Super Mario Odyssey

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#31 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

I will say that all the girders in the city look cool, hoping for an original arcade DK segment

Edited by Cukeman, 15 January 2017 - 06:06 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#32 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

Whoever designed that area is clearly a huuuuge fan of DK, considering there are references to Diddy, Dixie, K.Rool, and Squawks throughout the city.

• Anthus likes this

#33 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

GameExplain made a short video about that, and it really makes me wonder why there are all these DK references. Hmm, could there be a throwback mission that plays like the original Donkey Kong in the city? Those red girders in the distance really make me think so. 

#34 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

I'm really excited for this game! I adored the Super Mario Galaxy series, but I did feel the levels were a little constrained. Mario exploring large, open areas is a significant transition that is only amplified by the freshnees of the settings themselves: large cities and forests and abstract lands that we've never seen Mario explore before.

Some people in this tread find the visuals "jarring." The graphics are definitely heterogeneous, but I don't find them unpleasant. Instead, I think they offer a nice, eclectic vibe akin to the Katamari series. Dissenters will disagree, and I respect that.

Either way, sign me up for this game if it gets decent reviews. :thumbsup:
  • Anthus likes this

#35 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

Looks like the game leaked early.

• thepsynergist, Anthus, Cukeman and 2 others like this

#36 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Looks like that modder might have a case against Nintendo. Afterall, they totally stole his name!

#37 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

[Warning: GTA content is obviously NSFW, but not really against rules either]

Do you see now, Nintendo?

Do you see what you've made the modding community do? lol

Who didn't see this coming?

• nicklegends, coolgamer012345 and MarinaraSauce like this

#38 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

What exactly do people mean when they say this is finally a return to SM64's hub worlds? I know SM64 had a castle with paintings, well, Sunshine had a town with graffiti paintings, and Galaxy also had a main area with scattered entrances... I just don't really see how that hasn't been present this whole time. No comment on Galaxy 2, I didn't play it.

#39 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

tjZNJcv.jpg

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#40 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

What exactly do people mean when they say this is finally a return to SM64's hub worlds? I know SM64 had a castle with paintings, well, Sunshine had a town with graffiti paintings, and Galaxy also had a main area with scattered entrances... I just don't really see how that hasn't been present this whole time. No comment on Galaxy 2, I didn't play it.

Have they said that? It's more of a return to SM64's style, yes, but not necessarily its hub worlds. In fact, there was an image... it'd take me a while to find it, but they showed basically two lines of Mario games, one having Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World, while the other had 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey. Might've been the Japanese Twitter?

I would hypothesize that New Donk City is the hub world, but seeing as Mario took off in his spaceship from it, it seems not. It looks like it might be another Galaxy 2 situation, where you have a ship but manually select your level. Galaxy 2's "hub world" was the Starship Mario and it was... kind of a pointless hub world. Then you stepped on a switch in front of the steering wheel and it took you to a level select stage somewhat akin to the NSMB games. So if Odyssey does return to hub worlds, it'll be the first time since Galaxy at least.

#41 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

I think the image you are referring to was in a video too. Possibly GameExplain, but I don't remember off hand.

I really am looking forward to returning to a hub world, but I hope there is an option to select levels or otherwise fast travel too.

#42 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Super Mario Galaxy 2 uses a map like Super Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario Galaxy 1 has a HUB world though (The space ship).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 22 January 2017 - 03:23 PM.

• Cukeman likes this

#43 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Galaxy 1's hub is also the smallest of the three. Peach's castle is probably the biggest, if you count the castle grounds and all the stuff in the basement. Delfino Plaza is probably in the middle.

#44 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:42 AM

GameExplain just made a really, really long, and informative video about the trailer. There's a lot of guessing, but a lot of cool stuff too. They spend about the first half on New Donk City, but they explore the desert, forest, and food world too (though they call it the Volcano).

#45 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Mario is a ghost? Well, he's possessing everything. Not big on the vocals/lyrics in the new trailer. Still hoping the level with the vegetables is a Super Mario 2 type area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users