The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Please log in to reply
1641 replies to this topic

#1396 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

I feel like it would be considered "too violent" if Link just straight up ate fairies fam.
  • Adem likes this

#1397 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

EDIT: And Koh, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure both NES and SNES ran at 60. (Edit: these guys probably know their stuff) I know some games didn't though, like StarFox for example. I feel like it was harder to notice frame-rates then, not only because people weren't as aware of that kind of stuff, but also because most 2D animations done on those system didn't really take advantage of the amount of FPS. Even if there are 60FPS, a sprite with 8 frames of animation will look the same, always, unless the frame rate dips below 8FPS. :P

I was wrong about the original Wind Waker on Gamecube (I believe there are Gamecube games that run at 60FPS though, like maybe Metroid Prime 1&2?). Any NES and Sega home console released before the N64 and Playstation, operated at 60FPS. Games that alternated visibility of a sprite every other frame for some effects (temporary invulnerability after taking damage for example) would appear as though the object wasn't flickering or was invisible for the entire flicker duration when captured at 30FPS. TASVideos worked around the issue before Youtube supported 60FPS by using a script with their video compression software that would modify the frame pacing during these moments so that some semblance of flickering would be present in the resulting 30FPS video on Youtube (a lot of these old videos have since been reproduced at 60FPS and replaced the original Youtube upload).

Some game devs for these old NES & Sega consoles developed flicker effects that didn't flicker the object every other frame, instead I believe they made the object flicker every 3rd frame which meant at 30FPS the flicker would be visible as the flickering would alternate between even and odd frames.

In any case, Wind Waker HD's frame rate is significantly less consistent than the Gamecube game which is a bigger sin than just having a consistent 30FPS frame rate (the negative effect of variable frame rate also worsens as the average frame rate is lowered, so frequently varying frame rate has a bigger impact on 30FPS material than it would on 60FPS material).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 23 March 2017 - 11:57 PM.

#1398 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

Really? He made it sound like you were putting the fairy in the fire and actually cooking it. Man, I've got to get this game soon. It looks like a ton of fun.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#1399 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

Really? He made it sound like you were putting the fairy in the fire and actually cooking it. Man, I've got to get this game soon. It looks like a ton of fun.

Cooking spoiler:

#1400 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Finally got my hands on a Switch. Starting Breath of the Wild tonight! So pumped. 

Edited by Adem, 24 March 2017 - 11:45 AM.

• Anthus, The Satellite and Naru like this

#1401 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

So I'm gonna time myself walking from the southwest part of the game, all the way up to the northeast most point in the game. I'm guessing 30-40 minutes. I'm trying to figure out how many square miles/ kilometers the game is. These high people on reddit said 140 square miles, but that is absolutely out of the question. There's no way. I'd guess it's approx. 6x6 real miles, or 36 sq. Miles. Thoughts?

Also sorry rest of the world for using these archaic miles. Who does that? I heard there's like one other country.
  • Jared likes this

#1402 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

I've seen this, though I'm not sure how accurate it is, which pegs BotW at about 24 square miles.
  • Anthus likes this

#1403 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

That's pretty believable. I just clocked in at 48 minutes from gerudo to akkala. But holy shit, TW3 is huge.

Granted, Link's walk speed even without dashing is way faster than a real person walks so the "average walk speed of 5 mph" doesn't always work in video games. I'd guess it's about 5-6 miles by 6 miles.

Edit: I wonder if that botw map is from the e3 footage or something. There's some very big differences, notably with death mountain among other things.
  • Matthew likes this

#1404 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

So at "165 hours or more" in (Switch unfortunately only gives you a ballpark, not the exact number of hours you've played), I have exactly half the number of total Koroks in the game, and three sidequests left to find. And yes, I'm using a guide for the Koroks, because no. Gonna do my best not to use a guide at all for the sidequests, but if I get too desperate, then I'm turning to one.

Easily the longest I've spent on a single file of a Zelda game.

#1405 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

Just hit 201 hours on the Wii U version. Still need 7 shrines, and I don't wanna use a guide, but I have for a few things. Dunno if I'll bother getting all koroks or not.

#1406 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

Not sure how many hours I've put in (probably over 100 hours), but I still got a lot to find and do without using a guide. I'm trying to pad it out until the DLC arrives and that's only if the DLC is worth my money. I want to see how they tackle hard mode though... Also the claims that there was going to be an existing hard mode in game is now false from my understanding, so they really did lock the only hard mode behind a pay wall this time around. :( Not that I mind too much, the game's pretty hard (but fair and consistent) which is why my curiosity grows for this DLC.

Also as for scale, I believe Nintendo scaled a location from the real world as a reference. Don't want to be a fool and assume what though. :P

#1407 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

I think the only claims were by fans reading too much into "new hard mode." They took that to mean there would be one in the game and a new one for the DLC. I don't think Nintendo ever said that themselves. Either way, hoping this "new hard mode" is actually something substantial still.

#1408 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:50 AM

Oh, I meant fans claiming that there was going to be one because of the "new" part. Nintendo never said it themselves which is why people were divided between there being a hard mode in game and there only hard mode being behind DLC. I'm really hoping it's more than just increased damage and decreased weapon durability. Things like that just come off as lazy especially considering the current difficult is already quite the challenge. I just wonder what they have planned if it required them to not include it in the final product? That's my line of reasoning why I expect this to be substantial.

As for new map features, I wonder what else they could do with that? The map system seems complete... Hm.

#1409 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:10 AM

Is there a world size comparison against Ocarina of Time?

#1410 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Is there a world size comparison against Ocarina of Time?

http://www.ign.com/b...size.454920821/

Spoiler

Here's a better image with all 3D maps except MM:
http://www.zeldainfo.../01/tvHB6WH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users