last year I managed to get a 1:1 Eevee plush for muuuuch cheaper than what they normal command) It's incredibly crowded, but worth it. At least, to me. XD

Cosplay is another thing I looove about the con. I've cosplayed a bit myself though I'm pretty bad at it. xD I usually enlist help wherever I can. But seeing some of the amazing things other people can do is always cool. This and this from the past con are a few examples. There's also a plethora of things that just kinda happen. Last year, I ended up talking to a guy for a good chunk of time (half an hour at least) about importing Japanese games, the hardware that goes with it and the like. There was also plenty of Shantae discussion too, which he was a big fan of. Stuff like that really makes it for me. I even found out I met someone I work with at the con two years prior to talking to them recently just from a cosplay they did. xD

I'd like to do more cons in the future, but they're kind of expensive if you're traveling out of town to one in my experiences. XD

• Evan20000 likes this

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

So my next con will be Ramencon on September 18th at Merriville, Indiana. The notable guests are Richard Epcar, Elyn Stern, Jon St. John (the voice of Duke Nukem), and probably the best guest J Michael Tatum! I heard Tatum is a really funny guy! I can't wait for this event! :)

I'll probably be at the game room playing Smash Bros! 

Edited by Dawnlight, 08 September 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

So this weekend, I went to Ramencon 2015 in Merrillville, Indiana. It's a pretty good small anime convention. A lot of people said that you go there to meet new people, and I couldn't agree more! I ended up meeting so many new people there and ended up sharing a lot of stories about cons, anime, gaming, and life in general.

The guests I met at Ramencon were Richard Epcar and his wife Ellyn Stern. Epcar and Stern voiced hundreds of video game and anime characters. I also met J. Michael Tatum. He's best known for voicing Sebastian in Black Butler, Craft Lawrence in Spice and Wolf, and his favorite role: Okabe in Steins;Gate. Tatum is such a funny guy. I had a really fun conversation with him. I been to two of his panels and they were some of the most hilarious panels I have ever seen! Tatum really knows how to bring the house down. And man oh man did I hear a lot of squeaking from the ladies fangirling over him.

The cosplays were pretty average. ACen and Midwest definitely had way better cosplays.

And then we get to the game room. This is where it gets a little funny. I was playing 8-player Smash using my main character Robin...and I actually made someone smash their controller to the ground and rage quit because i kept beating him. :(  

Overall, I had a pretty fun time! My next con is Youmacon in Detroit on Halloween weekend.

• Eddy and Astromeow like this

#12 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Dawnlight loves anime. A true anime warrior.

See you all next year at Awesome games done quick 2016, and Nan Desu Kan 2016

#13 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

October 16-18 is Grand Rapids Comic con. I'm going. If any of you guys show up, let me know. 

Dawnlight, considering you only live a couple of hours away, you might wanna consider it. It was a blast last year and it's moving to a much bigger venue (and already damn near sold out.) At this rate, we'll be in fucking Van Andel next year.

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:27 AM

October 16-18 is Grand Rapids Comic con. I'm going. If any of you guys show up, let me know. 

Dawnlight, considering you only live a couple of hours away, you might wanna consider it. It was a blast last year and it's moving to a much bigger venue (and already damn near sold out.) At this rate, we'll be in fucking Van Andel next year.

I know Trina Nishimura is gonna be there. I always wanted to meet her, but it's a Comic Con which means they charge you for Everything! My next con is actually two weeks after that. I'm planning on going to Youmacon in Detroit. They tell me it's a really huge con similar to Anime Central.

EDIT: Hmm, admission is VERY cheap for this con. I'll think about. I might just do a one day there. 

Edited by Dawnlight, 01 October 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#15 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

Neat. I've heard of Youmacon, and people keep telling me I need to go, but it's in Detroit. I will not touch Detroit.

Also, if you do end up doing a day at GRCC let me know. I'll buy you a pop or a beer or something. I still have yet to meet another member of the PZC community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users