• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4201 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Just beat Kingdom Hearts II.

I know there's a lot of varying opinions as to whether this one or the first was better, but I personally liked KHII better. Loved the selection of Disney worlds including Pirates of the Caribbean, Lion King, Mulan, Nightmare Before Christmas (even though its been done before), Steamboat Willie, and Tron. The Nobodies are an awesome addition, even if they do tend to make the plot convoluted, and while I was reluctant about the removal of the dodge roll mechanic at first, I found myself able to cope without it and rely more on blocking. The game would've perhaps been a little too easy if dodging had remained intact. Also, the last dungeon and last bosses were edgy as hell.

Forgot to mention I beat Last Guardian several days ago as well. Another amazing classic from Team Ico/genDesign. As I predicted, it's still not quite as good as Shadow of the Colossus, though to be fair, not many games are.

Edited by Titanium Justice, 13 March 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#4202 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Zelda, Zelda and more Zelda. 

#4203 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

Just beat Kingdom Hearts II.

I know there's a lot of varying opinions as to whether this one or the first was better, but I personally liked KHII better. Loved the selection of Disney worlds including Pirates of the Caribbean, Lion King, Mulan, Nightmare Before Christmas (even though its been done before), Steamboat Willie, and Tron. The Nobodies are an awesome addition, even if they do tend to make the plot convoluted, and while I was reluctant about the removal of the dodge roll mechanic at first, I found myself able to cope without it and rely more on blocking. The game would've perhaps been a little too easy if dodging had remained intact. Also, the last dungeon and last bosses were edgy as hell.

Research the Drive Forms, they can be leveled up to provide benefits to normal Sora when he isn't in a Drive Form. One of the benefits is a variation of the fabled... Dodge Roll ability from the first game. The problem with Tron isn't the world, it's the music. It by far has the shortest and most repetitive melody of all the game worlds and gets irritating quickly.

I like the 2nd game more because your character controls a ton better and the camera control is significantly superior (though KH 1.5 Final Mix introduces KH2 camera controls to the first game). The second game also relies less on platforming, which was pretty dreadful in the first game. The story in both games is fine.

If you're not a fan of ultra wide FOV's (90 degrees and higher) than I wouldn't recommend the PS3 HD versions of KH 1 & 2. They totally ruined the games for me by having a stupidly high FOV with no option to tone it down (hooray the sides of the screen are being horribly stretched towards the center of the screen! Totally looks great like this, thanks Squeenix!). I've no clue if they are changing this for the upcoming PS4 versions.

If you DO hate high FOV and still want a HD Widescreen experience (without the 4:3 image being stretched during the transition to 16x9) and have a capable PC (a CPU better than a Intel i7 920 and Geforce 560Ti video card), than I would suggest you take your PS2 copy and emulate it on PCSX2 to enable 16x9 gameplay without stretching (menues and HUD elements will be stretched, since their sprites) and drastically improve the rendering quality of textures and model geometry. You could also just leave the game at 4:3 and still enjoy the significantly improved texture and model geometry.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 March 2017 - 12:01 AM.

#4204 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

Speaking of emulating the game, there's a fan-translation patch for both the PS2 Final Mix versions for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Final Mix KH1 adds a couple new enemies, as well as a higher difficulty. Gummi Ship routes also get missions to try and add a bit of incentive to play them more and actually build a good ship. Enemies also get a palette swap to some really interesting new appearances, and Synthesis supposedly has some new stuff as well, both new ingredients and new items to create.

Final Mix KH2 gets a TON of additional boss fights (including every character seen in Chain of Memories as optional bosses, as well as turning a particular cutscene battle in the final world into a kick-ass fully-fleshed boss battle), a higher difficulty level that tries to change how the game works strategy-wise (Sora has half HP and overall lower stats. Enemies and bosses get additional HP and higher stats, to near-unfair levels. To compensate, you start the game with a bunch of abilities as well as 50 free AP to distribute). A new Drive Form is added, called Limit Form. It doesn't require losing Goofy or Donald, and it swaps Sora's appearance and moveset to match the first game. Your shortcut menu features all of the special attacks like Strike Raid and Ars Arcanum, and your level-up skill is Dodge Roll, meaning that you can unlock Dodge Roll for Sora's default form.

Both games also get additional cutscenes, but they aren't voiced since the voice actors had aged enough that there would be a huge difference. (Compare Chain of Memories with the original Kingdom Hearts for a good example)

Finally, regarding Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix, there's one more thing that's probably the biggest draw overall. One of the abilities you start the game with is "EXP Zero". What this does is remove the level-up system entirely from the game while you have it active. This means that you'll be playing through the entire game at LV 1. Even better, this ability is only given to you when you start the game in Critical Mode, the new super-difficult setting.

I've been playing KH2 in Critical Mode, but without the EXP Zero restriction. I got all the way to the final boss, but the last form is able to one-shot me and I can't quite figure out how to dodge the attack reliably enough to beat him. I kind of left it at that and started playing some other games, but I eventually plan on level grinding up to be able to at least have the opportunity to heal after taking the hit. (There's a new ability that's essential for Critical Mode called "Leaf Shield" that prevents you from taking damage while the Cure animation plays. I don't recall if it's in the normal game or not, though)

If you want to try emulating the two, the translations aren't very hard to find. (at least the KH2 one. It took me a while to find the KH1 patch) If you want to go with the official version, the HD remasters are based off of the Final Mix versions. Birth by Sleep has a Final Mix version as well, along with a translation for it too. I haven't played it enough to see the differences, although I know that the Mirage Arena gets a bunch of new fights, including a fight against Monstro. PPSSPP doesn't have a way to get multiplayer working, though. At least, the last time that I checked, it didn't. Normal BBS does work for multiplayer, for some reason.

Edited by kurt91, 16 March 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#4205 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

Yeah the english translation for KH2 Final Mix is pretty good, the text will often run outside the boxes but that's a pretty minor issue. The translation for the text/dialog that is exclusively found in Final Mix isn't the greatest (I assume non-exclusive dialog/text is copied & pasted from the KH2 english game) but it is passable, it also gets some of the descriptions for the keychains wrong.

Overall though it makes the gameplay of Final Mix totally accessible to an English player which is what matters most. I forgot that the Dodge Roll ability involved the Limit Form which is exclusive to Final Mix.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 March 2017 - 08:25 AM.

#4206 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:51 AM

Didn't some of the Keyblades get their abilities changed in the Final Mix versions? I know they made some balancing changes, like swapping the Flying Thrusters from dropping MP to dropping HP specifically to remove the level-grinding exploit atop Pride Rock. I could have sworn swapping Keyblade abilities was another balance change.

#4207 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

Didn't some of the Keyblades get their abilities changed in the Final Mix versions? I know they made some balancing changes, like swapping the Flying Thrusters from dropping MP to dropping HP specifically to remove the level-grinding exploit atop Pride Rock. I could have sworn swapping Keyblade abilities was another balance change.

That's why I included (or edited in) "it also gets some of the descriptions for the keychains wrong." because the english translation just copied the english descriptions from the english (non-Final Mix) game.

Keychain/Keyblade, Potato/Potahto

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 17 March 2017 - 01:28 AM.

#4208 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

Looks like the PS4 collection of Kingdom Hearts games isn't worth it after all: http://www.polygon.c...ion-bugs-issues

#4209 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Looks like the PS4 collection of Kingdom Hearts games isn't worth it after all: http://www.polygon.c...ion-bugs-issues

That's a shame, really. It's like they literally didn't even play through it once.

#4210 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

I wouldn't mind the 60FPS functionality, IF it could be toggled off via an option to avoid the various bugs caused by the increased frame rate. Increasing the frame rate, doing the bare minimum to get it working (no polishing/bug fixing) without adding an alternative does not make me want to rush out and buy the game.

Dragon's Dogma is an excellent example of a PC port that handles alternative frame rates very well, because they went through and changed the majority of functions to not be bound to the video frame rate. They also offer the ability to run at game at a wide variety of frame rates to both suit your taste and if you encounter a frame rate dependent bug you can work around it.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 18 March 2017 - 06:30 AM.

#4211 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

I'm starting a 100% completion wind waker playthrough!
  • Eddy and Cukeman like this

#4212 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

The main game I've been playing for the past couple weeks is Breath of the Wild, and I am loving it. Other than that, I have played some Fast RMX, 1, 2, Switch, and a little bit of I Am Setsuna. Don't want to dive into more than one game that's story driven right now. Also started playing The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ yesterday. Been curious about the game for a while, but when I seen it coming to the Switch, I decided it was a good of time to buy it. Overall, I'm enjoying my gaming experience right now.

#4213 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Been working on Breath of the Wild, Four Swords Adventures and Bloodborne.

#4214 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Decided to give Fallout New Vegas a second try after finding it rather boring and dull in my first playthrough. Complete 180 on this game, finding it to be a much better game than i previously thought.

Still think the aumont of factions is kind of overwhelming. Just a nitpick on my part though.

#4215 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

Finally picked up Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD for PS4. Played it once today and it's looking pretty intriguing so far.

Also, on PS3 I'm trying to get into the first Devil May Cry in the Devil May Cry HD collection, which has been a bit tricky to get into. It's a bit dated compared to later entries like DMC4, or DMC Devil May Cry, or other hack & slash games like Bayonetta, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Also, on Steam I got Ty the Tasmanian Tiger on sale. A very retro platformer from the good old days of sixth generation gaming. If you're into that kind of thing you should check this out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users