Scripted Hammer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

This isn't so much a "How to" discussion as it is a "What ideas do you have" discussion. I want to make two hammers in my game.  One is the regular hammer.  The other is a hammer with a special, scripted effect (and requires magic to use).

One idea I had was it causes the screen to shake & then stalagmites, boulders or icicles to fall…not exactly sure what but something.  These would act as projectiles that fall in a sequence & strike enemies but also hurt Link if by chance they happen to hit him (so they're not overpowered).  Then the questions becomes what pattern should they fall in & how many?  I was initially thinking they should fall in random places around the screen but quickly realized this doesn't lend itself to being very useful as you'd have to be lucky for them to fall on top of enemies.  I then tried having them fall in a line in front of Link but that didn't look as right as I thought.  My next step was to maybe try them falling in a circle around Link.

So, should I try something COMPLETELY different for this hammer or stick with the falling objects & if the latter, what should those objects be, how many & in what pattern should they fall?

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

Out of the ideas listed, I think having them fall in a circle around Link is your best bet. Maybe 5-7 could fall?

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:47 AM

You could have it hit the ground so hard that it would launch smashed projectiles at nearby enemies.

Or you could do the Hammer of Thor and have it shoot lightning bolts at nearby enemies (or in a random circle around Link).

Both of these would require Link to be immune to the effects though.

(Or I guess you could troll people with a "life cost" as well as a magic cost, either way.)

#4 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

The Quake Hammer Scroll item creates a quake effect on the hammer when you charge it up, doesn't it?  If you used that, you wouldn't need a second hammer.  Perhaps it's an upgrade?

A global script (or FFC script) that checks for the quake effect and then spawns in some eWeapons semi-randomly would work, no?

#5 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

So I sorta went a different direction with the hammer but the original idea with the stalagmites became a different idea.  Instead, it's now an ice spell where Link does his Casting animation & summons 11 fallen icicles in random spots around the screen (without using the hammer).

The new scripted hammer is now a projectile you can throw.  If you tap the B button, it's a short throw (about 2 tiles in front of Link).  If you hold the B Button, you can throw it further.  It acts a projectile weapon upon landing and can even trigger "pound' combos from a distance (just like the regular hammer up close).  The only thing it can't do like a regular hammer is destroy enemy shields.  I'm not sure if and how this can be done via script.

Thoughts?

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Probably for the best to not allow it to destroy darknut shields.  I never liked that in the first place.  Then again, that's just my own opinion, of course.  This suggestion in a way does remind me of the Hammer of Retribution, the Fighter's third weapon in Hexen, since that is a hammer with a projectile attack, although very different in nature.  It shoots a sort of projectile straight forward which causes a small explosion upon impact with an enemy.  But like the Zelda series hammer, it is also slower than a lot of other weapons, thus also a slower rate of fire.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Probably for the best to not allow it to destroy darknut shields.  I never liked that in the first place.  Then again, that's just my own opinion, of course.  This suggestion in a way does remind me of the Hammer of Retribution, the Fighter's third weapon in Hexen, since that is a hammer with a projectile attack, although very different in nature.  It shoots a sort of projectile straight forward which causes a small explosion upon impact with an enemy.  But like the Zelda series hammer, it is also slower than a lot of other weapons, thus also a slower rate of fire.

Wut? I can see that being OP with a projectile hammer, but if it uses magic, it mayn't be a problem. I lean toward giving players quasi-OP special items.

Breaking shields is the only point to the hammer IMO. Otherwise, it is a glorified key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users